'Hawaii Stars' gets new attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Hawaii Stars' gets new attitude

{br}'Hawaii Stars' gets new attitude{br}starbulletin.com - Apr 27 2004 20:30:0 GMT{br}{br}This article was posted automatically. Comments are welcome!

Re: 'Hawaii Stars' gets new attitude

Hmm. I guess I was watching the New and Improved Hawaii Stars the other night (what can I say, it was on!). I thought they were being a little more blunt than usual.

I'll tell you, the Old Hawaii Stars was like a 3rd grade talent show. Everybody wins! It had long reached the point where the score range was literally limited to 9.3 through 10. Of course, that meant if you got a 9.3, you sucked.

The one thing the show needs to do if it really wants to freshen up is get fresher hosts. Carol Kai is sweet, but man... she's about as cool as Margaret Thatcher. Not that I'd want them to find a Ryan Seacrest or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

I'll tell you, the Old Hawaii Stars was like a 3rd grade talent show. Everybody wins! It had long reached the point where the score range was literally limited to 9.3 through 10. Of course, that meant if you got a 9.3, you sucked.

Yeah, that's what I didn't like about Hawai'i Stars! It got to the point they were giving at the lowest, 9.7, and they'd give a lot of 9.98...I mean come on! I thought it was ridiculous. At first, I thought, just erase the "9." and that's the real score, so a "9.7" was really a "7". But then they started going 9.95 and 9.97 and 9.98...sheesh!

But the other thing is, now that they changed it, to me, it seems like they're copying "American Idol." So...I guess they can't win. But I do like that there's no age cap. Once you turn 25, your talent doesn't go out the window. Also, I like that they don't judge you based on how many records you could sell--so you don't have to be all beauty queen or have sex appeal. You can just be yourself.

Comment

I never watched Hawaii Stars on a regular basis but I suspect they didn't have a real crappy singer on the show. They must have off-air tryouts before they let anyone to be aired.

Comment

I think they do, at various malls and the like, but in the "copying American Idol" department, I recall they did put together an outtakes episode, specifically featuring some of the worst performances they'd seen.

You make a good point, though, malia, that one plus is that you can probably see a very talented gray-haired crooner on Hawaii Stars. We know our kupuna have great talents, and age should be irrelevant.

Comment

Sometimes I see a bit of 'Hawaii Stars' when they are taping at Ala Moana, has always seemed like a glorified karaoke bar to me.

Comment

I never think ANY of the singers on this show are good. No one with REAL talent would be on this terrible show.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Anyone who can go on Stage and perform in front of one or thousands of people is grand! It takes guts and something deeper to set foot upon a stage and perform.

Yes, there are those who may not be ABLE to SING....but they make people LAUGH!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  Anyone who can go on Stage and perform in front of one or thousands of people is grand! It takes guts and something deeper to set foot upon a stage and perform.

Yes, there are those who may not be ABLE to SING....but they make people LAUGH!

Auntie Lynn
                  I give them props for that anyday Aunty. For me it's the greatest "High" one can feel. I always feel so happy when singing in front of a crowd. What I hate is people who don't know they can't sing and ruin a REAL nice show. maybe that's why I gave up singing Karaoke ....I just can't stand bad singing.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Well, if were talking the production of a show vs. talent within it, that's 2 very diff things. If it's higher ratings that they seek, then Stars needs to be hosted and judged by a younger gen and blow the format into the Gen-X crowd. In turn that might bring out other talent that might not be so turned off by the current format. Then a stronger advertising base would be more willing to part with their bucks. Ooopppppppps, I think I went off topic there.

My .02
                    Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Working...
                    X