Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Kim Gennaula is leaving KGMB. She was a pro at her craft and wonderful to work with. I know she'll relish finally having time to hang out with her kids after work in the evenings, something she hasn't been able to do in 15 years. Go get em Kim!!!

Here is the scoop from KGMB. I'm sure miss Erika will have more.

http://kgmb9.com/main/index.php?opti...9485&Itemid=76
    Inspire, educate, and create change.

Re: Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Kudos to anyone making a big career change. Scary and exciting at the same time. She'll get a chance to put her skills and experience into new, satisfying work. Congrats!
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

The Advertiser has the story at this link now, but nothing on the Star-Bulletin site yet.
      Sounds like Kim has her priorities straight, taking a job that lets her enjoy her young family while she can. Well done, Kim!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Congratulations Kim!!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Kim will certainly be missed but it sounds like she has some good opportunities with her new job. Congrats, Kim...if you're reading this!

Comment

Thanks for the link, LikaNui. So Kim's leaving for family reasons. Can't blame her. You only get one shot at those early years, when even little things are exciting to kids. You're still a god in their eyes

From Wayne Harada's article in the Advertiser:
            Her first project with Kapi'olani Health Foundation will be to help Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women & Children, the only full-service children's hospital in the Pacific, in a capital campaign to raise funds for a major renovation and expansion of a neo-natal intensive care wing for the hospital.
            Cool. I wonder if Kim will work a little with Martha Smith, the COO. She's a friendly, intelligent woman.

My niece had considered being a nurse in KMCWC's neo-natal department, but she decided to stay on the mainland, to be close to her family. I think KMCWC and Tripler are the main tertiary level hospitals in the Pacific.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Damn, I'm gonna miss her every night after November.

So, who will be succeeding Kim as the leading female anchor? Stacy? If so, who will fill the weekend anchor spot?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Go get 'em Kim! I wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors, and I know she'll do just fine at her new job.I'll definitely miss watching her on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Damn, I'm gonna miss her every night after November.

So, who will be succeeding Kim as the leading female anchor? Stacy? If so, who will fill the weekend anchor spot?
                  Stacy has her own munchkin to deal with.

Grace Lee would be the easy choice unless some "Name" person comes out of the blue.

Comment

Ran into a couple of KGMB9 “behind the scenes” guys today. They seemed as devastated by the news as anyone. It’s really sad to lose one of Hawai‘i’s top anchors and a consummate professional. Her presence will be sorely missed, but television is a tough business and everybody needs to take a break at some point. Having both parents at work during those critical “family time” hours is not something anyone really “learns to deal with.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

I think she made the right choice. She and Guy are doing the news while their kids are at home so at least this way they get to switch off and see their children. Hopefully she didn't have to take a paycut.

Also, I heard Keahi is on vacation somewhere. Does this mean he hasn't heard what happened? Could be for a rude reawakening when he gets back.

As for her replacement, I think Keahi can solo anchor for a while. If Joe Moore can pull it off why not him? Otherwise I know Stacy likes her weekend part-time gig and considers herself lucky to be able to be almost a full time mom while having a successful career as well. And I live on the mainland so I don't see the KGMB morning news and don't know how well Grace Lee is doing or whether she'd be considered for the main anchor position.

I say unless Maria Quiban wants to return to Hawaii tv let Keahi go at it alone.

Comment

I'm sure a cell phone call and/or email to Keahi made him aware of the situation as soon as it was made public.

Originally posted by sin View Post
                        I think she made the right choice. She and Guy are doing the news while their kids are at home so at least this way they get to switch off and see their children. Hopefully she didn't have to take a paycut.

Also, I heard Keahi is on vacation somewhere. Does this mean he hasn't heard what happened? Could be for a rude reawakening when he gets back.

As for her replacement, I think Keahi can solo anchor for a while. If Joe Moore can pull it off why not him? Otherwise I know Stacy likes her weekend part-time gig and considers herself lucky to be able to be almost a full time mom while having a successful career as well. And I live on the mainland so I don't see the KGMB morning news and don't know how well Grace Lee is doing or whether she'd be considered for the main anchor position.

I say unless Maria Quiban wants to return to Hawaii tv let Keahi go at it alone.

Comment

I read Erika's article in the Star-Bulletin. My only question to her is, why did she feel the need to bring up the Accuweather controversy from eons ago?

Was that necessary? Do people even remember it?

And was it Kim's fault either way? She was just reporting what the Accuweather people were reporting.

A blemish on an otherwise well-written article.

Comment

While Kim has proven herself a great anchor and stiff competition and I wish her and her family the best, I loved this quote in Wayne's article today, especially coming from the station that has built its brand as "Hawaii's Severe Weather Station"

"Guy is totally supportive. Doing weather, he can do dinner breaks, since WEATHER DOESN'T CHANGE".

Aloha,
                            Mike

Comment

From what I have seen Kim is not only an excellent anchor she is a formidable field reporter and live shot reporter as well.

Her first, in-depth report for KGMB won an award and she's racked up awards doing stories on the Hokuleia, travelling with Nainoa Thompson on the vessel's final voyage.

A talented writer for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X