This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii" on NBC

I gotta admit I kinda like the line being used in a trailer for this thing.

"Where do they think they're going? We're on an island!"

I've often wondered that about car chases, even in real life.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

They're really pushing "Hawaii" during the Olympics (along with "LAX" - gee, which sounds like a more fun series?), and yeah, I like the tone and humor they're selling. I just hope the show itself is half as good.

One thing that struck me, though... if you listen to the voiceover, it definitely sounds as if NBC is setting this cop show in a universe where "Hawaii" is one single island. I imagine online friends will soon be asking me how long a drive it is from my house in Mililani to the lava fields...

If you're as hungry as I am for news on this show, you'll definitely want to check out Tim Ryan's two pieces in today's Star-Bulletin, one of which spills the beans from a super-secret advance screener of the pilot.

‘Hawaii’ captivates with tight writing
      An advance copy of the first episode, "Hawaiian Justice," indicates the new series matches "Five-0's" quality of acting with a quintet of seasoned pros -- Michael Biehn, Sharif Atkins, Eric Balfour, Ivan Sergei, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa -- and tight writing, with storylines bound to keep an audience's attention... Some 30 minutes into the episode, guest star Branscomb Richmond explains that a criminal has threatened "my ohana," in the first utterance of a Hawaiian word. There are no gratuitous alohas or mahalos in "Hawaii," which, in spite of early casting fears, seems to be mindful of the local culture.
      He mentions that we get the "CSI" treatment, with strong, colored filters to give an unnatural tint to the landscape. He closes by saying, "Steve McGarrett would have been proud."

Also, a profile of the stars, Eric Balfour and Ivan Sergei:

Modern-day McGarrets
      Frequent isle visits help Balfour develop his "Hawaii" character
      Balfour is a frequent Hawaii visitor, coming here to visit an uncle living on Maui or to surf, a sport he learned while growing up in Southern California... "I would never be so presumptuous to say I understand what it's like to live here, but I do have an advantage over those who have never been," Balfour said. "I think that helps my character in 'Hawaii.'"

Comment

"Hawaii" debuts for the rest of the country on Wednesday, but folks at Waikiki's "Sunset on the Beach" yesterday got an early look at the pilot.

NBC series' premiere draws 3,000
        Michael Tsai, Honolulu Advertiser, August 30, 2004
        Sharif Atkins ("ER") hopped the security rope a few times to take pictures and sign autographs for audience members. Aya Sumika, the lone female in the core cast, obliged the TV Guide Channel with a glimpse of what she has learned so far in hula class. he show itself got a warm reception from the crowd. Eric Balfour ("Six Feet Under"), who played to a packed house with his band, Fredalba, at the Wave Waikiki the night before, drew screams every time he appeared on the mammoth screen.
        The Star-Bulletin, meanwhile, has a couple of photos from the screening.

Was anyone else there? What did you think?

NBC has fleshed out its official "Hawaii" site in advance of the series premiere. It's worth a look!
        Last edited by pzarquon; August 30, 2004, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I attempted checking it out, but in a fit of stupidity showed up at 7:30 (well, it was 'power hour' at the Hideaway until 7, and couldn't pass that up). It was a zoo. Not an inch of sand anywhere, and I didn't wanna stand and peer through coconut trees from a block away, so I went back home. Gotta work Wednesday, so I guess I'll be taping it.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
            I attempted checking it out, but in a fit of stupidity showed up at 7:30 (well, it was 'power hour' at the Hideaway until 7, and couldn't pass that up). It was a zoo. Not an inch of sand anywhere, and I didn't wanna stand and peer through coconut trees from a block away, so I went back home. Gotta work Wednesday, so I guess I'll be taping it.

yep. those dollar beers ya can't beat. cept i have found this: outside clocks are not what they go by; j about 6;45, i asked for another beer, and she points to the clock above da lua (which showed 7 un punto) and sez ok, but it aint a dallah anymore. Their clock is fast; favors the register..

(btw; saw yer web site;
            egg-zellent photography!)

Comment

Kimo- Yeah, bar time.... at least with power hour you don't have to leave the place, just be sure to order at 'last call,' no matter what. Always good to have provisionals at the table just in case... and thanks for the kind words on the pix...

Comment

Now that the first show has aired, lets hear your reviews! Head on over to the new "Hawaii" thread.

Comment

Working...
                X