"Dirty talking" in local Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dirty talking" in local Radio

For as long as I can remember, Krater96 and KSSK has been "poking fun" at one another (KSSK having the longest list of winners, while KRTR boasts that all of their contest winners are local people) but today I heard something from the top 40 side. Power1043 (or 1043XME or whatever they want to be called by) had a station intro about their competitions' commercial times, and how they play more music than the other guys. Since I only listen to Hot939, the only time I heard them "mention" the other guys was for the Wake Up crew's intro (All other morning show hosts are rory's b******* [another word for a female dog]).

How far does some radio stations take this?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: "Dirty talking" in local Radio

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    (All other morning show hosts are rory's b******* [another word for a female dog]). How far does some radio stations take this?
    It's very common. Have you ever heard of the term "shock jocks"? Those are DJ's who push the obscenity envelope as far as possible just for "shock value". Ever listen to Howard Stern? Ever hear about the fines that the FCC issues on obscenity matters? (And threats of not renewing stations licenses, as well.)
    You're probably too young to remember George Carlin's hilarious comedy routine on this subject:

Full transcipt http://www.erenkrantz.com/Humor/SevenDirtyWords.shtml

Listen to it at http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...Say_On_TV.html

Also see the Wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
    Last edited by LikaNui; November 27, 2006, 11:36 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The use of b*tch is also changing. Not only is it more common, in this case the term, although still derogatory, does not refer to an evil woman but to a person who is dominated by another, similar to how on athlete could dominate another in a game. There's the whole b*tches and hos use of the term that comes into play here also, but the use here has evolved away from that ever so slightly. The question to be asked: Does a word remain offensive even when its meaning has changed?

As far as foul language goes, the DJs here are pretty tame by Howard Stern standards.Radio stations frequently censor songs that feature offensive words, like The Who's "Who are you?", Pearl Jam's "Jeremy," and Alice in Chains "Man in the Box."

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
        For as long as I can remember, Krater96 and KSSK has been "poking fun" at one another (KSSK having the longest list of winners, while KRTR boasts that all of their contest winners are local people) but today I heard something from the top 40 side. Power1043 (or 1043XME or whatever they want to be called by) had a station intro about their competitions' commercial times, and how they play more music than the other guys. Since I only listen to Hot939, the only time I heard them "mention" the other guys was for the Wake Up crew's intro (All other morning show hosts are rory's b******* [another word for a female dog]).

How far does some radio stations take this?
        far enough that one station, or reps of one station, sued another regarding comments made on air re a concert some years ago.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Stations have different philosophies about even ALLUDING to other stations on the air.

Some freely talk smack about their competitors (who they haughtily don't really see as competitors, meow).

Some would only mention another station or its calls if the other station burned to the ground.

I don't think there's clear science (or art) about either mentioning a competitor or pretending they don't exist. That's why consultants make the big bucks. (And don't even get me started on THAT topic.)

As for the b-word and a** and other words that one would NEVER hear on the air before America lost its shame -- or, became "progressive," if you prefer -- the rules over what is verboten may have changed, but in MY HOUSE, crude language is crude language and it just doesn't fly.

I'm not about to let the speech of my offspring degenerate in front of their Mama. With their friends is one thing. In front of their MOTHER is another.

Having said that, "The Sopranos" is one of my favorite shows. Gosh I can hardly wait for it to start up again.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Pretty soon the use of the "Bleep" will be as offensive as what it's trying to censor! Now that electronic tone is used extensively as a way to exemplify the "Dirty Talk" that has become mainstream: That Bleeping son of a Bleep is gonna get his Bleep tuned because he's just a Bleeping moron and Bleep him...nah Bleep them all, them bleeping bleep holes!

Back in the studio with the producer: Man my bleeping finger is bleeping sore from all that bleeping dirty talk from that bleeping bleep hole. Eh call in the bleeping engineer so he can fix this bleeping bleep button on my bleeping console before that bleeping bleep hole starts mouthing off again. Geez what a bleeping bleep head! Now my bleeping finger is throbbing...eh give me that bleeping glass of ice water so I can put my bleeping finger in to stop the bleeping swelling. Ahhhh that's so bleeping good...what you looking at get back to work you bleep.

So can the word "Bleep" be added to George Carlin's 7-dirty words you cannot say on the air?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think the original topic of this thread was about cross-station trash talking, rather than foul language. (Although the poster did cite an example of cross-station trash talking that involved foul language.)

You won't find the number one show/station getting involved in trash talking. They don't have to. They do what they do and everyone else guns for them. Which is why you'll hear KRTR repositioning themselves as a reaction to KSSK's contest promos. But KSSK makes no reference to "the other guys."

Some DJ makes a claim about other DJs being his beeyotches. But I doubt that you'll hear Perry & Price make that claim. Once again, they don't have to.

When we started a brand new station back in 2000, we flipped a Country station to CHR and started from zero. Naturally, we did our share of trash talking, as underdogs are wont to do, and that resulted in the lawsuit mentioned above by ericncyn. I don't know if I can comment further on this. (You know... legal mumbo jumbo.)

However, once we established dominance we stopped the trash talking. In fact, the "other guys", the ones who filed the lawsuit, ran some liners attacking one of our DJs and his family. Not Cool. It's one thing to trade barbs but a personal attack on the family of a DJ is a low-blow, no-class, bush-league desperate play. I feel sad for whoever was in charge of getting that on air. Hopefully no one else has to endure such foul tactics again.

It's supposed to be a fun business, right? I'm all for the spirit of competition, but sometimes it gets out of control.

Comment

Yep, if at all possible if the case is pending or if the inside information is sensitive, it is best to not disucss any legal matters or potential legal matters here. The board has been threatened by possible lawsuits due to some posts made in this forum regarding the inner workings of some media firms.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                X