Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

[QUOTE=dick]I find that those HECO buddhist ads are pretty offensive./QUOTE]

When I see those I think more of David Carradine in Kung Fu television and movies. I keep waiting for the guy to say "Well done, grasshopper," at the end of the spot.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

undefined

Lets face it, 85% of all Hawaii's spots are still being shot by old skool producers and developed by aged add agency creative directors. Perhaps their taking the Mentos approach and making everybody think that lame looking spots are cool. I'd like to see if the spots generate any biz if not the butt of jokes at the watering hole........

KaLaNi J

Comment

i agree with the sleepland usa commercial being the WORST. "hi i'm tanya from sleepland usa!!" the commercials are terrible, and i've met "tanya," and she isn't the nicest woman in person. so that is the most revolting commercial for me. i turn it off every time.

Comment

I hate that Kaiser commercial where the doctor is claiming that "{you can choose any doctor you want, we at Kaiser want you to be able to choose{" that is a total and complete lie, you cannot choose any doctor you want, only the ones on Kaiser's payroll. That commercial is a disgrace and false advertising.

Originally posted by Pomai
          There was a recent news article on the Quiznos TV ad featuring two rather controversially designed "critters".

Comment

How about the ads for the hearing aid doctor? I've never liked any of that series, but the latest one (running for a couple of months now) really irks me. At the end of the spot the doctor is sitting with (presumably) his wife, kids and grandkids. He mentions how important hearing aids are.
            And then the entire family bursts out in gales of laughter!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
              No Craig, it was for a store similar to Rent-a-Center, Colortyme. And the line wasn't really stolen since it was put together by their ad agency in Idaho. (Hmmmm.......do i really want to let on that I know more about this spot than I should?????)

What I've found interesting about this thread is the number of big budget ad-agency conceptualized campaigns that everyone's complaining about. Problem is, as annoying as the many spots may be, you folks have remembered the spots and in most cases, who the advertiser was. I wish I got paid the big bucks to come up with these annoying commercials!!!!!

Originally posted by tvguy
              No Craig, it was for a store similar to Rent-a-Center, Colortyme. And the line wasn't really stolen since it was put together by their ad agency in Idaho. (Hmmmm.......do i really want to let on that I know more about this spot than I should?????)

What I've found interesting about this thread is the number of big budget ad-agency conceptualized campaigns that everyone's complaining about. Problem is, as annoying as the many spots may be, you folks have remembered the spots and in most cases, who the advertiser was. I wish I got paid the big bucks to come up with these annoying commercials!!!!!

you see how much of an impression that spot made on me? Anyway House of Adler used that motto back in the 70's.

I don't mind the corny ads...it's the really bad ads like the Jiffy Lube and the Colortyme ads (I know that had to be locally produced because it was too local)

You are 100% correct (actually 99%) about product identification and retention thru shock advertising, in this case corny ads. Obviously the Colortyme ad was a total waste of money with poor acting, a plagerized catch phrase and just poor camera work, basically your eyes and ears were raped and mutilated to the point of much needed therapy and rehab at Kuakini.

I love the BoH commercials because of it's lightheartedness. The butterfly ad for that other bank made no sense at all (can't even remember the name of that institution) but the motto "that's my bank" leads the viewer to ask the question, "What bank is that" and you watch to find out. I watch the butterfly ad just to see the killer legs. (Note to those women in that ad: You have great legs and all of your hard work at the gym doesn't go unnoticed!)

Like I said before the Cinnamon Girl ad was the best to me, simple and pure. You remember the ad but more importantly, you remember the company that ad represents in a tasteful and pleasing way. I don't think I'll ever go to Colortyme anytime soon because of that poor excuse of an ad.

So I take it you work for either an ad agency or a production company? Having worked in radio for many years and having to have dubbed my fair share of agency-produced spots, I've heard a lot of em some good some retarded, but entertaining none the less. Not so with Colortyme that was simply a bad ad. I classify the locally-produced Jiffy Lube ad with the bobbing heads as entertaining in a retarded way, but it got me to remember the name (Jiffy Lube) so that ad worked.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've got nothing to add but thanks for all the laughs! I don't even remember all of the ads that are mentioned.
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Saw a SlumberWorld commercial last night for their mattress sale and happened to notice the itsy-bitsy print at the bottom of the screen that said "Mattresses not as shown". So exactly what the hell were they showing us, and why can't they show the ones that are for sale?

And another thing: what's up with the company names SlumberWorld and SleepLand? They sound like amusement park names. Like they ought to have rides and concessions and such.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The new winner has got to be the Taste of Honolulu spot. So disgust.
                    Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
                    Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
                    WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
                    Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

Whoah! Looks like I started a monster here with this thread. lol

In this DB category, "Most Revolting local TV ads" are beating out "Favorite Local TV Ads" 38 responses over 8. Ouch.

Entertaining responses none-the-less.

"Das Mah' Bank". lol
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, this thread is only 2nd to the ones for American Idol I believe. But given that a lot of people are chronic complainers, in the long run this will probably be the most popular thread in this section. As a general rule, whether it is letters to the editor or talk radio, I think more people prefer to vent whenever they have something to complain about vs. being complimentary and reporting something that is good.

I guess this goes back to the old saying, "no news is good news" and "if it bleeds it leads." Got something bad to report? It's quickly out there, often on page 1. Got something good? It sometimes is reported but does not make for interesting or compelling copy, and is usually buried on the bottom or in the back somewhere.

Hence people complain here about a lot of commercials instead of singing praises in the other topic for the good ones.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

wooo, nice boards Mel (first foray in here, still old ones were cool too)

As for commercials:

1. 93/7 Crap HMSA's boast that only 7% goes to "them." Which is a load due to the fact 2 of the companies I work for pitched HMSA for HMAA due to HMSA's ever "rising" 93%

2. Honolulu School of Massage ..just irritating.. "THE FUTURE'S IN YOUR HANDS!" thought it was just a radio irritant until I saw the commercial on tv

3. Das My Bank ..looks like lotsa folks picked this one... would love to see a safe fall on his head

Slightly off topic, but deals with commercials and ones that are just as irritating on the radio:

4. The Wedding Ring Shop .. guess the owner wants to be heard on radio, guess none of his loved ones told him he has the WORST voice for radio... like nails on a chalkboard.

Comment

Here's one I CAN'T STAND...

The Lava Liner commercial with Auggie and Lanai.. "Don't scratch da' truck".. "Eh nevah mind.. Lava Line". The "acting" is so scripted and phony it's rediculous. Ugghh!

more to follow..

Who said that Auggie and Lanai were ever actors? Their just the last go-to for some kind of credibility. The bottom of the barrel has been scraped as far as imageing/branding utilizing local celebrities (not meant to knock Auggie and Lani). So the ones that are left are getting gigs that I'm sure their even surprised about.

Ty Lee

Comment

you know what the most ironic thing is about all of this.. I guess, as commercials... mission accomplished

..not that we go out subscribe/switch/buy whatever it is they're selling... just that their brand recognition has stuck in our heads...

Comment

I have a "new" irritating commercial...the one that the gal asks everyone if they're "certified"! She goes to the eatery, the florist, and I forget where else but she asks the same question "is that certified" DUMB!!!
                                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
                                X