Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

My most hated ads are the one with the guy who keeps repeating "That's My Bank!" for Bank of Hawaii. He drives all over the island in places where there is no bank branch, even floats around in a boat and said "That's My Bank!". I could strangle him or at the very least strangle his stupid bobble head. Dumb ads.

I could never understand the concept of placing an idiot in your ads, does that me me feel confident about your employees or products?

Now there is a difference in being an idiot (see above) and being funny. I DO enjoy the cab ads with Frank DeLima as himself and in drag. I also dont mind Augie & Lanai ads, but that is just me I guess.

I dont care for the Central Pacific Bank ads either, I understand the concept, but when my dog dies, is it time to switch banks?

Russ Francis for American Savings Bank, werent those HONFED ads instead?

Makiki Boy

Comment

Russ Francis for American Savings Bank, werent those HONFED ads instead?
      I'm quite sure it was American Savings. Eventually what was once HonFed got swallowed into another bank and I think somewhere along the way American Savings acquired them. By the time that happened the Russ & Melveen commercials were long gone.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by talkstinkDotCom
        But the local commercial that really sickens me is that "Think About It" ad I always see on K5.

P.U.
        I had the impression that the "Think About It" spots were editorials rather than ads. This is the one with the General Manager (I think his name is John Fink) of the station doing it right?
        Last edited by helen; May 31, 2004, 09:59 AM. Reason: adding more text

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          I had the impression that the "Think About It" spots were editorials rather than ads. This is the one with the General Manager (I think his name is John Fink) of the station doing it right?
          You're right. Still, one could say those "Think About It" spots are ads promoting how great a guy John Fink is.

Okay. Okay. I'll save the sarcasm for The Stink.
          Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
          Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
          WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
          Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

KUTMASTER SPAZ'S DIS N DAT COMMERCIAL WITH THE BLAH BLAH BLAH... THE AUDIE AUTO SHOP ONE OR SUMTHIN' LIKE THAT...LANAI AND AUGIE SINGIN' THAT CREDIT UNION SPOT'S FUNNY AS HELL!!

Comment

I got you all beat. It's those idiots with the butterfly catchers chasing happiness...man, that's bad. That's my bank also pisses me off, and if I ever catch that guy, I sew his lips shut....nah, just kidding.

Comment

I think that's the ad Helen mentioned, although the objection was more about the lighting. I just find them a waste, since it's a weak message with weak execution and a "brand" association that's almost nonexistant. I had no idea who it was for... I spent most of my brain cells figuring out the various local locations used.

Chiming in late on the John Fink rants, I agree, it's more an editorial than an ad (closer to Leilani Poliahu's smarmy Hawaiian lessons on HPR), but they're most certainly annoying. The worst part is, he seems so proud to be making a statement, no matter how inane.

"It's important to obey laws. When you commit a crime, people often get hurt. And that is bad. Think about it."

Um, thanks, John. Don't quit your day job.

Comment

I absolutely HATE "The Bus" commercials! "Its the way to go"
                  Its so 80's! I heard KGMB/KHON sales folks approached The Bus with the ad campaign idea right after the strike. Obviously the ads are supposed to bring ridership back up again post strike. I'd like to know how much of my taxpayer dollars are being spent on those stupid ads! If KGMB & KHON won't investigate because they are "in bed" so to speak then why can't some other news organization find out how much was spent on that stupid campaign!
                  Someone please investigate!
                  Say what you mean and mean what you say....

Comment

I actually called KHNL to complain about those Fink editorials and was told that they are required by whatever company it is that owns KHNL.

Comment

The Jiffy Lube ad with the bobbing heads (including the dog). I'd want my money back if I were the owners of Jiffy Lube.

The Rent-A-Center ad with the stolen House of Adler slogan, "If you're buying your diamond somewhere else, you're paying too much."

The Lex Brodie's ad with the poor gal standing next to her car wondering what to do next with her flat tire (you know the one with the cell phone and killer legs) "gee I got a flat and I don't want to break a nail to fix it", Oh my goodness, that sure helped the women's movement.

Speaking of killer legs what about that ad with everybody chasing butterflies with a net? All the women are wearing really short skirts and running around downtown in high heels. Hmmm.

Now the best ad I've seen is the Cinnamon Girl ad. Very simple, flowing and pure. This is one ad that is pleasing to the eyes and ears.

But in all honesty, I really like the BoH commercials. The slogan is original (well sorta), it's catchy (you all remembered it didn't you?), and it doesn't have the feel of a locally produced ad that attempts to look like a mainland ad. Since I know Stafford Kiguchi (Senior VP-Communications for BoH) we used to work together.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The HECO ads with all the pseudo buddhist asking the 'master' for enlightenment about electricity and the guy ends by saying 'I am one with HECO. Dot com.' drive me nuts. I don't know why. Just do.
                        I think the anti-ice PSAs produce by Waianae High School students are exceptional. They are so beyond anything else that the professionals are doing that it's not funny. I talked to a local television commercial director who was blown away and even a little worried by these commercials. Not only is the production value good but the concept quite advanced. I think it's fantastic to see such quality come out of not only a high school but especially a Leeward Coast high school.
                        And I have to agree... those pursuit of happiness ads with the people with butterfly nets are aggravating. This is the other end of the spectrum of high concept... tried but completely missed the mark.

Comment

Those retarded PSAs with some clueless pseudo-rapper dude and a bunch of kids jabbering completely unintelligible jibberish about not smoking. Never fails to get me to reach for a cigarette and light up.

Comment

I find that those HECO buddhist ads are pretty offensive. Put J. Christ on the cross expounding the virtues of a monopoly and people would freak out.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

The Rent-A-Center ad with the stolen House of Adler slogan, "If you're buying your diamond somewhere else, you're paying too much."
                              No Craig, it was for a store similar to Rent-a-Center, Colortyme. And the line wasn't really stolen since it was put together by their ad agency in Idaho. (Hmmmm.......do i really want to let on that I know more about this spot than I should?????)

What I've found interesting about this thread is the number of big budget ad-agency conceptualized campaigns that everyone's complaining about. Problem is, as annoying as the many spots may be, you folks have remembered the spots and in most cases, who the advertiser was. I wish I got paid the big bucks to come up with these annoying commercials!!!!!

Comment

I can't believe I forgot to mention Mike McKenna's ill-advised "models" ads! Up until then, the company had a good reputation in my mind... a friendly car dealership with good word of mouth, and friendly, unassuming ads featuring his dog Hana Girl.

Then, one day, McKenna's car lot appears on TV, with half a dozen cookie-cutter "pretty girls" posing next to various vehicles. Doing their best Vanna White impression, they gesture and smile as one of them speaks nauseatingly of "models" and "curves" and various weak innuendo. The ad was disappointing and vaguely disturbing, since the models (here's one) are barely out of high school (if that).

As it turns out, they did at least two ads like this.

McKenna's seems to be a good company and a good corporate citizen, but whoever pitched and filmed these ads needs to be let go.

Comment

Working...
                                X