Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?

Originally posted by Pomai
    Whoah! Looks like I started a monster here with this thread.

...long as they keep cranking 'em out, we'll keep hating 'em!

Can't believe no one mentioned this one:
    "the computer repair kid"
    subtitled:
    "serves ya right for being a metrosexual"
    Don't know it?!
    a refresh:
    that kid sitting in that empty dark restaurant with that generic lookin plain girl; she's fidgeting, looking back at the waiter who is fryin' up some orange peel as it catches in flames; to her that's more entertaining than what the kid is saying to her;
    blathering on as most young punks do, tawkin bout hisself:
    "I catch lil' bunnies and pet them for an hour... I tweezer my brows daily. Oh! and i donate to orphanages, and i sew ripped Rainbow Warrior's uniforms at half time. Yea; and i Luuuv to shop for women's shoes"

ok. Why this chickeepoo doesn't bolt upright fast enuff to leave a fontanelle shaped dent in the ceiling and race outta there like a bat outta hell, I will never know.
    He's not a "girlieman" No that would be too complimenary.
    he's a girlieboy. at most.
    Then when he admits to still having some time between all these knitting cirlces to repair computers for Road Runner, (he repairs computers for a cartoon character!)
    She sez "lezzgo ma place". And yep, he actually DOES go near her computer! Not only that, apparently fixes it. We see insipid expression on his face number 43, after she realises she's grown tired of taking advantage of this whuss for the night and tells him to make like a hockey player.
    OK:
    He does NOT have a hard drive. He's got a floppy, and I tellya gang, I am tired of seein' it!

Comment

He does NOT have a hard drive. He's got a floppy, and I tellya gang, I am tired of seein' it!
      Hee! On one hand, I imagine lots of geeks have discovered a date's interest was mostly in his... floppy skills, but on the other, I agree, this commercial is pretty bad. The concept might have worked, but the setup is just weak. It barely ties into what they're selling (not that this is a requirement in ads these days), but more importantly, it takes 'em too damn long to set it up. He talks and talks and talks, and when she's all distracted, we are too. Shut up, already!

To balance this, I think I'll make an addition to the "Favorite Local TV Ads" thread...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        ...long as they keep cranking 'em out, we'll keep hating 'em!
        Commercials that follow an old tired format or template;
        ones that end with a question.

ones that end with single words and periods:
        "Start. Living. Healthy."

or commands;
        "pack it. Ship it."
        don't tell me what do do!

the kids anti-smoking ads.
        "...leave um whey they at."
        (i know; the end justifies the means. IF it stops kids from inhaling burning toxins, ok...)

that badly cast and edited OKC card ( or is it MYTV?) commercial; what are those two grinning girls supposed to be doing?
        and that kid running his fingers across his eyebrows.. "...blablah is schmooth..."
        huh!??
        that one with the keiki; you can't tell what they are mumbling! ... they should not feed quaaludes to kids. no. Not before the shoot.

or real estate companies :
        "Real estate made real easy" which illiterate ad company did they hire?
        Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 09:34 AM.

Comment

(roadrunner compooterepair date)
          Originally posted by pzarquon
          The concept might have worked, but the setup is just weak.
          it is too slowly edited and the girl can't act. she's phoning in her lines and the effect is unconvincing. They director should have reshot the take until she conveyed a definite enthusiastic mood change.
          Last shot, could have been comical with a better reaction from girlieboy. instead it was wetnoodle pathetic.
          Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Saw a new local ad on CNN this morning and it instantly qualifies for the "revolting & disgusting" list:
            The new ad for Lee Financial Services has a guy who painstakingly explains that if you have $100,000 and lost 50% of it, then you have (are you sitting down? taking notes?) $50,000 left.
            WHOA! Alert the media! Stop the presses! Go slow on that advanced math, k?
            (And for those who can't understand what he's saying, they even included a large graphic of that math for you.)
            Then he says that if you need their kind of help, to call Lee Financial Services. End of ad.
            I dunno. It strikes me that if someone is bright enough to have saved $100,000 to invest in the first place, they're likely bright enough to do that third-grade-level math.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Saw a new local ad on CNN this morning and it instantly qualifies for the "revolting & disgusting" list:
              The new ad for Lee Financial Services has a guy who .....

Huh!

"ad agencies"!
              cant live with 'em, can't kill 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Does anyone here have in mind a locally produced commercial in Hawaii that you utterly hated? Were offended by? Found completely revolting? Made you change the channel every time it came on?
                The ad I really dislike urges young children to run into traffic to try to stop a utility van if one of their friends is injured. "Wave your hands in the air" to stop the McGruff truck, or something like that.

"Hey, kids, if one of your friends gets hurt, don't summon the aid of a nearby adult with a cell phone. Instead, run into the street and wait for one of these vans while your friend lies screaming in pain or bleeds to death!" Not to mention the risk of Mr. Creepy showing up before the McGruff truck does.

