This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahlon Moore & KHUI

Any comments on Mahlon Moore leaving KHUI 99.5FM "The Breeze", as reported in Erika's "The Buzz" column in today's Star Bulletin?

I sure wish Mahlon all the best!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Mahlon Moore & KHUI

Here is the link to Erika's article:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/03/business/engle.html

This one may become too hot of a topic. However the way I see it, the station is right in terms or whether or not it wants to accept or reject certain types of advertising. Furthermore since the Breeze went back on the air under the Salem banner, the ratings have not been all that spectacular either.

I wonder who owns the name to "The Breeze of Hawaii"? After the original Breeze went away (for Bob), Moore brought it back as an online streaming internet site. I think it was later incorporated into the current 99.5 FM.

I'm sure others can and will expand on this topic.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here is a copy of an email Mahlon sent out.

Radio can be a bad love sometimes.

Mahlon is a good guy and he will continue do well.

Kimo

Dear Friends, Family & Breeze Listeners,

I’m sending this note to let you know that I am no longer associated with 99.5 The Breeze.

Sorry for the impersonal e-mail, but this is going to a lot of people – my friends and family – as well as all of the passionate Breeze listeners who have written to the station about recent events.

For those of you who don’t know: the management of 99.5 (Salem Communications http://www.salem.cc/aboutRadioBroadcasting.htm) refused advertising from Hula’s Bar on July 21. The reason given to Hula’s was because Salem is a family company and Hula’s is a gay bar.

Hula’s had wanted to run an ad to promote the appearance of a Hawaiian performer on Saturday, July 23. The performer and his band were being flown over from the Big Island so the expense was considerable – so to ensure a crowd it was logical to buy some advertising. The performer’s record label suggested they use The Breeze because his music is in regular rotation on the station.

The Account Executive at Salem took the ad and was just getting ready to finish the paperwork when Salem management stopped the order by calling Hula’s and refusing the buy.

Hula’s, in turn, sent out a mass e-mail to promote the show – and included the fact that they were denied advertising by The Breeze.

The Honolulu gay community was outraged and e-mails began to pour in to the station, and to myself.

Needless to say, as the station’s program director – as well as a gay man – I was outraged too and knew that Salem management would have to do something publicly to assuage the situation.

I met with the two sales managers and wrote an e-mail to the General Manager, T.J. Malievsky (who was on the mainland) and suggested that the company make amends to the gay community in some way. I asked that a public apology be made; make it known that Salem does not have an anti-gay policy and that it will never happen again. Unfortunately it fell on deaf ears. I met with Mr. Malievsky upon his return and discussed the matter at length and I was prepared to resign if no apology would be forthcoming.

He was of the belief that no apology was necessary. He said that Salem is not anti-gay because The Breeze plays music by openly gay artists. He said that Hula’s advertising was denied because it sent the wrong message to the audience from a “family friendly” radio station. He said he would also refuse advertising from singles’ bars for the same reason. He then abruptly changed the conversation by expressing his displeasure with my programming of The Breeze and that my work was not satisfactory. It was obvious he was ready to sever our relationship.

We mutually agreed to end my contract.

I can’t express how saddened I am by this incident how deeply hurt I am for the gay community. It’s 2005 and we are still fighting battles to be recognized simply as who we are. And with my age marching onward at an all-too-fast pace, I couldn’t sit back and let this go. I’m sorry I will no longer be associated with 99.5, but I’ll be in a much more satisfying space.

I’ll leave you with the good news: Because I own the Breeze website as well as the streaming audio, I will continue to program The Breeze of Hawaii as an Internet radio station. And I appreciate your support.

Aloha,

Mahlon Moore

www.breezeofhawaii.com

Comment

Mahalo, Kimo.
        I've had the pleasure of knowing Mahlon for many years. As a business associate, doing reports on air for him, as a musician, and more. He's a great guy, and I'm extremely proud of him for taking a stand the way he just did.

Comment

It takes balls to make a stand like that... much respect to Mahlon.

Did find it amazing that he was so open about his own sexuality. He's never gone around broadcasting it, but this story pretty much guaranteed that he would be "out" to the public.

