This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii" on NBC: The Early Returns

You know, I liked it. I expected a lot less, and the normal "hey brah, no do dat kine stuffz..." but the locals sounded "normal."

Yeah-some over the top "too-cool-for-school" hot heads, the papolo guy and the 'brash-young haole' guy (Edwards)... but other than that, very watchable IMO.

Liked it a WHOLE lot better than CSI:Miami (love the original ones).

best of luck to them... seems like they're really trying

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      ... And then in Hawaii Five-O we never see what the Five-O team do in their off-time.
      oh yes we did!

We saw Steveo sailing.
      We saw Kono and Danno prepping fo surf.
      we saw Chin Ho at home with his volumnous family.

Any more and it would get in the way and take time from the wonderful nuances and character development we see often.
      such as last nites ep;

Chahlee Bombay (albert paulsen) slowly stirring his drink in his office and the poilicewoman posing as a seller of heroin. thier eye contact, body nuances and visual exchanges were fabulous. You felt there. You had carnal knowledge with the intensity and apprehension in the room.
      THIS is what good film making ( on a tight weekly shcedule for the telly) is like.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Both those bit part actors looked familiar... was that Segundo, though? Should've read the credits more carefully. My wife and I thought one of the local car thieves was the same guy from those awful Oceanic RoadRunner "geek on a date" ads.
        I looked at the starting and ending credits last night and I didn't see either name pop up. Michael Ng (Oceanic TV ad and Blood of the Samurai) was the driver and I guess Segundo (I don't reconizge the face) was the guy who pulled the Sharif Atkins character out of the water.

Comment

There is a beautiful Hawaiian song they play in the last scene on the premiere episode, does any one know the name of the song?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx
            There is a beautiful Hawaiian song they play in the last scene on the premiere episode, does any one know the name of the song?

"Hawaii 78" by Makaha Sons of Niihau

Singer Israel Kamakawiwoole (of Makaha Sons) also redid that song later on a solo album.

Don't know which was featured on the show, but the latter version features Iz in some candid conversation, caught when he didn't know the tape was rolling. And that adds another level to an already poignant and touching song. Probably my favorite song from him.

Comment

Sept 6 episode of Hawaii

Comments for the September 6 episode of Hawaii
              1. At least Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa got 3 appearances, one of which was the bank robbery
              2. I got a funny feeling Gaines and Edwards did more damage to the bank than the robbers
              3. I didn't think the openning theme music wasn't that great
              4. Didn't seem that most of the outdoor shots had a reddish tinge to it?

Comment

I missed the first 15 minutes of last night's episode, but I liked what I saw of it. Enough to keep me interested in episode three...

Sadly, Aya Sumika's character continues to disappoint (this week, the other stereotypical role as the "woman back at headquarters who worries about the boys out in the field and who needs to be reassured"). And please, please don't tell me that "host cop" Sean Harrison (Michael Biehn) is going to speak pidgin. His utterance of "bruddah" nearly made me lose my dinner. He can't play the "knowledgable outsider" (i.e. "these people") and a "native insider" (i.e. "we") at the same time, anyway, and the latter would just not be convincing.

Overall, though, there's better energy/chemistry already, and now I'm not sure which pair of cops I like better -- I was pretty sure the "spunky young kids" were going to annoy me, but instead John Declan (Sharif Atkins) was more grating this week. Christopher Gains and Danny Edwards were surprisingly good. "People like you are turning this country into a police state... trying to dictate where and when I can drink my coffee!"

I was surprised to see yakudoshi used as a plot device. It was neat, but of course women don't get half the attention that men do for that Japanese rite, the fancy beach ceremony was almost too preposterous.

Tim Ryan commented on the color tinting, and while I also find it annoying, it does give the show a "look," and I've read just as many comments that it's distinctive and stylish. Here's a thought: the colors might be a way to distinguish between storylines. The father/daughter, yakudoshi story was overflowing with red. You saw a lot more blues in the bank story.

Trivia: The external shot of the bank was the Kaimuki branch of Hawaii National Bank, but the doorway and much of the interior was in the vacated Central Pacific Bank location at King and Smith streets downtown.

Comment

His utterance of "bruddah" nearly made me lose my dinner.
                  Same here; couldn't believe my ears when he did that.
                  Only noticed one Hawaiian musician last night: Amy Hanaialii Gilliom. Still way ahead of "North Shore", which has yet to air a single Hawaiian song in, what, 9 episodes?
                  Didn't notice the red tint, but did notice really poor audio quality toward the end of "Hawaii" last night.
                  Kind of fun to see "North Shore" at 7pm followed by "Hawaii" at 8pm. "Hawaii" is a ton better.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    Kind of fun to see "North Shore" at 7pm followed by "Hawaii" at 8pm. "Hawaii" is a ton better.
                    ok general confusion reigns in my ol feeble mind;
                    isnt Hawaii on wednesdays?
                    Wil they show last nites ep (which I missed) on wednesday?
                    ( i hope. heard there are two eps playing on wed?)

Comment

"Hawaii" is absolutely better than "North Shore." The presence of actual Hawaiian music alone makes it a superior program, not to mention other details like actual acting talent and genuine local color. Heck, since "Hawaii" started, I only realize now I stopped watching "North Shore" entirely.

isnt Hawaii on wednesdays?
                      Last night's airing was a "special night and time," and the regular slot will remain 8/7PM Wednesdays. I don't know about back-to-back airings -- the NBC "Hawaii" site lists only one synopsis for tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow's episode, it brings the inevitable introduction of tourists into the picture, the inevitable over-the-top references to "Hawaii 5-0," and the inevitable role of the lava rock "Pele curse." It could be good, but it could also be very, very bad...

