Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Yeah. Kamekona is a likeable character. But for someone who plays an informant on the street, the show has already started to overuse him as the guy who always provides the tip that 5-0 needs to break a case.
    X2. I thought that was Chin-Ho's job. To be the Street cop. If not, why give him the Harley? Even in the old Five-O, Chin Ho always have a relative that knows something.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
      X2. I thought that was Chin-Ho's job. To be the Street cop. If not, why give him the Harley? Even in the old Five-O, Chin Ho always have a relative that knows something.
      In the classic 5-0, Chin Ho and Kono both had their network of contacts and informants. They never showed them relying on the same person time and time again. Che Fong was the tech guy.

In the current series, it seems like Chin Ho is the techie. And Kono? Her forte is either being an undercover decoy or playing babysitter. (Well, I guess it would be hard for Grace Park to be as convincing as the burlier Zulu was when it came to strutting around in Chinatown and leaning on informants/stool pidgeons for good info.)

For the show's writers to wean itself away from Mr. Shave Ice, maybe the producers need to give serious thought to reviving an old character from the past who can fill the void of being McGarrett's eyes and ears on the street. Someone like Duke Lukela. Or maybe even Ben Kokua (That would make Al Harrington happy).

And, oh yes, please give that part to a tru-blu local-born actor. For once.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...]
        And, oh yes, please give that part to a tru-blu local-born actor. For once.
        Sorry for my redundancy, FM, but an actor must EARN that role by possessing the qualities the writers see as necessary for the role coupled with acting chops. And, yes, I too would want the role to go to a "tru-blu local-born" actor. I always do. But it's never that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Sorry for my redundancy, FM, but an actor must EARN that role by possessing the qualities the writers see as necessary for the role coupled with acting chops. And, yes, I too would want the role to go to a "tru-blu local-born" actor. I always do. But it's never that easy.
          Must?

IMO, the only must that really matters for Hawaii Five-0 right now are making whatever moves and changes that will boost the ratings, which have sagged downwards again this week. Any other consideration doesn't matter a whit, if the show doesn't get renewed for next season.

Clearly, the decisions that have been made up until now have resulted in ratings numbers that are disappointing. At this point, the producers might as well cast caution to the wind, take some risks and think outside of the box..... including decisions re: casting. Why continue to play it safe? If the audience numbers don't get significantly better, the show is only going to die a slow death. If the new Hawaii Five-0 isn't destined to last beyond one season, then let it not happen without making an attempt at shaking things up.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Must?[...]
            Yes

Comment

Yeah. Kamekona is a likeable character. But for someone who plays an informant on the street, the show has already started to overuse him as the guy who always provides the tip that 5-0 needs to break a case.
              On the tv series Baretta, there was a pimp character who was his informant of the streets. He stole the scenes with Robert Blake. So, his character became recurring and longer with each episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                On the tv series Baretta, there was a pimp character who was his informant of the streets. He stole the scenes with Robert Blake. So, his character became recurring and longer with each episode.
                Loved Baretta as a kid and don't forget the Huggy Bear character (Antonio Fargas) on Starsky & Hutch. Lots of shows back then had characters like that.

I was hoping had MacArthur lived he could have played an informant of some type, kind of like the Ice Pick character in Magnum PI...

Comment

Hill Street Blues also had a street snitch character. He was another of those small role character who stole scenes. That actor later was a cast regular on Babylon 5.

Comment

So tonight's episode is the one where they filmed at the State Capital and the protesters across the street.

Comment

Phew...this ep got my adrenaline going!

Comment

I liked this episode because it had a lot of mindless shoot 'em up action... and also the fact that Chevrolet products got wasted on screen. Story was not too bad either.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ep 109 Po`ipu

So this is the episode that backed up kalanianole a few weeks back....

well worth it. great episode. the writing and the stories are getting better each week!

Comment

ummm.............i don't think there is an okina in "poipu"

but where do you look for the epi number and title? i never seem to see it!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              I liked this episode because it had a lot of mindless shoot 'em up action... and also the fact that Chevrolet products got wasted on screen. Story was not too bad either.
                              Yes, I enjoyed watching it, but my overall excitement level is slowly going down. Haven't we seen this story line like 5X on the old Hawaii Five-O? And maybe 3X on Magnum PI?

Comment

Also, I'm all for Chin-Ho Kelly speaking Hawaiian. After all, many are "Hawaiian at heart." However, Kono Kalakaua so far have never said anything Hawaiian or make any reference to being (part) Hawaiian, other than a few bad pidgin English.

Maybe Hawaiian experts here have a better ear. Kim pronounce those Hawaiian words pretty good, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X