X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmis for sale

Yikes. What does this mean for 2 and 9?

Re: Emmis for sale

Guess they go together, along with the Mainland properties. I wonder how a buyer would feel about the limbo the two island stations are in as far as FCC regs are concerned?

Joe Moore, in his usual style, had some smirking commentary when he reported the Emmis move. He said it would be the sixth or so owner of KHON since he's been there. "Each time, the owner made a boatload of money, if I recall," he said. "As far as I know, there has never been a plan to share that money with the employees."

And while I'm sure everyone in the studio started thinking about Moore's paycheck, he adds, "Well, life isn't fair."

Comment

Firm to Sell KHON, KGMB

Click above for the article by Erika Engle.

Honolulu's top-rated television stations, KHON and KGMB, are for sale, along with 14 sister stations from Florida to Oregon.

Indiana-based Emmis Communications Corp. was expected to announce today that it has hired an investment banking firm to explore options including an outright sale of its television division, according to an e-mail sent yesterday to station managers from Jeff Smulyan, Emmis chairman, president and chief executive.

Possibilities include an outright sale of all its TV stations, the purchase of a majority interest with continued management by Emmis, and the assembly of an investor group by current Emmis TV Division President Randy Bongarten to purchase the stations.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Does this mean that KGMB and KHON will be split up? I hate the fact that they are owned by the same company.

Comment

I think Emmis had this plan in place for awhile. KGMB did some renovating to their facilities in the last couple years, with the biggest addition being a brand new control room from which the newscasts are originated to little things like computers, carpeting, and furniture. Obviously in an effort to make them more attractive to potential buyers.

Also interesting to see what will become of G.M. Rick Blangiardi who has been running the two stations.

Comment

What happened to John Veneri? I havent seen him much since Leahy started at the station.

In regards to KGMB, Guy Hagi talks about surfing so much I wonder if he ever has anytime to spend with his 2 kids.

I liked his free plugs for Wendy's & Zippy's yesterday.........

KalihiBoy

Comment

Veneri's back on weekends as Wailele Salas moved to the mainland.

Comment

is wailele still in sports?

Comment

I think Waiele is doing toothpaste commercials, or he's touring for Bright Smile. (no need to adjust your sets!)
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Does this mean we'll FINALLY get CBS and FOX HD programming on Oceanic Cable's System?
                    I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Originally posted by 808htfan
                      Does this mean we'll FINALLY get CBS and FOX HD programming on Oceanic Cable's System?

No......neither station is broadcasting in HD yet, or anyone locally for that matter.

Comment

I thought KITV had an HD feed? A coworker was just raving about seeing "Lost" in high-definition glory. (Not that this has anything to do with Emmis, but I'm just wondering.)

Comment

I stand corrected....there is KITV's HD signal on Oceanic.....

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Joe Moore, in his usual style, had some smirking commentary when he reported the Emmis move. He said it would be the sixth or so owner of KHON since he's been there. "Each time, the owner made a boatload of money, if I recall," he said. "As far as I know, there has never been a plan to share that money with the employees."

And while I'm sure everyone in the studio started thinking about Moore's paycheck, he adds, "Well, life isn't fair."
                            I was thinking the same thing when he said that. Hmmm maybe Kanoa will get that anchor position sooner than Joe thought after Joe shamelessly predicted that Kanoa would succeed him in the years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                              I stand corrected....there is KITV's HD signal on Oceanic.....
                              Right, I have that. Nice to see some of my favorites in HD.

Originally posted by tvguy
                              No......neither station is broadcasting in HD yet
                              KGMB and KHON were broadcasting live events, like football, in HD Over-The-Air if I'm not mistaken. The reason they weren't on Oceanic had something to do with Emmis and Time Warner. I was wondering how fast things might change now that Emmis will finally be outta here?
                              I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Working...
                              X