Ratings Update:

For Monday's special airing, "Hawaii" netted a 6.2/10 rating, put NBC in a solid second behind CBS' "Everybody Loves Raymond" (6.9/11) and "Two and a Half Men" (6.5/10). NBC's average for primetime was second at 4.9/8, but was number one among adults 18-49 (3.3).

For comparison, the premiere of "Hawaii" last week, in its regular Wednesday night time, won the hour with a 7.0/10 rating (and giving NBC the overall prize for primetime with a 5.9/10 average). Here's hoping Wednesday is just the right place and time for the show.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; September 7, 2004, 01:50 PM. Reason: Added ratings figures.

Comment

I missed the first 15 minutes of last night's episode, but I liked what I saw of it. Enough to keep me interested in episode three...

Sadly, Aya Sumika's character continues to disappoint (this week, the other stereotypical role as the "woman back at headquarters who worries about the boys out in the field and who needs to be reassured").
                        Then you missed Aya body slam a bad guy, not that his leg ended up in a cast because of that.

Comment

question: anyone know who that Japanese guy was on the boat in the first episode? Was it local actor Seth Sakai? (haven't seen him in anything for years!)

1. I agree, I thought I was going to hate the 2 younger cops.. they're pretty funny.. Eric Belfour(sp?) is pretty cool. I know IRL, he's really embraced the local community here (bought a house; hangs around Kapahulu side etc).

2. I HOPE they develop Michael Biehn's character... yeah, the "bruddah" thing was out of left field, but at least he's not overtly trying to be 'local' (and I thought the bachi/yakudoshi thing was pretty funny). Speaking of which, the day they filmed that... the M.B. and crew tried saying it right the whole day. 40 odd takes later, he got it right

He can also be seen at Hawaii Kai 24-hour fitness... nice guy, very humble too.. and very VERY glad to be working here.

3. Again, I love the fact locals are "normal" and not overtly playing dumb "howzit braddah" types. Yeah, I hope the fat thing doesn't become an issue with jokes in future episodes. As far as Keola's character, I've seen some pretty large officers too, so it's not out of the realm of reality to include an overweight cop in the show.

On the other side of the coin, they should get Malcom Lutu (who's an officer IRL) as an extra at the headquarters. Malcom won gazillion strong man competitions-he's massive.

4. I hope they make Sharif's character a lot less annoying. Or if he stays the same, give Michael better dialogue to put him in place.

5. I think Cary should get one of those episodes dedicated to him, similar to the Miami Vice ep featuring Edward Olmos... which showcased how much of a bada$$ he was (a quiet storm type of guy).

All in all, I'll keep watching... and best of luck to the crew/cast!

Comment

well that was a good ep.

good ta see ray bumatai.
                            corvette shop used again looks like.
                            da big blalah is geeting some good lines and more screentime.

the crane shot of the 2 or three junkers just below the surface of that lil pond was done in cgi.
                            much easier than to actually throw cars in the drink then fishem out not to mention the greater concern of pollution.

good effect with the steve mcgarrett masks!

ok; time to change the title:
                            to:
                            Re: "Hawaii" on NBC.

"The Early Returns" means nothing.
                            Last edited by kimo55; September 8, 2004, 10:25 PM.

Comment

The pacing of the September 10 epsoide didn't seem rushed like last week's epsiode but it manages to cover a lot of stuff.

After three episodes I am being to wonder if future epsiode starts with a case that involves Edwards and/or Gaines.

Comment

That was a very good episode. My wife, who has tried very hard to hate the show, is now grudgingly admitting that she's enjoying it, too. You can just feel that they're hitting their stride, playing off each other better, honing their timing. "Bruddah? Dat's my leg."

The little details are what make this show work for me. The Paa Street address on the police form. The scene where Danny Edwards looks into the crowded apartment and asks, "Having a party?" ("They live here," Gains hisses, "All of them.")

It was interesting to hear some contemporary Hawaiian (?) rap in the opening scene, with the closed captioning including the pro-sovereignty lyrics.

And they've slowed down the pace, easing into the background of the various characters better -- like Harrison's family stress, and now, a romantic backstory with the new CSI character. It's a lot easier to process than it was shoehorned into the pilot.

Major bonus points for, for once, the nearly unfettered presentation of pidgin (primarily via Ray Bumatai's excellent cameo). The young haole cop that's supposed to be local, Christopher Gains (Eric Balfour) did a... reasonably good job, too. At least he's getting coaching on the tonal patterns of pidgin, something that was sorely lacking when other TV shows had their actors just read the script phonetically. Only the airport perp's delivery seemed stilted.

And I might be nuts, but I think they played the Pele thing just right. Not too melodramatic, but not too flippant, either. Kaleo (Peter Navy Tuiasosopo) played a big part in that balancing act.

Speaking of Kaleo... he really shined. I'm so glad he's getting more depth (no pun intended). Not a single food or fat joke that I could recall, and he played a major role throughout. Even better, he had both a dramatic climax (when the Maunakea Killer appears) as well as great comic moments. "I coulda been somebody! I coulda been a contenda!"

And I can't stop whacking the 'jump back' button on my TiVo remote and playing "where are they now." I just about fell off my chair laughing when Declan's car was towed from Merchant Street as he relaxed on Fort Street -- I know half a dozen people who've been towed from that very spot! I also noticed they truly did show the "other side of paradise" with the chase through Chinatown -- no effort at all to hide the world the disastrous, wasteful madness that is Mayor Harris' personal monum... I mean, fancy new sidewalks.

It was also odd seeing Amy's Place, considering what happened to the place recently.

Next week? More explosions and action. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X