"AllSportsRadio1420," hah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "AllSportsRadio1420," hah!

You're a radio station calling yourself SportsRadio1420, and it's the first day of the Major League Baseball playoffs.

So what are you broadcasting? Football talk shows, of course.

Not one of the three games today is carried on the "All Sports All the Time" radio station in this state; this despite its affiliation with ESPN.

Unbelievable.

I emailed Sports Director Bobby Curran to see if he'd got any excuse for this; he hasn't replied as of 2:35pm.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: "AllSportsRadio1420," hah!

Bobby Curran does a great job on KKEA, 1420 AM. After Curran signs off, the quality of the product goes down hill. Chris Hart is a joke and does not know sports. He is a radio disco jock from long ago that lucked into the job at 1420 AM.

And now with all their fantasy football shows, plus these loser odds beating line shows, it truly back pedals the station quality. I miss the Dan Patrick Show, that was once on their station and when 1500 AM dropped their sports line-up, no other sports radio show can measure up.

Enjoy Bobby Curran in the morning, because I tune out after his show, because it stinks after him.

Looking for "Live" Major League Baseball Playoff Games. Tune into 790 AM from the Big Island. Certain parts of Oahu can catch it. That's what I am doing.

Comment

I was similarly peeved by the absence of MLB on the radio in Honolulu today. Dan Patrick's absence is mostly his fault, since he left ESPN. You can't blame the station for not carrying a guy who left the network it's affiliated with.

I disagree about the quality of the ESPN shows. All night with Jason Smith is pretty good, and so is The Herd when one is in the mood. Also, while he needs a bit of work on his delivery, I appreciate Darrick Branch's show on Saturdays. It's pretty unpolished, but it's so different to hear a black man speaking like a black man on the radio in Hawaii, and Branch knows his stuff despite not articulating it smoothly a lot of the time.

But back to MLB: There's got to be a way to get those games on the radio, right? Yikes, I was annoyed.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        But back to MLB: There's got to be a way to get those games on the radio, right? Yikes, I was annoyed.
        Hell, pick up the Dodgers' feed from KABC. I'd be quite happy to listen to Vin Scully do playoff baseball. And the other home teams have their own radio guys doing the games as well.

Comment

and Branch knows his stuff despite not articulating it smoothly a lot of the time.
          At least he doesn't yell at the audience like Stephen A. Smith. Was that yelling guy an on-air character he did for tv?

Comment

It seems MLB has sold most of the broadcast rights to $atellite radio.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-63687782.html

SIRIUS XM Radio Announces Extensive MLB Postseason Coverage

XM listeners nationwide will get live play-by-play of every Division Series, League Championship Series and World Series game

MLB Home Plate and Mad Dog Radio channels to broadcast live on site during the League Championship Series and World Series
            XM Radio http://www.xmradio.com/mlb/index.xmc

MLB tomorrow's game broadcasts
            http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?ymd=20091008
            Check radio station websites for live streams.

Probably best to find a cable TV and watch this on TBS.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Probably best to find a cable TV and watch this on TBS.
              Oh, I did, when I was home. But for the hour or so I was out and about I'd like to have had it on in the car.

It boggles the mind, from a marketing point of view. These games (through the World Series) are MLB's premiere events, and it's bad enough that the first round is on cable-only television (the LCS games are on Big Fox), but to not have them on free radio? I have a memory of hearing them on ESPN radio a few years back; I'll have to see if they're on that network and the local boys just pre-empted them for NFL babble.

I've checked. ESPN Radio is carrying them all. Schedule here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...mlbonespnradio

So that means ESPN1420 has decided that their listeners would rather hear blather about football than live baseball.

Clever move, GM Randal Ikeda, Program Director Chris Hart and Sports Director Bobby Curran.
              Last edited by Linkmeister; October 7, 2009, 09:27 PM. Reason: Verify ESPN Radio coverage

Comment

Like it or not. Hawaii's listening audience isn't even a bleep on the ratings of ESPN raido, plus 1420 has to pay for the broadcasting rights.
                The first game of today's triple header was at 4pm Eastern time, 10am HST. We aren't anything towards the national advertising revenue.
                I know its hard to believe, but we're right below Green bay and ahead of Des Moine. Hawaii is # 72 out of the top 100 markets.
                Most of Hawaii's audience watch it on TV versus radio, and Oceanic doesn't have to pay for the rights to so TBS broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                  Like it or not. Hawaii's listening audience isn't even a bleep on the ratings of ESPN raido, plus 1420 has to pay for the broadcasting rights.
                  The first game of today's triple header was at 4pm Eastern time, 10am HST. We aren't anything towards the national advertising revenue.
                  I know its hard to believe, but we're right below Green bay and ahead of Des Moine. Hawaii is # 72 out of the top 100 markets.
                  Most of Hawaii's audience watch it on TV versus radio, and Oceanic doesn't have to pay for the rights to so TBS broadcasts.
                  So is the price for the rights exorbitant? As I understand it, when a station buys rights it also gets a few slots to put local advertising in throughout the broadcast. That would offset some of the rights fees.

Comment

and come on. we're talking about the baseball playoffs. you can't call yourself a sports radio station of you aren't broadcasting the major league baseball playoffs.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

and come on. we're talking about the baseball playoffs. you can't call yourself a sports radio station of you aren't broadcasting the major league baseball playoffs.
                      Yeah, that was my original point. Thanks, scriv.

Comment

The rights fees are apparently more than they think they can sell in advertising, plus they also have the problem of conflicting with UH sports, which they do pay a lot for those rights.

I know, I know! Baseball playoffs versus UH Wahine volleyball? Then again, look at all the NFL games 1420 doesn't broadcast.
                        The station's owner even has an ownership interest in the San Francisco Giants.

Comment

There are some things you just have to do in order to maintain cred, don't you think? I think the MLB playoffs qualify.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

How about the WNBA championship playoffs?

Comment

You will all be happy to hear ESPN 1420 has listened to the complaints and is efforting to carry some of the playoffs, but they will definitely carry the ALCS, NLCS and World Series!

WNBA?? You are being facetious aren't you?

Comment

Working...
                              X