X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mahlon Moore & KHUI

Originally posted by kimohalliway
    The breeze format, which was largely developed by those two, is outdated.
    Does anyone know if they've made tweaks to their playlists already? I was listening late last week, and heard a lot of contemporary stuff and had to turn it off. Thought I was listening to the old KUMU for a minute.

Comment

They might as well name the temporary "KHUI" the Kalapana Channel. A good part of the current playlist are Kalapana tunes, throw in a few C & K tracks, some Peter Moon, Brothers Caz', some unheard of local country, and that's pretty much what you have at KHUI.

They've been announcing something about their NEW station being under construction. We'll see.

Until then, I already reprogrammed my radio back to 105.1 KINE. Thank god Brick is still there.

Best of wishes to Mahlon and Skylark.. love ya'!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Hanapaa
        kimohalliway...Do you know Skylark? What she has done and continues to do for "our" Hawaiian community is priceless. How can you make judgements that are so far off. How long have you been in the radio industry? What's your credentials?
        I've worked very close with Sky and she has always been a great source of knowledge filled with aloha and has taught me many things that I consider "priceless".
        To me me you sound like a whiner that hides in this forum and is bitter about things that didn't go right in your life.
        I could be wrong but, please share your infinite wisdom with all of us on everything you know about RADIO.

Kimo Villarimo
        Hey my fellow Kimo,
        Let me ask you...do you actually have to be on the radio to know anything about radio? When you eat something, dont you have an opinion on how da bugga taste even if you didnt catch it or cook it? I have LISTENED to radio for over 50 years now...and I think I have a grip on what is good.
        Skylark was good at one time with Krash and those guys. But WAS is the word. The world of radio is changing, her voice would put a crack head to sleep now. Maybe because of a friendship made at one time, your judgement is sentimental, Or maybe your standards and expectations are low. I personally never heard of you, but from what I have asked, you are a weekender/nighttimer at best. I actually had someone laugh out loud. No offense, I am just trying to make a truthful judgement here not a sentimental one. Mahalo
        Last edited by kimohalliway; August 23, 2005, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Remember folks - don't feed the trolls (like Kimo.)

Comment

Originally posted by Akamai Okole
            Remember folks - don't feed the trolls (like Kimo.)
            Wait a second... we've got at least three Kimos here!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm confused....... In a post that kimohalloway posted under a different matter ( http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...1898#post31898 ) he said that he was 27 and married to Keani but in his last post he says that he's been listening to radio for 50 years. Hmmmmmm...........I didn't throw the first stone. MY FRIEND TOLD ME!
              Last edited by Sponge Rider; August 23, 2005, 06:09 PM.

Comment

hahahahaha! ok, getting serious. Can someone actually register with a different name for whatever sick purpose they have? If they can, here's a couple of whack whacks for you!

Mahalo Skylark & Mahlon!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Kimohalliway,
                  Well I guess you're more brilliant than...everybody!! I'm guessing that since you "listen" to radio, you "know" what it's like to work in radio? WOW. That means since you use the phone, I guess you can fix it too?
                  And I'm sure you've been using a mirror for a while,so you've probably discovered how to make it more reflective too?
                  My bad...you are truly superior! I bow to you.
                  You are entitled to your opinion and that is what makes this a great forum. If anything, at least you listen to radio and what it has to offer. If it wasn't for people listening then radio would cease to exisit...so keep listening.

KV
                  Last edited by Hanapaa; August 23, 2005, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sponge Rider
                    I'm confused....... In a post that kimohalloway posted under a different matter ( http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...1898#post31898 ) he said that he was 27 and married to Keani but in his last post he says that he's been listening to radio for 50 years. Hmmmmmm...........I didn't throw the first stone. MY FRIEND TOLD ME!
                    Thats TOOOOOOOO FUNNY!! What a bust!

Hey Kimo V, didn't you use to do a show for huimusic.com a while back? I heard you on the radio the other day. It's good to hear your voice again.

Ty

Comment

Originally posted by Hanapaa
                      Well I guess you're more brilliant than...everybody!! I'm guessing that since you "listen" to radio, you "know" what it's like to work in radio? WOW. That means since you use the phone, I guess you can fix it too?
                      And I'm sure you've been using a mirror for a while,so you've probably discovered how to make it more reflective too?
                      My bad...you are truly superior! I bow to you.
                      You are entitled to your opinion and that is what makes this a great forum. If anything, at least you listen to radio and what it has to offer. If it wasn't for people listening then radio would cease to exisit...so keep listening.
                      Eh, who you talking to?

Thank you for the clarification.

Auntie Lynn
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; August 23, 2005, 07:02 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hey Ty,
                        It's good to be heard.
                        Mahalo,
                        KV

Comment

Hey hey HEY!

What a FUN & diverse ??? group. Thank you for expressing your hearts, what a diorama, i just HAD to write in. I think it's sad, yes, for Mahlon & for Skylark but her beautiful spirit said it all, "As the dial turns." Eloquence AND grace? No wonder she is a voice of Hawaii!

