• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960's local TV shows

1962 KGMB: Napua Stevens Show

1962 KHVH: Captain Honolulu, Lucky Luck, Island Playhouse

1962 KONA: Sherrif Ken

I believe Captain Honolulu was on KHVH until at least 1967, at that time KIKU was known as KTRG.

Aj

Re: 1960's local TV shows

Captain Honolulu was on Channel 4 KHVH and even at KITV until he ended. KITV had a short lived kids show with Sgt. Sacto called "Rocketship 4".

Lucky Luck had "Lucky's Lanai"... can't remember what channel that was on. He also had a kids show I think on KONA / KHON TV.

The "Weird Beard" movie on Channel 2 had one of the old KPOI jocks introducing and playing old scifi and horror movies.

"Filipino Fiesta" with Respicio started on Channel 2 in the 1960s and lasted for many years until what... the 1980s or 1990s. It was a Sunday morning fixture that featured Filipino entertainment.

"Romper Room" with Robin Mann on KGMB TV.

I don't know when he started, but car dealer Lippy Espinda used to have a weekend movie hosting show which he used as a vehicle to sell used cars. Probably started late 60s and continued at least to the early 1970s.

Then there was "Hawaiian Eye" which used some footage from Hawaii but mostly filmed in L.A. Early 1960s, ABC TV I think.

"Hawaii Five-0" started in 1968, filmed in Hawaii, aired 12 years on CBS.

Napua Stevens used to host the Aloha Week and I think even the Kamehameha Day parades live back in the day.

There was the "Jack McCoy Show" that used to air from Ala Moana Shopping Center on KHVH and later KTRG TV.

Was "50th State Wrestling" started in the 1960s on KGMB? Used to air in their studio on Saturday afternoon. Then of course "Wrestling from the H.I.C." on KGMB Friday nights @ 10:30 pm. My grandma loved that one. I think it was on mostly in the 1970s. Can't remember if it started in the late 1960s.

I remember watching many of these when I was a kid.
    Last edited by mel; July 28, 2007, 06:42 PM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

50th State Wrestling originally started on Channel 4 (KHVH, later KITV) before moving to Channel 9. KHVH had Kaiser Sports Central on weekends, hosted by Jim Lathrop and Gene Good.

I remember LUCKY'S LUAU on Saturday evening on KHVH from the International Market Place.

Jack McCoy was on M-F in the morning. It aired from Ala Moana SC.

Sunset Movie on KGMB aired late afternoons M-F and was hosted by Bill Anderson. He later went to LA and became Adam West (BATMAN).

Lippy Espinda hosted "Lippy's Lanai" on weekend afternoons. I also watched the "Weird Beard's" (Bob Lowrie) movie offerings.

KGMB had Night Owl Theater M-Th nights after the late news and Nightmare Theater on Fridays.

The Posse, with Sheriff Ken, was the after-school staple for kids in the '50s. Sheriff Ken was bolstered by his deputies, newscasters Roger Coryell (Marshall Cory) and Bob Lee (Deputy Lee Rider), among others. I joined, even though there was no chance of me getting to the Channel 9 studios.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xquHa59aEC0

This is pretty cool too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcyLz1XeTI

Comment

Romper Room was on KHON mostly I thought. I heard from Robin a few weeks ago.

It is true 50th state Wrestling was on KHVH originally until around 1974. Then I think around 1977 or so after a short hiatus Ed Francis was able to bring it back on the air on KGMB for about a 6 year run or so.

When did Lippy Espinda pass on?

Captain Honolulu was on into the 1970's? I thought it ended in the late 60's as Checkers & Pogo sort of won over the kiddie show market by then on KGMB.

Aj

Comment

I sort of remember that Captain Honolulu stopped at least a year or two before Checkers & Pogo went on the air.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              I sort of remember that Captain Honolulu stopped at least a year or two before Checkers & Pogo went on the air.
              I don't think there was much of a overlap - if any.

Comment

I believe it was 1967 the year Capt. HNL signed off and Checkers & Pogo signed on. I hear from Jim Hawthorne every now and then he actually answers e-mails from where he lives in California at a Senior retirement living area.

Aj

Comment

I'd have to dispute that. I think Captain Honolulu stayed on at least to the end of the 60s. Yes, both Checkers & Pogo and Captain Honolulu overlapped and competed for the same audience in the same time slot for a time. I think that is what prompted Channel 4 to eventually change the show's concept and title to "Rocketship 4" which I think only lasted a few months. I think what did it for KGMB was that Checkers & Pogo had a live studio audience and Captain Honolulu as far as I remember, did not.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Was Roller Derby ever live. Can`t remember if was local or from the Mainland.
                    I Know had matches at (HIC) and on Maui at War Memorial Gym babk in the late 60`s.
                    OGGBOY
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

In Honolulu the original matches were at the Civic Auditorium on the mauka side of King St near Ke`eaumoku. I don't recall that they were televised live, altho' they certainly packed the Civic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        In Honolulu the original matches were at the Civic Auditorium on the mauka side of King St near Ke`eaumoku. I don't recall that they were televised live, altho' they certainly packed the Civic.
                        Remeber when the sole's when riot because Neff Maiva loss?

TV shows:Chubby Rolands Backyard Gang
                        Televi Digest hosted by Barbara Kim

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          I'd have to dispute that. I think Captain Honolulu stayed on at least to the end of the 60s. Yes, both Checkers & Pogo and Captain Honolulu overlapped and competed for the same audience in the same time slot for a time.
                          You know you and others are right. I am slowing remembering that during that time period when I first enountered Checkers & Pogo it was a listing on the Sunday Advertiser TV Guide. It didn't say what the program was about, for all I knew it was talking about playing checkers and using the pogo stick. Didn't know it was showing cartoons. So I kept on watching Captain Honolulu until it was gone.

Sometime later I accidently encountered Checkers & Pogo on TV then I started to watch it.

Comment

NO!!!!!!
                            but do tell, I like know??????
                            Remember da

ole type T.V. compare to watt get NOW???
                            I only got to see one roller-derby match on Oahu & a couple on Maui.
                            Besides the weekly wrestling matches with the Local legends.

They Answer My Friend Is Blowing In the Wind!!!!!
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Wrestling was shown on Friday nights on Channel 9 (KGMB) on a tape-delay basis. The Saturday afternoon matches at the TV studio were "live," I've always assumed.

International Roller Games, not Roller Derby, was broadcast "live" on the radio (KORL 650 AM) by Ted Sax. I don't recall any TV matches of the Hawaii Warriors, but remember the LA T-Birds skating against the Texas Outlaws (Shirley Hardman), Detroit Devils (Liz Hernandez, Dave Pound), and the New York team (Loretta "Little Iodine" Baron). "Villains" Hardman, Hernandez, and Pound were heroes when they skated for Hawaii, as well as "Psycho" Ronnie Raines, "Big John" Parker, and several "local" skaters.

Match races at halftime, sometimes between the enemy male captain and Hawaii's female leader. Wrestling on skates ...... and we believed!

Comment

Working...
                              X