Kids TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids TV

This thread is being started for the discussion of small kid time TV. Local or national, share your Kids TV memories here.

Anyone on this board ever appeared on KGMB TV's "Checkers and Pogo" show? Anyone remember "Captain Honolulu", "Romper Room," or the Lucky Luck's kids TV show?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Kids TV

I always wanted to be on the Checkers & Pogo show but being on another island kind of made that hard to do. Best I could manage was attending their show at Lihue Shopping Center. Got to talk to Pogo for a while, he was a nice guy.

I barely remember Captain Honolulu, maybe saw one or two episodes of Romper Room and didn't know about Lucky Luck having a kid TV show.

Comment

I vaguely remember Checkers and Pogo... I think it was just a little bit before my time. I do remember something that I think was called TV Pow. It was like a game. Kids would call in, and there was like some space shooter game, and in order for the thing to shoot, the kid would have to yell "POW!" over the phone. Never got to play it myself, but I remember watching it all the time.
      Free iPod
      Free Flatscreen

Comment

I was on Checkers and Pogo once. I played a relay game where we had to sweep the balloon across the floor over a finish line. Our team lost and my mom told me I need to practice more sweeping from then on.
        Send POI

Comment

I'm one of those Hawaiians who grew up in So Cal (Southern California). I've lived in Hawaii for the past 23 years, but grew up on the mainland. I missed out on the whole Kikaida thang. However, I loved watching "Checkers & Pogo" when we would come to Hawaii to visit every summer. Although we had "TV Pow" way back in the late 70's on KTTV-TV Ch.11 (When did Prof. Fun start TV Pow in Honolulu?) our only exposure to Japanese programs were Godzilla and UltraMan.

DXer

Comment

I remember TV Pow on Channel 13, KIKU (before it became KHNL) between 1980 to about 1982. Of course it could have started sooner and/or ended later.

Comment

I remember "TV Pow" too (though I think most kids knew there was no real connection between when they said "Pow!" and when something happened on screen), and Professor Fun. I have pictures of other regular characters from that show in my head (like the twin clowns), but can't name any to save my life right now. According to this KHNL history page, it was 1979. I would have been five.

I always wondered... how did the Professor Fun/Fun Factory relationship work? You definitely saw the professor around (in Fun Factory ads) a lot longer than his show lasted. In fact, I think Professor Fun was at mall events and the like only a few years ago...

Comment

I remember Professor Fun making his island debut on the "Checkers & Pogo" TV show at KGMB. This was a few years before "TV Poww".....
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Out of this one ... my (mainland) experience was "The Howdy Doody Show" and "Mickey Mouse Club".

Comment

Oh, man, how could I forget about Kikaida and Ultraman?!? I used to love those shows too. This next show doesn't really count as kids TV, but when I was a kid, my mom and aunt used to watch Abarenbo Shogun all the time. I used to love that show too. Was always the same general plot: the Shogun cruises around with the commoners and comes across some bad guy, infiltrates the bad guy's lair, gets caught but then reveals to everyone that he is the Shogun. They all bow down while the Shogun tells them about their crimes. And then, the bad guy claims that he is not really the Shogun but an imposter. Shogun takes out his sword, twists the cutting edge out, and the music starts and he kills everyone. Love that show. There was another Japanese show that we used to watch too, but I forget the name of it. I know that one of the guys used to be a ninja, and he went around with a patch over his eye.
                    Free iPod
                    Free Flatscreen

Comment

Re: Kids TV... The Return of Kamen Rider V-3!

Starting tonight, Oceanic channel 78, 6:30pm, the return of Kamen Rider V-3!

Yes, that green-eyed "bug" cyborg with the cool red mask and cape, battling the destron monsters, leaping hills and dodging missles on his "Hurricane" motorcycle.

Ahh.. from the good ole' Kikaida days!

Catch special local appearances by Kamen Rider V-3 himself, costume created by Lane Luna, a talented artist and fish-mount taxidermist from Hilo.

Special thanks to JNP (Joanne Ninomiya Productions) for bringing this classic Tokusatsu (Japanese sci-fi) series back to Hawaii. Digitally remastered and subtitled from original Toei reels. DVD's in stores will follow.

Hmmph.. Henshin.. BUI-SU'REE!
                      Last edited by Pomai; May 16, 2004, 09:47 AM. Reason: typo'
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        This thread is being started for the discussion of small kid time TV. Local or national, share your Kids TV memories here.

Anyone on this board ever appeared on KGMB TV's "Checkers and Pogo" show? Anyone remember "Captain Honolulu", "Romper Room," or the Lucky Luck's kids TV show?
                        Wasn't Pogo Dave Donlley? (sp.) Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else..hmm.

I used to watch them all. Maybe too much, because I rarely watch any television today. Some of my favorites were The Three Stooges, Bewitched, Flintstones, Jetsons, Mr. Ed, Roadrunner, Get Smart, and Superman. Those came to my mind at the moment but I know there were others.

I've turned more into a computer person than television.

Comment

Originally posted by people
                          Wasn't Pogo Dave Donlley? (sp.) Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else..hmm.

Dave Donnelly played Mr. Checkers for about a year or 2 at the most. He was the 2nd Mr. Checkers in the long running series. The first was Jim Hawthorne and the 3rd was Jim Demarest. Donnelly passed away earlier this year after a long career as a Star Bulletin columnist.

Morgan White played Pogo Poge throughout the entire run of Checkers and Pogo. He started with KGMB radio before moving to KGMB TV to play the famed kid show character. I think he is still living in Utah.

Checkers and Pogo Videotape
                          Checkers and Pogo Pictures
                          Last edited by mel; May 28, 2004, 08:46 AM. Reason: fix typos
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When I was a junior in HS, Pogo was the keynote speaker for the graduating senior class.
                            However, my excitement about getting to see one of my childhood icons in person was quickly extinguished when he showed up in a coat and tie...

(I had to go into therapy after that.)

Comment

Does Professor Fun still life in Ainakoa? The one street Mauka and parallel to Malia street in front of Star of the Sea school? When I was a kid I used to deliver the Hawaii Times Japanese language newspaper to a house near his. He had this sign in front of his house that said, "Beware, Killer Rabbits".

I was on the Checkers & Pogo show too, remember the jar full of pennies and the strawberry jello pie eating contest? All that in the KGMB studio, kinda where the news is shot now.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X