Bring Back Checkers & Pogo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back Checkers & Pogo!

Do you think a show like Checkers and Pogo appeal to kids today? I ask because the other day I happened to watch what my son was watching on the TV. It was a bunch of Anime "toy ads" that to me was a waste of time(boy I sound old). Anyway we got to talking about the old C&P shows how they played games, showed comedy segments, and went places with "On The Go". I told him that the classic cartoons like Bugs Bunny, George of the Jungle,Tom Slick, as well as the Banana Splits weren't out to sell game cards or video games , but to entertain kids. My son was amazed that we actually had a show like that growing up.
    KGMB or maybe OC16 should try and bring back a show like this for the kids so they too can have a Hawaii TV memory.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Bring Back Checkers & Pogo!

I would think KGMB owns the rights to the name, so if anything they would be the only channel able to bring the show back in name only. Anything else would have to be something totally new... like the "AlohaBear Kids TV Hour". How's that?

The TV landscape has also changed a lot since Checkers & Pogo aired. Today's kids just have more choices... 24 hour a day kids channels and all. Yes, many are just programs to sell products, but that is just the way most things are today. Even "Sesame Street" and "Barney" on PBS also have product tie ins. Can't escape it.

To put on a local TV kids show a station probably have to take a big financial gamble and consider the competition such a program will have from other channels and networks. I think the network channels probably make more money by airing sydicated shows such as "Oprah" and "Judge Judy" instead of kid stuff.
    Last edited by mel; October 26, 2005, 08:02 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If you had to re-cast Checkers and Pogo today, which local actors/celebs would you use for the roles?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

If you had to re-cast Checkers and Pogo today, which local actors/celebs would you use for the roles?
        Perry (Pogo) & Price (Checkers)

Comment

Another issue would be how would you determine who gets to be in the audience. Do you do it live or tape it for a later viewing?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Braddah Sam and Augie

I always joke to my friends ... the reason why kids today no more manners and shame is because they no more Checkers & Pogo.
            Last edited by alohabear; October 26, 2005, 10:19 AM.

Flickr

Comment

If I had to pair up Augie T it should rightfully be with Lanai. But then again I kinda like P & P as C&P.

How much do you think my membership card to the Pirate Ship California is worth nowdays? That was a sailing ship that C&P took us kids out on from Honolulu Harbor one day. I'm still a proud member!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I would rather have Perry as Checkers and Price as Pogo (it better matches their personalities). How about Greg Hammer as Superspy McPig and Augie as Sylvester?
                Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Mel Cabang as Checkers and Joe Moore as Pogo.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil

Mel Cabang as Checkers and Joe Moore as Pogo.
                    Joe Moore would make a really good Howdy Doody.

Comment

I think Joe Moore would make a great Captain Scarlett. He has that puppet kinda look to him...you know the perfect hair
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Checkers: Frank Delima
                        Pogo: Tiny Tadani

I agree... I think Greg Hammer would be a great Super Spy and or Sylvester.

Hmmm, Linda Lingle could be Professor Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne

or Big Bird!
                          BTW... What ever happened to the kid who did magic on that show?

Flickr

Comment

We have a winner!!

Someone get KGMB on the phone now...

Comment

Who is Greg Hammer?

In any event Frank DeLima is too funny to play the serious Mr. Checkers. Tiny Tadani on the other hand would be perfect as Sylvester. Of course if you want to really confuse people have Tiny Tadani and Guy Hagi play Checkers and Pogo, they can switch roles once a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X