Crayon Shinchan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crayon Shinchan

I used to love watching this show! Crayon Shinchan was an adult-oriented anime that aired on KIKU-TV more than a few years ago. Not sure how many seasons they aired it, but it usually came on at 7pm on Saturday evenings.

Crayon Shinchan is about a naughty little boy named Shinnosuke "Shinchan" Nohara. His father worked all day and drank all night, while his stay-at-home mother dealt with the never-ending antics provided by Shinchan. Think Bart Simpson meets Beavis and Butthead and you get the idea. Well not exactly, but sort of.

What made this anime particularly humorous was the way that it was subtitled. I believe the person who did the subtitling also worked on the Generation Kikaida DVD project. From what I remember Joanne Ninomiya of JNP telling me, was that KIKU had to give up all their subtitled reels of the show. I think it was Asahi TV of Japan who purchased the rights to the series.

What a shame. Perhaps the good folks at JNP can pull their magic and negotiate with Asahi for rights to sell English-subtitled DVD's of the entire Crayon Shinchan series.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Crayon Shinchan

Ho yeah!! A Crayon Shinchan DVD would be high on my must-have list! That show was a scream! I had to stop watching when my kid walked into the room and asked, "What is he doing?" Hahahha!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I loved Crayon Shinchan as a kid. I remember my grandmother not having any interest in it at all... and after sitting down to watch once, was shocked to discover it wasn't exactly appropriate for kids.

Comment

Ah, memories.

It was my first look into "that side" of TV back then. I wish they'd show it again, because now I'd probably better understand it.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just learned that Adult Swim, the late-night block on the Cartoon Network is now airing Crayon Shinchan. That's the good part.

Now the BAD PART... it's voiced over in a westernized fashion, making the characters sound totally bastardized. Ugghhh. Shinnosuke's voice is the worst. It's horrible!

I sure miss KIKU-TV's subtitled series.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love the show so much. I can remember watching it in elementary school with my cousins and all the adults thought it was cute. I bet they were all secretly wishing for us to lose interest before it gave us any ideas, though~

FUNimation's dub is so so so overly raunchy...but I can't help but laugh. I guess in a way I do like it because that's the kind of humor I'm used to nowadays, but I will always love the innocent mischief of the original. Shin's voice is hard to get used to but it more or less is the same style...it'll never hold a candle to Akiko Yajima's voice, natch, but for the dub it's good enough for me. I just wish they didn't have to make it as dirty as they did with all the Western pop culture references. At the very least, I would've liked for them to keep the original Pari Jona song intact >.<

FUNimation is supposed to releasing "DVD sets" this summer (they've acquired the rights for it), but there's no word of what is actually going to be on them until later this year. I'm dying to hear. They're gonna merchandise a bunch of other things for the show as well.

However, if you guys want to watch some of it.. there a quite a few of the subbed eps (most of which were actually taped off KIKU) on Youtube. I've watched pretty much all of them, and one of the users recently added over 40 more eps. There's only two users with subbed eps that I've found, but there are a few people with original newer Japanese episodes with no subtitles.

I made this gif for a signature at another forum from one of the YouTube episodes, resized it so that's it's a lot smaller (one of my favorite scenes, hope it's okay to put up):

EDIT:

Here's one of them, has some eps from after Himawari was born. And this person has a lot of eps from before that. This person's video sound is soft so you need to fiddle with your volume.
            Last edited by kupomog; April 13, 2007, 02:06 PM. Reason: went to get the links for the youtube guys if people wanna watch
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

When did this show air on KIKU?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Reminds me of the Americanized version of "Hari Tokidoki Buta" into "Tokyo Pig," for one season on ABC Family. Compare the originals to the dubbed versions, and the storylines were often completely different - and both come off somewhat surreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  When did this show air on KIKU?

KalihiBoy
                  April 1992 to December 2001.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

oh maaaaaan I looooooooved watching that show!

The naughty bugger makes Bart Simpson pale in comparison

Comment

This was a kids show I assume, I grew out of that stuff about 1984 which by then meant watching Bandstand at 11am or noon instead of getting up at 6am to watch cartoons.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                      X