Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I find this kind of tribute totally acceptable in Hawaii. How was Jade's departure handled? Ron Mizutani's? Leslie Wilcox's? Regardless, for those who didn't want to be part of Kim's send-off, the news could be found on other stations. I was touched by the tribute and enjoyed the hair styles, emails and old clips.
    It was very nice. I even teared up! Wow, it's hard to believe... 15 years.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    As I said earlier, they could've/should've done a half-hour special at some other time on the schedule.
    And sheesh, the 10pm news is on now, and it's sooooo over the top! It's almost half over, and there's been only a minute or two of actual news, but lots of stuff about Kim's hairstyles over the years, e-mails to Kim from viewers, old clips of Kim... ENOUGH ALREADY.
    Personally, I think it's all about $$$. Today is the last day of November Sweeps (ratings period). The ratings results from the past month determine in part how much the station can charge for ad space for the next few months. More people who watch=more money they can charge. Embedding Kim's farewell into the 10PM newscast was probably a smart decision (from a money perspective) rather than a standalone special.

Comment

Call me old school, but I don't like it when a newscaster becomes the news.
      I am soooooo with you. It's one thing to do a little three-minute thing at the end, but they actually extended the 10:00 news for more Kim stuff. There is not doubt that Kim's leaving is news, but this went too far, and if I were a journalist, especially a journalist associated with the KGMB news, I'd be embarrassed.

I like Kim, too. The KGMB news is usually my news of choice. I just think this was far beyond overboard.

And you can say "just don't watch it" if you want, and I'd normally go with that advice, but 10:30 is Letterman. The news went until 10:40. Gr.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I am soooooo with you. It's one thing to do a little three-minute thing at the end, but they actually extended the 10:00 news for more Kim stuff.
        Um, not quite. KGMB's 10:00 news always runs to 10:35. Tonight's newscast, tributes and all, ended at exactly the same time it always does. Despite Keahi's comment when Liz ended her sports/tribute segment, they didn't extend tonight's broadcast at all. They simply cut short the news, weather, and sports to make room for Kim's tributes.

As for whether or not that was appropriate or over the top, that's a matter of personal opinion and you're perfectly entitled to yours. I didn't mind the tributes from her friends, coworkers and fans, but you and others did. Such is life.
        No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Whole newscast or 3-5 minutes at the end?
          I'm sure they could have done segments each day this week.

Its tough to say how much time to devote to something like that.
          It's somewhat like saying "you're career is worth X minutes."

There really is no right or wrong to something like that. You can't please all the viewers all the time.
          Originally posted by mike
          scsdogg,
          You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

I quite liked all the tributes and didn't mind not having as much gloom & doom as there was all day yesterday on the news. If a person absolutely had to have the hard news, there were many other stations that broadcast at the same time. Kim earned her tributes by hard work & dedication to KGMB. and the station showed its class by allowing the tributes to be broadcast. It was also touching to see the hug she shared with her husband at the very end of the broadcast.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Whereas on KITV, it was all real news until the final minute, which was Shawn Ching's farewell.
              Shawn Ching is an ex-football player. He wants to avoid a tearful retirement speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Shawn Ching is an ex-football player. He wants to avoid a tearful retirement speech.
                He's also a very humble guy, as opposed to Kim Gennaula, who called herself "a star" a couple of times last night.
                I'm just sayin'.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
                  Um, not quite. KGMB's 10:00 news always runs to 10:35. Tonight's newscast, tributes and all, ended at exactly the same time it always does.
                  Then three clocks I looked at were five minutes fast, which I concede is not unheard of in my life. But every clock I looked at said 10:40 when they went off.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  Kim earned her tributes by hard work & dedication to KGMB. and the station showed its class by allowing the tributes to be broadcast.
                  There's no doubt that she earned it; the question is whether or not it was appropriate to put them on the news as much as they were. I understand that you and most others think it was, but I disagree.

It was also touching to see the hug she shared with her husband at the very end of the broadcast.
                  I think it would have been touching if they had undressed each other and made sweet love on the newsdesk, but that would have been inappropriate, right? My point is that there is a time and a place for everything, and journalists are supposed to strive to report the news, not to be the news. There's a reason serious news programs don't do fake April Fools stories on April 1: There's a certain amount of credibility that must be maintained and there's a certain journalistic standard that must be adhered to if the station expects anyone to take it seriously when it matters most. What separates a serious news program from a tabloid news program? That insistence on sticking to a certain standard. Would that hug have meant any less if it had been shared a few seconds later, without all of Hawaii watching?
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
                    Um, not quite. KGMB's 10:00 news always runs to 10:35. Tonight's newscast, tributes and all, ended at exactly the same time it always does.
                    Then three clocks I looked at were five minutes fast, which I concede is not unheard of in my life. But every clock I looked at said 10:40 when they went off.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Kim earned her tributes by hard work & dedication to KGMB. and the station showed its class by allowing the tributes to be broadcast.
                    There's no doubt that she earned it; the question is whether or not it was appropriate to put them on the news as much as they were. I understand that you and most others think it was, but I disagree.

It was also touching to see the hug she shared with her husband at the very end of the broadcast.
                    I think it would have been touching if they had undressed each other and made sweet love on the newsdesk, but that would have been inappropriate, right? My point is that there is a time and a place for everything, and journalists are supposed to strive to report the news, not to be the news. There's a reason serious news programs don't do fake April Fools stories on April 1: There's a certain amount of credibility that must be maintained and there's a certain journalistic standard that must be adhered to if the station expects anyone to take it seriously when it matters most. What separates a serious news program from a tabloid news program? That insistence on sticking to a certain standard. Would that hug have meant any less if it had been shared a few seconds later, without all of Hawaii watching?
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      I think it would have been touching if they had undressed each other and made sweet love on the newsdesk, but that would have been inappropriate, right?
                      But at least you could argue that it would actually be news.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        But at least you could argue that it would actually be news.
                        Let's just hope Kim's new career choice is such a joy that she doesn't think it's a mistake in a few months and takes back her seat at the anchor desk.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          Let's just hope Kim's new career choice is such a joy that she doesn't think it's a mistake in a few months and takes back her seat at the anchor desk.
                          That wouldn't be unheard of in local news!

Comment

My recollection is/was that when Bob Sevey sed farewell (July 4, 1986) it was 98 percent newscast, and then Bob got a minute or so at the end of the show to bid aloha - which he did in fine form, and only a minor choke-up.

Comment

I was going to write a post here mentioning Bob Sevey's last broadcast, but Kimo beat me to it. I remember seeing a video of it online, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. It was short, sweet, simple, emotional, and most importantly, appropriate. If someone else can find it, post it here. I'd like to see it again.

I guess I'm in the camp that believes that the news should be the news. If you want to have a special goodbye for a special employee, do a special program. But the news should be the news, plain and simple.

(BTW, I know Kim; I worked with her years ago just before she went to KGMB. Best of luck, Kim.)

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                Well, especially if she and her husband did it on said desk.

Wait --- I'm getting reality confused with scrivener's "fantasy," aren't I?

Comment

Working...
                                X