Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duane Shimogawa on KHNL... "elementary"... pronunciation

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    well, grammar has never been my strongest suit. I figure as long as I'm making myself understood, then I'm doing OK. Of course that doesn't mean I don't make an attempt to say things properly - its just that sometimes this old brain kind of trips me up
    That's the most important thing: being understood.

Plenty times we talk with people with different dialects, from all over, and we can figure out what they are saying, or if not, we ask, and it usually gets cleared up.

Media personnel, however, or public figures, I think, are held to a different standard: it is incumbent upon them to ensure they ARE understood by their audience. Or, they lose their jobs...?

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I gave tours for 5 years at a local historical site. Depending on my audience, I tailored the way I spoke. Mainland visitors = proper grammar. Local folks = local style. and truthfully, having local folks on the tours was a lot more fun & relaxed for me! I think most of us here do the same thing when we speak to others face to face.

as for Media personnel - I get a kick out of it when someone on the newscasts busts out a little pidgin once in a while!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hah, I guess word got around.

I heard Duane say the word today on the news... correctly. Heh.

-- Chris

Comment

You win! Yay!
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
          X