Okay everyone, follow the bouncing cursor:

The Exchange..goes down, down,
    and round, round, round,
    in your tum, tum, tum...

Makes your mind....think, yum, yum, yum,
    that orange-ade called Exchange...

What else do you remember?

Re: "Small kid" time TV...

(sung) There's no taste Like Orange Crush, cuz the taste is orange crush (orange crush)

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Watch us grow, step by step, watch us grow, we'll show you the best! Exciting sports... all the great movies... your favorite shows, watch us grow!
      K-Five, Kaaay-Five

Hawai'i Is watching Us groooooww... K-Five!!

-vic

Comment

And who can forget this guy?

-vic

Comment

I'll take you guys back EVEN FURTHER...

Who here remembers these guys??

If no one gets it, or if no one cares, I'll post the answer later...

Comment

I remember watching Friday Night Wrestling at Grandma's house with tag teamers Pedro Morales and Han Lee; commentators Lord "Tallyho" Blair and Ed Francis; Ripper Collins, Nef Maiava, Peter Maivea, the Missing Link - Oooooh YEEEEAAAAH. Then we hali'i some blankets on the floor in the "pahlah" and all of us kids used to have our own wrestling matches. Yeah, I was one tita, small kid time.

I also remember watching Roller Derby, we used to have those old metal skates that had a "key" to adjust the size and you used it with your own shoe.

Send POI

Comment

Originally posted by Leimamo
              I remember watching Friday Night Wrestling at Grandma's house with tag teamers Pedro Morales and Han Lee; commentators Lord "Tallyho" Blair and Ed Francis; Ripper Collins, Nef Maiava, Peter Maivea, the Missing Link - Oooooh YEEEEAAAAH. Then we hali'i some blankets on the floor in the "pahlah" and all of us kids used to have our own wrestling matches. Yeah, I was one tita, small kid time.

I also remember watching Roller Derby, we used to have those old metal skates that had a "key" to adjust the size and you used it with your own shoe.

Eh, you get 'em...
              It's "Handsome" Johnny Bareng and "Ripper" Collins...

No forget Chief Billy Whitewolf, Sammy "Steamboat" Mokuahi, the Francis', and Curtis "da Bull" Iaukea...

Comment

And I have no idea who these two characters are...

Comment

I'm wearing my Checkers and Pogo shirt as I type this!

Comment

Checkers & Pogo were probably the greatest thing to ever happen to Hawaii television. The closest I ever got to the show was A) both my sisters were on the show, and B) when I was like, 4, I was here in Honolulu visiting my grandparents and out of TheBus window I saw the now-infamous Checkers-mobile drive by on Kapiolani Blvd. I recall it vividly, it was near the Flamingo Chuckwagon en-route to Ala Moana, and I screamed to my mom (sitting next to me), "Look! It's Checkers!!"

Never made it to the SkySlide, however. Despite how one's not to have regrets in life, that's one regret that I have -- never forcing my mom to take me to ride the SkySlide. We on Maui could only salivate over the looming possibilities of wild fun that was to be had upon those plasticine slopes.

Comment

I got one even better! I still have my official membership card to the Pirate Ship California that Checkers & Pogo took us all sailing from Kewalo Basin.

Sing it...Here comes Checkers here comes Checkers, Checkers and Pogo Pog! Then you "OOOOOOOO" the rest.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
                        I'll take you guys back EVEN FURTHER...

Who here remembers these guys??

If no one gets it, or if no one cares, I'll post the answer later...
                        late 60s early 70s pro wrestling with Beauregarde

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                          Checkers & Pogo were probably the greatest thing to ever happen to Hawaii television. The closest I ever got to the show was.....

My brother was on the show which i was envious about...
                          Found a costume shop somewhere on (i think) kapiolani back then and asked my maddah for some kala to buy a gorilla outfit i saw there and was enamoured with. I had that thing for a while and then started getting frantic phone calls from the shop for it to be returned. being a young kid, i didn't realise i had simply rented it! Thought it was mine! i sed whaddya want it for so suddenly!? They said tomorrow it must be on the checkers and pogo show. So, we hightailed it from lanikai over to Honolulu and next day, sure enuff, Jerry Cox comes storming out of a doorway in the suit making C&P and da keiki scream. I loved seeing "my gorilla" suit on tv but miss it.

Morgan White, (Pogo Poge) was of course in the first season or so of Hawaii 5-0, the D.A. or sumpin li dat. Was funny to see him in his alter egos and then see him every sunday in our church, as he was a member of our church back then. Really nice guy. Checkers (Jim Demaerest) was on hawaii 5-0 alot. an all purpose character actor.

remember;
                          very merry unbirthday
                          the penny jar grab
                          funny face time
                          pies in the face to get a sure laff
                          ruff take

Comment

Re: "Small kid" time TV...Off the Top of My Head

I remember Star Blazers on KHNL, Jem, He-Man, She-Ra, and on NBC, The Smurfs, The Snorks, and those little morality plays between shows: e.g., kid works up a sweat and arrives at his girlfriend's house reeking, screen stops, hot-star-at-the-time (here, Richard -"Bull" from Night Court- Moll) appears and says it's important to shower before a date. Those, I think, were the predecessor to NBC's "The More You Know" public-service-announcements series. If anyone else remembers those, please share.

Comment

Re: "Small kid" time TV...Off the Top of My Head

The cartoons that they used to play on Checkers & Pogo were also pretty good. Anyone remember the following?

Speed Racer
                              The Thunderbirds
                              Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons
                              Princess Knight

Those I enjoyed. They also featured a lot of Hanna Barbera 'toons, most of which were very simply drawn and acted out. I didn't quite care for them, but I sure do remember some of them:

Ruff N Reddy
                              Sinbad the Sailor
                              Augie Doggie and Daddy Dogg

I think Morgan White played the attorney general for a while on "Hawaii Five-0". His "Pogo Pogue" character started off on KGMB radio in the early and mid 1960s. Prior to the debut of "Checkers & Pogo" he was hosting an afternoon movie on Channel 9 called "Dialing For Dollars". I think they would call a random household and ask you some kind of question and if you knew the answer, you'd win the cash prize for that day.

Anyone remember Lippy Espinda and Captain Honolulu?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X