• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "29 Down" on NBC/Discovery Kids

Isle teamwork brings in TV series
    Hawaii Film Partners will have worldwide rights to "29 Down"
    Tim Ryan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Tuesday, December 14, 2004
    Principal photography for 13 half-hour episodes of the teenage castaway drama "29 Down" begins Jan. 3 on Oahu. The series, produced by Stan Rogow ("Darcy's Wild Life" and "Lizzie McGuire"), was created by Rogow and director/writer DJ McHale in association with Hawaii Film Partners. The series will film through March and air either in April or fall... "29 Down" follows the adventures of 10 young castaways -- including local singer/actor Tani Lynn -- who are stranded in Micronesia after their plane crashes en route to a once-in-a-lifetime eco-adventure. With little hope of rescue, the teenagers have to learn how to navigate the challenges of castaways using their intelligence, wit and instincts.
    Another TV series ready to play castaway in the Islands
    Zenaida Serrano, Honolulu Advertiser, Tuesday, December 14, 2004
    The plot may sound familiar: A plane crashes on a deserted island. Far from home and with little hope of rescue, the survivors must deal with a new world — and learn how to live with each other. But creators of the NBC/Discovery Kids TV series "29 Down," which begins filming Jan. 3 on O'ahu, downplay similarities between their show and "Lost." Co-creator Stan Rogow says the script for the tween-based show was developed before ABC's hit began production. "I think that part of what we had in mind was a bit of inspiration of 'Lord of the Flies,' but extremely lighter," said Rogow by phone from Los Angeles. "... (It's) part 'Real World' from MTV, part 'Survivor' and part 'Fear Factor.' "

Re: "29 Down" on NBC/Discovery Kids

Action! Filming begins on the set of "29 Down"
    Tim Ryan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Monday, January 10, 2005
    "29 Down" is a survival drama featuring characters 10 to 18 years old and their pilot, who crash-land on a South Pacific island. Thirteen episodes will be filmed through March, primarily on 26 acres in Mokuleia. The first show will air between April and September, Rogow said. Cast members are Hallee Hirsh, Jeremy James Kissner, Johnny Pacar, Allen Alvarado, Kristy Wu, Corbin Bleu Rivers, Lauren Storm, John Kapelos and three Oahu actors, Tani Lynn, Blade Rogers and B.K. Cannon.
    This show was conceived before "Lost," but will probably be forever compared to it. There certainly is something familiar about the fuselage of an old airplane lodged in an island beach. But it'll be kid oriented ("less dark"), low budget ($300,000 an episode, versus $2 million), like "'Gilligan's Island' meets 'Lord of the Flies.'"

Comment

At the bottom of this article on tomorrow's "Lost" fundraiser for Katrina victims, there's a blurb about the sneak preview of "29 Down" last weekend (I didn't even know it was on the schedule):
      "I was surprised," said Diamond Head resident Ann Larson, who nearly left when she was drenched by a short downpour just before the screening. "Even though it was a low-budget production, it came out really, really well. I'm really proud that this came from Hawai'i." Kapahulu resident David Sua, who came with his daughters Lia, Jaycelle and Laycie, was also impressed. "My girls never say nothing during the whole thing," he said, laughing. "Must be good, right?"
      The show formally debuts Oct. 1.

Comment

Has anyone seen this show? It's playing according to the info from the NBC Discovery Kids website schedule.

Not Quite Paradise
        Flight 29 Down

Check your local listings for Saturday show times on NBC.

When 10 high-school students from Los Angeles take off on an eco-camping adventure to the distant islands of Micronesia, they never expect that their plane will crash-land on a remote tropical island. Flight 29 Down follows the continuing story and adventures of these castaways &mdash: their crushes, competitiveness, jealousies, insecurities and goofiness — in paradise. As they learn to survive in a world without rules, restrictions or the comforts of home, they must also learn how to live with each other. It's a toss-up which will be tougher.

Watch Flight 29 Down Saturdays on Discovery Kids on NBC after Oct. 1.

Check your local listings for Saturday show times on NBC.
        Show times:

EST / 12:00 p.m.
        PST / 10:00 a.m

Comments about this show anyone?
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          Has anyone seen this show? It's playing according to the info from the NBC Discovery Kids website schedule.

Comments about this show anyone?
          It airs here on Saturdays at 4p. It's definitely a 'tween show and, as such, didn't hold my interest. But, I can see why the target age range would love it. Due to local ties I watched the first 2 episodes. Production did one heckuva good job esp. considering their low budget.

Comment

Maybe Hurley could do a show crossover!

Comment

I'll try and make an effort to catch this next week.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maximumradio asked for an update...

Well, in February, the Star-Bulletin ran a nice profile, and the Honolulu Advertiser reported that "Flight 29 Down" was in the middle of filming its second season, and doing relatively well. I'd imagine they're done, or almost done, by now, and I guess it resumes airing in October (as it premiered last October).

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the show, which seems relatively up to date, and the official site (less up to date and very Flash-y).

Still haven't caught an episode myself, though...

Comment

Yep, 2nd season has wrapped and local teen, Tani Lynn Fujimoto, was bumped up to a prominent role. Way to go, Tani!

Comment

Working...
                  X