X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hawaii" on NBC

"Hawaii" police series is approved by NBC
    Starbulletin.com - May 15 2004 3:31:0 GMT

This article was posted automatically. Comments are welcome!

Re: "Hawaii" police series is approved by NBC

Wasn't this the one that was originally called "Pearl City"?

Comment

"Hawaii" on NBC

The pilot for NBC's "Hawaii" (at the time named "Pearl City") was filmed at about the same time as FOX's "North Shore" (then known as "O`ahu"). But its prominent use of Waikiki made quite a splash on tourists and locals alike. Picked up for the 2004 Fall schedule, "Hawaii" will air at 8 p.m. on Wednesdays. Although the producer's last claim to fame was "Shasta McNasty," the buzz for this traditional cop drama has been pretty good. Here's NBC's write up:
      Hawaii can seduce just about anyone... cops and criminals alike. Murder. Drug-running. Organized cartels. The stories are as gritty as any urban center, despite the idyllic surroundings. Where else would cops discover a smoldering torso at the base of an active volcano? The diverse group of cops and detectives may work against a breathtaking backdrop of jungles and seascapes, but they can never take a vacation from the tangle of local and international criminals constantly crossing their paths. Cast: Michael Biehn, Sharif Atkins, Ivan Sergei, Eric Balfour, Aya Sumika, Cary Tagawa, and Peter Navy Tuiasosopo.

Comment

Re: "Hawaii" on NBC

'Hawaii' cop show to debut in August
        Nina Wu, Pacific Business News, June 23, 2004
        The pilot of NBC's new Honolulu cop show, "Hawaii," is set to debut on Aug. 30, according to producers. The hour-long series will then air regularly on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. "Hawaii," whose original working title was "Pearl City," includes a main cast of six, including Kauai actor Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Capt. Terry Harada. NBC has ordered 13 episodes.
        Anyone catch the promo for this? I think I saw it linked with Law & Order. Unless they're really going for the "cheese" flavor, what little I saw in that 30-second commercial looked absolutely awful. Hawaii's dark underworld? A big, burly local guy growling about how he's going to protect his `ohana? Yikes. The show's already on the "watchlist" of various Asian American groups for negative stereotypes... and it hasn't aired yet!

I'll say this for NBC, though, their PR department runs a tight ship. Here's a nifty link direct to their inventory of "Hawaii" promo shots.

Last edited by pzarquon; June 23, 2004, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Re: "Hawaii" police series is approved by NBC

I think so. But Pearl City, a poetic title, actually, doesn't have the instant recognition of Hawaii. Can you imagine a series about Las Vegas titled The Meadows (its name in Spanish)?

Comment

looks pretty decent so far...

Like the cast, big fan of Michael Biehn from Terminator, The Rock etc. Nice to have Cary H. Tagawa play the Captain too as well as Aya play a "Dias" (wonder if Gary had something to do with that)

Comment

I didn't reconizge Michael Beihn in the picture that Ryan posted. I wonder if in an episode he makes a reference to him being an ex-SEAL before coming a cop.

Or a Marine.

Comment

Work starts in earnest tomorrow, Pacific Business News reports:

Shooting starts this week for 'Hawaii'
                Cast and crew were told to report to Kawainui Park in Kailua at 6 a.m. Thursday for a traditional Hawaiian blessing, performed by Kahu Franklin Pao, before starting work.
                There have been a lot of promos airing on NBC already, with more to come during the Olympics. Unlike "North Shore," it looks like this series is going to fully embrace it's silly, cheesy, campy nature, and so far seems promising... apart from the aforementioned and expected issues with "realistic depictions of local culture."

Comment

An update today from the Honolulu Advertiser touching on both NBC's "Hawaii" and ABC's "Lost," noting the competition for resources between them, FOX's "North Shore" and the WB's pending "Rocky Point."

Cameras start rolling on 'Hawaii,' 'Lost'
                  NBC's Honolulu cop drama "Hawaii" is kicking off what producers hope will be a long series run with an early morning blessing by kahu Franklin Pao at its temporary Kawainui Park base camp... Both "Hawaii" and "Lost" are being shot on location while their respective soundstages are being built... "Hawaii" is retrofitting the old Hopaco building in Mapunapuna.
                  Please pardon the crossposting... There are separate threads for "North Shore" and "Lost," as well as for ABC's use of the old Xerox building on Nimitz Highway.

Comment

A report from the first day shoot from the Honolulu Advertiser:
                    The series, which will be shot entirely in Hawai'i, got off to an auspicious start yesterday with an early-morning blessing by kahu Franklin Pao and the news that two of its crew had been nominated for Emmy awards.
                    This show seems to have cast the widest local casting net so far... surely someone knows someone who knows someone picked up as an extra?

Comment

I think from the 4 TV shows that are to run this year, "Hawaii" may have the best chance of making it past its first season if the writing is good and characters are developed over the series run. I think "Lost" will start out strong but slowly lose viewers as the stranded on a tropical island with a monster on the loose wears thin. Both shows will initially air opposite each other on the same day and time on 2 different networks... NBC for "Hawaii" and ABC for "Lost".
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I missed this insightful article that Glen caught in yesterday's Star-Bulletin, drawn from a transcript of a press event featuring six of the seven "ensemble cast." Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who lives in Hawaii, wasn't there, nor were any press from Hawaii. Nonetheless, there was a lot of banter and background provided.
                        [Show creator Jeff] Eastin pointed out that "Hawaii," with Tagawa, has a Hawaii-based actor in a significant role and that producers also plan to expand Andy Bumatai's role. Part-Japanese actor Aya Sumika, and Tuiasosopo, who is Samoan, also help to give the show a racial makeup reflecting Hawaii, he said.
                        Also, some comments were relevant to this thread on depictions of Hawaii in popular culture in general:
                        NBC'S TAG LINE for "Hawaii" -- "The other side of paradise" -- indicates what viewers can expect to see. Hawaii's East-meets-West profile intrigues Eastin... [Star Eric] Balfour said many mainland people don't understand that Honolulu is a major metropolis with "all the problems and dynamics of Los Angeles, New York, Chicago."
                        Last edited by pzarquon; July 20, 2004, 06:00 PM. Reason: Give credit where credit is due!

Comment

KGMB TV did a story on the filming of "Hawaii" on tonight's news. They even reported that the show will premiere on August 30 and show its second episode 2 days later on its regular Wednesday night slot. It seems like NBC is rolling this show out early in hopes of getting a good rating and perhaps trumping ABC's Hawaii entry "Lost" which will compete with NBC in the same time slot.

The main 2 actors stated that the show will focus on characters instead of the process of solving crimes. They also purport that Hawaii's locations will be another "player" in the series and not just simply a background. I don't know what that means but hopefully this will be good for that show.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            They also purport that Hawaii's locations will be another "player" in the series and not just simply a background. I don't know what that means but hopefully this will be good for that show.
                            eg; natatorium as a crime scene; much footage at the location, rather than the natatorium seen fleetingly in the background as they zip around in their convertible.
                            Last edited by kimo55; August 11, 2004, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Don't like too much the fairly mainland look of the wardrobe:

http://starbulletin.com/2004/08/23/features/index1.html

long sleeve striped shirts, two shirts on at once, Isn't it hot ?

Comment

Working...
                              X