These ads really bother me. Also, the jingle is terrible! Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

Ok don't see it here but it's gotta be revued.
                  cuz I don't see how anyone could enjoy it.
                  The most disgusting abraisive commercial is on leSea, Ch 14,. but as with all oceanic's stuff appears on a different channel.
                  in this case, 11.
                  saw it a few times a week. around the time i tune in for my fave; hawaii 5-0.
                  This unimaginative repetitive obnoxious guitar riff.
                  then this kid whining:
                  "geeeee Zusss izzz Laaayeeeef!
                  GEEE Zusss izzz Laaayeeeef!"

and then some absolutely ridiculous amateurish ryhymes that make no sense!...

gee zus is life!
                  All that i strife!
                  more than my wife!
                  I hear a drum and a fife!

all that Eye yum needun
                  my heart is beat'un!
                  that sheep is bleat'un.

(or sumpin lidat!)

over.
                  and
                  over
                  again!

So, I send them an email. telling them what i think of this commercial.
                  Then congratulate them on carrying Hawaii 5-0.
                  BEEEEG mistake!
                  Now, I am subject to this irrrritating commercial about three times per hawaii 5-0 episode.

Oh dear Lord;
                  please save me from yer followers!
                  Last edited by kimo55; August 23, 2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

here's another that gets me undies in a bunch.

commercial selling more tv services, cuz there are all these movie choices.

Time warner cable? i think.
                    Some fishmouth guy in a retro swivel chair. And the wall facing us is totally blank. Painted in a puke yellowgreen kinda shade.

But.
                    the wall jutting toward us is fulla small framed pictures. and there a lot of them. All bunched together on the wall, fully covering it.
                    'da hell kinda dysfunctional decorating is this!?

and the dude? some illiterate prozac addicted smiling freakazoid; uttering while peeking over his upper lip: "There is all these movie choices"
                    gawd! I hate that.

Comment

The worst local commercials:

1. OC 16's Cooking with Cutty... AGGHHH my brain I cant get the song out
                      2. The OKC kid's club.. MUMMBLLLE MUMMBLLE.. I agree, no Ludes for the kids prior to the shoot. Plus they "Freshed it up" lately where the kids mumble an entirly differnt line.
                      3. And of course the annoying guy in the puke green room, Almost as bad as the two old people who touted the wonders of a digital recorder and "THERE'S JENNIFER"

Of course local commercials everywhere will cause you to reach for a remote.

May God bless those who love us. And those who do not love us, may He turn their hearts. And if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

Comment

SICK wanna be polititians

SICK wanna be polititians

flipped the channel to 11 to watch hawaii 5-0 and its a commercial
                        the guy's describing how he wont allow abortions and all the while he shows incredibly disturbing explicit photographs of fetuses and his verbal description is enuff to make you want to hunt him down and ....

anyway; then it finishes with some very amateurish voice over and pictures of some guy saying vote for me for senate.

THEN
                        the station ID saying;
                        "stay tuned to lesea broadcasting for more great family entertainment!"

Gawd!
                        I turned off my favorite show anything to get away momentarily from that channel and switched on to a fabulous "horror film"
                        The Others with Nicole Kidman.
                        great movie.

Thanks lesea! ch 14 (11)

Comment

Originally posted by hitech redneck

noooo... Much prefer most local commercials to those on the mainland anyday. they usta be good back when.
                          now many seem to be smarmy, amateurish, cheap, badly cast, strange, peopled by characters you wantto NOT meet or live near.

exception. the ala moana ads lately are great
                          very pleasant to watch good music. great editing.

Comment

Recently in the past, I kept on seeing those pesky Panasonic 40th Anniversary commercials. GEEZ!! The lady says "We'll take this 'shirt' off 'our' backs!!!???" I think that's sick!
                            Last edited by bcr1652; September 16, 2004, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652
                              Recently in the past, I kept on seeing those pesky Panasonic 40th Anniversary commercials. GEEZ!! The lady says "We'll take this 'shirt' off 'our' backs!!!???" I think that's sick!

i really hate those commercials that:

show a closeup of someones mouth accepting a hamburger or whatever.

show someone licking off suace or whatever of another's face or cheeks.

siiiick.
                              ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by hitech redneck
                                1. OC 16's Cooking with Cutty... AGGHHH my brain I cant get the song out
                                Well, they're certainly sticky ads, then. It drives me nuts, too, but the ads aren't horrible, really... just too damn catchy.
                                2. The OKC kid's club.. MUMMBLLLE MUMMBLLE.. I agree, no Ludes for the kids prior to the shoot. Plus they "Freshed it up" lately where the kids mumble an entirly differnt line.
                                This has got to be the most cited "bad local ad" here, hands down. You're right, too, they "fixed" it... perhaps because more than a few folks had the same complaint.
                                Not neccessarily... there are a few entries in the "Favorite Local TV Ads" thread. Like Kimo, I'd probably add Ala Moana's current campaign. Strong, recognizable branding, decent production values.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, thanks, Kimo, for the heads up on the abortion ads on "family friendly" Lesea 11. I admit stopping there on occasion because of the "Hawaii 5-0" reruns, but that's absolutely something I wouldn't want to see. During their "advocacy" and religious programming, I might possibly see a fit, but now I wonder if they'd go as far as slipping that ad into reruns of children's cartoons.

Comment

Working...
                                X