Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Consumer Complaints" on TV?

HT'ers advice, please.

Which TV station/reporter do you think would be best to approach with a story about a "consumer's complaint", which includes photo documentation?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: "Consumer Complaints" on TV?

i think your choice would probably be determined by the nature of your complaint.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

If KHON is still doing ActionLine, I'd go there. It has name recognition, the kind that often gets results before stuff ever gets on the air.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        i think your choice would probably be determined by the nature of your complaint.
        Perhaps, but please, suggestions would be welcomed on the different options.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        If KHON is still doing ActionLine, I'd go there. It has name recognition, the kind that often gets results before stuff ever gets on the air.
        They still have it listed online, I'll call tomorrow during their hours.

Comment

Since investigative journalism is pretty much dead in Hawaii news, I'd say there are really no avenues to go other than CivilBeat.com

Comment

I doubt Civil Beat would bother with an individual consumer complaint. ActionLine is staffed by volunteers. And this isn't really investigative journalism we're talking about. Right?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

With Hawaii journalism being where it is right now... *sigh* sadly, consumer complaint reports are probably as close as we are ever going to get to "investigative journalism."

Comment

Do you not like the stuff Keoki Kerr is doing at KITV? I agree that it's a rarity in Honolulu, but Kerr's work is tough to fault: it's what's lacking at our other broadcast news outlets.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I doubt Civil Beat would bother with an individual consumer complaint. ActionLine is staffed by volunteers. And this isn't really investigative journalism we're talking about. Right?
                  Right, this is not investigative journalism. It is a consumer complaint type of issue. I did call KHON, and they will try to give "resources" to contact about consumer complaints. But other than that, there does not seem to be any sort of "consumer interest" by the media.

I'm still open to other suggestions please.

Comment

Do you not like the stuff Keoki Kerr is doing at KITV? I agree that it's a rarity in Honolulu, but Kerr's work is tough to fault: it's what's lacking at our other broadcast news outlets.
                    Humm, I was asking for suggestions ... sounds like Keoki @ KITV is a suggestion?

Comment

It's probably not hard to find some eye candy just out of UH broadcasting school to host the show.

Comment

It's not a local site, but the Consumerist is pretty active overall with consumer advocacy (and general ranting):

http://consumerist.com/

Comment

Put it on Facebook
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'd thought about YouTube (I've some photos), and a video of an earlier incident.

Comment

I had a question/complaint concerning the HI5 program and why the recycling public does not receive payment for the weight of the aluminum cans that we recycle but are only given our 5 cent deposit per container. The redemption centers still pay for aluminum, spam and vienna sausage cans, and campbell soup cans among others, but not for the HI5 containers. I wrote a letter to the editor and Kokua Line, who referred me to DOH.
                              The response I received from DOH is that each recycling redemption center/company have a choice to pay us for the aluminum and that it is not required by law. It went further to state that each recycling company also have a choice to pay you for any recycled material. So I asked if we should consider ourselves lucky that they have been and still are paying the people for copper, glass, brass. etc. and I have received no response since. So I guess Reynolds and others are saying thank you for giving us your aluminum cans that we will make a 100% profit off of since we required to only give you back your 5 cent deposit.

So to answer your question I can only say good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X