Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

I thought Lisa Kubota was TERRIFIC by herself at 5 and really good with Keahi Tucker at 6. I hesitate to say this, but the KGMB news might have been improved with Kim Gennaula's departure. I was a regular viewer before; I like it even more now.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
      When will KGMB publicly announce Kim's replacement?
      I guess the people at KGMB will know this, C. Archer especially.

Lisa does look great with Keahi. Will Kim's replacement do the 6pm and 10pm with Keahi?

I wonder when the replacement will start at KGMB, will that person transition in slowly even if Kim is still there?

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
        I guess the people at KGMB will know this, C. Archer especially.

Lisa does look great with Keahi. Will Kim's replacement do the 6pm and 10pm with Keahi?

I wonder when the replacement will start at KGMB, will that person transition in slowly even if Kim is still there?
        Wha? I'd hate for them to overlook the talent that's already in place! Sheesh, if anyone was undervalued at a different station, it was Lisa Kubota.

Cheeze...I know I'm no authority on broadcast journalism, but, Lisa has a real sense of drive when it comes to her stories. So, if she has a goal to be an anchor, I hope she achieves it. Not getting what you want out of a job, and not getting what you've earned, is so discouraging!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Wha? I'd hate for them to overlook the talent that's already in place! Sheesh, if anyone was undervalued at a different station, it was Lisa Kubota.
          That was especially true at KHNL, where at one point Lisa was working as a producer and a reporter simultaneously. My understanding is this arrangement continued at KGMB9 until she finally “put her foot down.” Unfortunately, you can’t put your foot down when it comes to selecting an anchor — which, BTW, in many ways has more to do with style and appearance then journalistic competence. The ray of hope is, KGMB9 seems to value the latter more than some “other” stations I know.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Is Lisa Kubota the Greg McMackin of the staff where a team leader was already there in-house?

Comment

From my sources it's not Lisa, though I think she certainly deserves it and would do an awesome job.

HOpefully it is her though!

Comment

They might be testing Lisa out to see if she can do the 5pm shows and let the new anchor do the 6pm and 10pm with Keahi.

I dunno. And Lisa has already proven she can be the fill-in anchor at the very least when the new person takes a vacation or etc...

Comment

I watched her again today, this time looking for some reason for her not to have that job permanently, and I couldn't find one. I think she's great; perhaps a better anchor than reporter, even.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I recall Lisa as an intern at KHNL and she was hardworking even then gathering interviews and even translating what Japanese tourists said (she's fluent!). I totally overlooked her as a replacement and for that I am sorry, but then again I've been gone from hawaii for about two years now so when i left she was still a somewhat new reporter, although a good one. And the best part is she's a fellow Mauian!

Hey, I just realized, if Lisa stays as the permanent replacement then KGMB has the first (I think) native neighbor newscast since she's from Maui and Keahi's from Kauai. That's awesome!

Right on Lisa, you go! Neighbor islands represent!

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                      I recall Lisa as an intern at KHNL and she was hardworking even then gathering interviews and even translating what Japanese tourists said (she's fluent!). I totally overlooked her as a replacement and for that I am sorry, but then again I've been gone from hawaii for about two years now so when i left she was still a somewhat new reporter, although a good one. And the best part is she's a fellow Mauian!

Hey, I just realized, if Lisa stays as the permanent replacement then KGMB has the first (I think) native neighbor newscast since she's from Maui and Keahi's from Kauai. That's awesome!

Right on Lisa, you go! Neighbor islands represent!
                      So THAT'S WHO WE NEED TO BLAME!!! Ha. No worries. Just don't forget when you're running the White House news conferences. Always recognize the reporter from Hawaii.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The hot rumor I'm hearing is that Tanya Joaquin will return from maternity not to Channel 2 but to Kim's seat at 9.

But maybe we should check w Ryan first - since he's had good scoops lately.

Let the speculation begin!

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                          From my sources it's not Lisa, though I think she certainly deserves it and would do an awesome job.
                          Whoever they select, I’m sure they are very aware of how much of a draw Kim was to their ratings. People in Hawai‘i like consistency, as evidenced by the 40-year reign of Democrats and the decade-long dominance of Joe Moore. It’s a long march back to the top, so KGMB9 better choose someone who can fill Kim’s shoes without breaking the heels.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            The hot rumor I'm hearing is that Tanya Joaquin will return from maternity not to Channel 2 but to Kim's seat at 9.

But maybe we should check w Ryan first - since he's had good scoops lately.

Let the speculation begin!
                            The "formal" announcement should be made today that Tanya is not returning to KHON after her maternity leave and will be moving to KGMB.

In the past year Leslie, Tina & now Tanya have left KHON. Kathy is pregnant with twins & I wonder if she will choose to stay home with them rather than return to the morning show?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              The hot rumor I'm hearing is that Tanya Joaquin will return from maternity not to Channel 2 but to Kim's seat at 9.[...]
                              Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
                              The "formal" announcement should be made today that Tanya is not returning to KHON after her maternity leave and will be moving to KGMB.[...]
                              Do some TV news personalities not have the no compete clause in their contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
                                Kathy is pregnant with twins & I wonder if she will choose to stay home with them rather than return to the morning show?
                                I was wondering if Kathy was pregnant. One of those questions you don't want to ask. I'm so happy for her. She went to Kaiser with my husband. A real, genuine sweetie pie.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X