I'd have to say that Kimo H. has some coherent things to say, even if we're hurting, that we might learn from. Wisdom comes from many sources. And it always speaks in a clear voice, unclouded by choking emotion.

Mahalo Mahlon for the memories. Mahalo Skylark for your example. Mahalo everyone for caring enough to share your very best. This is truly the spirit of talk story!

Aloha mai kakou!

Comment

With all the talk as to who is who here, that's why I use my real name when I post. Those in the biz that I've worked for and with know me. I'm not a radio front runner, mostly behind the scenes but have worked the mic. I only wished everyone would use their real names especially here on this board because all the heresay is only that when it's hidden behind an alias.

If I don't know who you are, then how can I believe you?

As for Salem Hawaii and TJ, when I met the previous GM there (I can't remember his name) and he told me the corporate heads were visiting, I knew at that moment heads were going to roll and it usually meant upper management.

With TJ's experience with the rock format I expected changes but not on a scale such as this. One thing about radio as we all know it by now (whether we've been in it or simply listened to it) is that formats change and we need to understand that.

Radio is a dynamic beast that changes faster than we can say Arbitron! Ivan Badget knows that and like him I wish KUMU had stayed the way it was decades ago. But the market said otherwise and who is the market? The radio listener. We haven't changed but the demographics have. Whether you're a GM, PD, OM, MD, GSM, whatever your paycheck is determined by the numbers and if those numbers are weak then you have to sometimes be the bad guy and heads roll.

In this case Salem is a Christian-based radio group and as such this kind of action by TJ (or corporate heads) shouldn't be surprizing (albeit not wholly justified) coming from a strong Christian faith-based organization like Salem.

I'm a Christian but I don't expound my religious beliefs upon others, however if an organization (radio group) that I choose to join has differing opinions that clash with my belief structure, it is my choice to leave.

Whether Salem made the wrong decision by virtue of this thread makes any sense at all, the fact remains, it is a Christian Faith-based corporation and it has it's policies (right or wrong) and they chose to follow them instead of bending them.

The numbers will prove their decisions right or wrong in the eyes of their demographic listeners. Personally I feel the way this whole incident was handled was wrong but hey I'm not the guy calling the shots here and many of us aren't either. We weren't privvied to a lot that happened on those fateful days people decided to leave. We just heard from each other, many of us who remain to be anonymous.

Thank you Skylark and Mahlon for being upfront and I truly wish you continued successess with your future gigs (and you know you'll get them) because this state is too small not to be recognized. Unfortunately because of it's small market size, it's easy to get black-listed as well, but we are a diverse island community and there are others who share your feelings (as found on this board) and wish both of you successes ahead of you. I'm one of those.

Good luck and I hope to hear the familiar voices on the air soon! I hear KUMU FM is looking for a good morning drive personality.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              Whether Salem made the wrong decision by virtue of this thread makes any sense at all, the fact remains, it is a Christian Faith-based corporation and it has it's policies (right or wrong) and they chose to follow them instead of bending them.
                              I understand what you're saying, Craig. But my question to Salem is: how do they explain the double standard of airing music played by gays but they won't accept advertising from a gay establishment? I mean, the ad didn't say it was a gay establishment, though most of us know it is. It was just a simple ad for a concert.
                              I think it was that double standard that bothered Mahlon and Skylark.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

To answer your question I think Salem is looking at the song and the artist as a musician.

But as for advertising it is focusing on a subject that is forbidden in the doctrines of the Bible.

If the music itself was about a gay lifestyle then yeah Salem would probably ban that music as well but the music doesn't say anything about being gay or lesbian, the ad does and that's the difference.

I'm in no way condoning what Salem did however you have to look beyond the drama and think what would you have done if you were limited by corporate culture when it conflicts with certain clients.

Clear Channel decided that shock jocks had no place in it's corporate culture and canned Howard Stern. Salem felt advertising depicting gay and lesbianism was against their corporate culture and they took action.

You call it sexual discrimination by one part of the constitution, they call it freedom of religion from another. Which part of the constitution over rides the other?

This looks like a Supreme Court kind of battle.

In either case there is a clear distinction between a playing a song by a homosexual versus running a spot advertising homosexual lifestyles. As for my belief structure, I have many friends who are both homosexual and not, one of my drinking buddies is a lesbian and believe it or not I enjoy drinking with her more than I do with my guy friends.

I will tell you however that if Hula's approached any top ten radio stations here in Hawaii, there would be a awkward silence before an answer. This lifestyle is simply too forward thinking for many who's business is in image.

How long did it take Blacks to gain equality here in the U.S.A. I think they're still fighting that battle along with women and minority people and the handicapped! Can you imagine if you were a Black/Handicapped/lesbian? Man you'd have virtually every human bias against you created!

The fact is that the gay and lesbian movements have made inroads these past few years but haven't made any significant progress like the women's and black movements. Their rights will be recognized one day but it's still too early to tell when. As with any bias it will take future generations to replace aging ones with fresh thoughts on race, religion, politics whatever. Our future is really with our keiki.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X