I also wonder if KHUI will be allowed to keep "The Breeze" moniker, since Mahlon owns the name and website.

All that said, my favorite traditional station continues to be 940 AM. Channel 800 on Oceanic digital cable is pretty good too.

Comment

For those of you who don’t know: the management of 99.5 (Salem Communications http://www.salem.cc/aboutRadioBroadcasting.htm) refused advertising from Hula’s Bar on July 21. The reason given to Hula’s was because Salem is a family company and Hula’s is a gay bar.
            Well, don't that beat all. I didn't realize gays didn't have families.

Applause to Mahlon. Big, fat, slobbery raspberries to Salem Communications.

Comment

Bravo to Mahlon. Jeers to Salem. They deserve their mediocre ratings. Gay musicians okay, gay businesses not okay? What, gays are acceptable only when they're entertaining us? (And not when they're paying us? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.)

All the more reason to spread the word about his Internet radio project.

And all the more reason for me to get off my butt and see if he'd be interested in podcasting.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                All the more reason to spread the word about his Internet radio project.
                Indeed. I've created a couple of websites for local businesses and always prominently post a link to The Breeze's website and note that my sites are best viewed while listening to The Breeze online.

Comment

There was an apology broadcast, I heard part of it over the net. Something about things being blown out of porportion and some people having or using it for their own agendas???

I only caught bits of it, anyone catch the whole thing?

Comment

Even I can't come up with a negative comment on this one, at least there is one person in broadcasting in this town that is willing to take a stand instead of kissing the ass of all the right wing freaks who own the airwaves here in Hawaii.

Comment

Met Mahlon a number of times at various Breeze events. He's a lot more passionate about the music than lotsa locals. It's Salem's loss. I wish him the best, and will continue to send people over to Breeze website.

In regards to Salem---I guess they have every right to refuse the advertising, but to do so on the grounds that Hula's is gay... I mean c'mon now---they're playing LOTS of music that are by openly gay artists. If they thought long enough, they'd realize a good part of the Hawaiian music and Hula community are gay. Salem can play their music yet can't take their money because Salem is now 'promoting' gay activities? Is this the kinda stupidity and narrowmindness that they promote?

I know it's all 'business' but what business would do something this stupid, in an island community this small?

Well, I have a feeling that KHUI just made it harder for themselves in the ratings game

As for Tiny... yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolo Paka

I mean c'mon now---they're playing LOTS of music that are by openly gay artists. If they thought long enough, they'd realize a good part of the Hawaiian music and Hula community are gay.
                        An unusually high concentration there, I'd say. Gotta love 'em! The Hawaiian music scene and the high caliber of mele and kaona-filled lyrics would just be barren without them.

Comment

According to Wayne Harada's column today, Skylark has also resigned from KHUI! No reason given, but one can imagine.

Comment

...truly sad...

Jacqueline/Skylark leaving was bound to happen... I think she was in it due to Mahlon anyhoo.

Anyone hear the "Tiny" changes they're making? bleh. The music has ok so far (strictly been Beamers, C&K, Kalapana, Country Comfort)... but once Tiny is on air, I'll be switching off to another station.

Comment

Ano'ai Kakou,

I'm new at this, but I did want you all to know that I chose not sign another contract with Salem Media of Hawaii. I have spent the last 30 years in radio promoting Hawaii's Music. Anyone can play the music, which most are now. Mahalo. But few care for it, like I do and all that comes with Hawaii's music, it's history, culture, language and it's importance to it's people.

Corporate Radio has changed our dial. I'm from the old school of radio where integraty means something. How you treat people, advertisers, listeners etc. all make many of us in the business who we are. I could not stand by and "endorse" what happened. Hawaiian music is my industry, and all that comes with it.

I have a hard enough time holding true to my beliefs in this changing radio business. Especially when most just want to use our music. I can't allow just anybody to ride on my holoku.

As they say in this business..."as the dial turns"...this is just another chapter in the days of our lanai.

I mua na mele o ka pae 'aina,

Skylark

Comment

Working...
                              X