Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DuMont Television in Hawai'i?

Hi there,
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm trying to find out information on early Hawaii television. Does anyone here remember TV from the "Golden Age" (1940s and 1950s)? Specifically, I'm looking for information on whether or not anyone remembers programming from the now-defunct DuMont Television Network. Did DuMont operate any stations in Hawaii? Does anyone recall anything? Programs? Call-signs? Dates? I realize it's a long-shot, since the information would be from half a century ago...

Re: DuMont Television in Hawai'i?

No one knows anything...?

Comment

There were no Dumont stations in Hawaii. 1st station was KGMB for CBS at the beginning of the 1950s. A couple of years later KONA an NBC station started and around 1955 or so, KULA an ABC station started. KGMB was on Channel 9. KONA was on Channel 11 and KULA was on Channel 4. KGMB remains a CBS station and is still on Channel 9. KONA later moved to Channel 2 and changed their call letters to KHON and also became a Fox station in the 1990s. KULA went through a couple of call letter changes from KULA to KHVH and now KITV but has remained a ABC station and is still on Channel 4. Upstart KTRG started out much later as an independent station on Channel 13 then changed their call sign to KIKU then KHAI and then later became a Fox station with call letters KHNL. It changed affiliation from Fox to NBC in the 1990s when they made a double switch with KHON who then became the Fox station. KHNL is still on channel 13 but likes to call themselves news 8 just because the cable company placed them on Channel 8 on their cable. I think that will do it. Only to add that the call letters KIKU came full circle again and is now an Ind station on Channel 20 on air and is located on channel 9 on Cable. Sorry, no Dumont was ever in Hawaii that I ever heard or seen in all my 63 years. Aloha, BigD.

Comment

Thanks for the answer, BigD.

Comment

Yes, DuMont had two affiliates in Hawaii. KONA and KULA in Honolulu were part time affiliates but rarely aired any of their shows.

Comment

Working...
          X