Captain Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Honolulu

Does anyone remember him? I think he was from the 50s and 60s.
    My mom is from oahu and moved away to texas in her twenties where she has been for a long time, raising our family. I grew up with hawaiian food, words, and knowing how to do 'captain honolulu eyes' but I've never actually seen him....

So i'm looking for a picture, description, or drawing of him. I'd love to make my mother a captain honolulu shirt or something, as a surprise.

Thanks a lot guys...!

Re: Captain Honolulu

Captain Honolulu (Sgt Sacto: Bob Smith) 1959 - 1968

You probably can find a picture of him in the archives of one of the newspapers. I would look for you but I have to cook this morning.

Good luck

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mel? Blaine? Are there any photos lurking in your archives? I hope the OP can give his mom this special gift! I'm a mom and if my kids gifted me a t-shirt with a Captain Midnight photo I'd fall apart at the thought and originality of the idea! BTW, Captain Midnight was my hero from the 50s in L.A.

I did a very quick google and didn't find anything.

Comment

I used to watch Capt. Honolulu religiously. His "sendoff" sign took me a long time to perfect (I wasn't the most agile fingered keiki )

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

(hehehe - I just tried that signal & can still do it!)
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by shen View Post
            Does anyone remember him? I think he was from the 50s and 60s.....
            remember him? his son and i walked to elementary school together way back when. i hope you'll be able to find a good picture of captain honolulu for your mom's shirt!

(you can read a bit about him here: http://starbulletin.com/98/10/07/news/whatever.html )
            Last edited by shaveice; April 15, 2007, 11:48 PM.
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Maaaaaan, this thread got me to put my hands upside down on the sides of my face and circle my thumb and index fingers around my eyes. I don't think I've done that for about 20 years or so.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Age has taken its toll on my joints (wrist, shoulders). No can do any more.

Comment

Shen, Please check your PM.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was reading the what ever happened to posting from the Honolulu Star Bulletin but it was not a complete story of Bob Smith's time in Hawaii broadcasting. I remember him being a DJ on then radio station KAHU 920 AM which later in the upper 1950s moved thier frequency to 940 AM after numerous call letter changes to become what we know now as KHCM on the 690 AM dial. All of which was country music format.
                    Bob also had a short lived country music TV show called Hawaiian Hayride. The music was kinda on the sucky side as it was mostly amateur talent that was on it. I may be wrong on this one but I believe it aired on KGMB Channel 9 at the time. Crusader Rabbit with Rags The Tiger came on just before Captain Honolulu every afternoon on then KHVH Channel 4. Well thats my memories of Bob Smith and may he rest in peace . Aloha, Big D.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                      Maaaaaan, this thread got me to put my hands upside down on the sides of my face and circle my thumb and index fingers around my eyes. I don't think I've done that for about 20 years or so.
                      I know. Everytime I see this thread come up I get the urge to put my glasses on.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

WOW, Capt. Honolulu, I even forget what station was on. Was it KHVH-TV, or KGMB. I forget, oh by the only had 3 stations growing up. Starting with B&W.....
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Hi guys! I'm back. I lost my sign in information.
                          1stwahine said she can help me get a photo-- I checked out that star bulletin article a couple of months ago and even went so far as to call the station (KBGM?) from here in texas. They used to be the station that aired him, and while the people there were very nice and sympathetic, they had no photos. My mom absolutely deserves this-- if she's been such a cool mom, i figure i can do a small part in being a cool daughter !!!

Comment

It was KHVH (now KITV) that aired Captain Honolulu, not KGMB. KGMB aired Checkers and Pogo.

Comment

Sorry my KHVH footage only goes as far back as 1972, you might try perusing the old newspapers at the library and seeing if an ad for Captain Honolulu is in the tv section??

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                              X