Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert
    replied
    Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

I don't watch television, but there is one thing on local radio I find revolting, disgusting and ... even worse ... condescending. And that's the "Hawaiian Word for the Day" on HPR. I immediately reach to turn down the volume on my radio when I hear "aloha, I'm blah-blah-blah and this is your Hawaiian word for the day ..."

Leave a comment:

• Mocha
    replied

The Bank of Hawaii commercial used to be more irritating...but they've improved a little...moving the main guy to a cubicle and loading him down with "gifts" that customers have given him!

Leave a comment:

• kukui_nut
    replied

The Central Pacific Bank one with the collie...
    Yeah, he really makes me want to shift my funds to their bank...

Or that Auto Shop one where all the local workers are lip-syncing to the theme song... Ho da shame.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

I'm also curious about which brain surgeon put together the new ad for TheBus... where they show a bus running down the zipper lane and absolutely belching black smoke!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

To me at least the local TV ad that annoys me is the Territorial Savings commerical. Call me bizzare but I got no problem with message or the actors or even the theme, it's the fact that they shot the ad or it was done in post production that makes the background lighting very mutted. I guess the commerical actors want to be anonymous or something because you can see who is who.

I can't remember which car company it was but they do use the same type of lighting.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Every time I hear the whiny, screeching "This is Tonya from Sleepland" I switch channels faster than a speeding bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

>>pzarquon wrote: "Still, I can't think of something offhand that I would go as far to call "revolting" and "disgusting." That's what national and cable TV is for.">>

"Revolting" and "disgusting" were actually a bit too harsh of words.

Perhaps a better title of this thread should read, "Local TV Commercials That Turn You Off".

Speaking of PSA's and American Idol, I bet we'll be seing LOTS of Camile Velasco and Jasmine Trias PSA's in the future. Guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

• YoungNeil
    replied

The OKC Kids Club one where they mumble "I Need a Tax Shelter" and something else makes me turn the channel every time.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Ah, the Spongmonkeys! I like 'em. My kids like 'em. And we like Quizno's. Although those facts aren't neccessarily related. At least they're different...

So. Local ads that annoy? I'll agree, Augie isn't my favorite commercial talent, either. (The Outrigger "kamaaina rate" Hawaiian bracelet thing was cute, though.) Pidgin is something I think is hard to use to sell in the first place. I tend to be annoyed at big, cold corporations trying to play at being local, such as Bank of Hawaii's current "That's My Bank" Daryl and Brian mascots.

My wife is annoyed at Oceanic's "OC16" kids promos, in which all the kids mumble without opening their mouths. What are they saying? Don't we have lots of directors and casting agents looking for work? Oh, and Morgan-Beret ads tick her off, but that's radio.

The city's "celebrity" PSAs annoy me. Jordan Segundo, some girl group, Jeremy Harris. And don't get me wrong, PSAs don't have to be lame. I like a lot of the DOH's "second hand smoke and kids" ads, and a few of the "Start. Living. Healthy." ads as well.

Still, I can't think of something offhand that I would go as far to call "revolting" and "disgusting." That's what national and cable TV is for.
    Last edited by pzarquon; May 16, 2004, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    started a topic Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

There was a recent news article on the Quiznos TV ad featuring two rather controversially designed "critters".

You know.. the ones that need serious dental work - one has a sombrero (sp.?) and guitar as they both sing.. "We love dee' Subs... dee' Quiznos they are good to us. Bring in a coupon... any 1 dollar coupon.. and you get a dollar off.. any sub".

Well, the individual Quiznos franchisees are up in arms over the ad campaign, saying the commercial will do more harm than good, as these two crooked-teethed rodent-like mascots give the impression that Quiznos restaurants are nothing but rat-infested second-bests to the industry leader, SUBWAY. Quiznos headquarters are receiving more than 1000 complaints a day from the general public.

The ad agency who created it apparently is a highly respectable firm, having done work for Michelob, Nascar and many other national labels. The two Quiznos "critters" were created by a twenty-something designer out of London, who kindly refers to the critters as "Sponge Monkeys".

Advocates of the ad defend that the the oddity of the commercial (and the controversy it has created) will ultimately lead to more interest in Quiznos, leading to increased sales. AdAge.com are in support.

Does anyone here have in mind a locally-produced commercial in Hawaii that you utterly hated? Were offended by? Found completely revolting? Made you change the channel every time it came on?

Here's one I CAN'T STAND...

The Lava Liner commercial with Auggie and Lanai.. "Don't scratch da' truck".. "Eh nevah mind.. Lava Line". The "acting" is so scripted and phony it's rediculous. Ugghh!

more to follow..
Working...
X