This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" on ABC

Oh, I didn't doubt there was some background behind the signal repetition; it would have been a heckuva leap of imagination not to have something behind it. I'd just never heard of it.

The US Marshal badge looked like something you could have bought from an ad in the back of comic books, didn't it?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I knew that second episode would do it for a lot of people! When I saw the premiere at Sunset on the Beach, it was the second episode that really hooked me. As I said, I think it's the characters and their development that will make or break this show, and so far, the characters are well-defined and quite interesting. It's not difficult to care about them.

I love, too, how the Korean man prepared the sea urchins. And that scene where he offers them to the pregnant woman, and her reaction when she feels the baby kick again. It was very good acting.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Last night's episode fell in the "character development" column. (I wonder if there's going to be alternating between "meet the people" and "scary monster" shows?) So, my coworker who likes the Twilight Zone aspect was bored, but I was still relatively entertained. No big reveals like we had in the second half of the pilot, but they added more depth to several personalities without slipping into soap opera territory.

Of course, there are soap tactics at work, because clearly "who knows what" will be a big part of what builds the tension and motivates the people on the island. One batch of folks knows about the broadcast, another pair knows about Kate... I hope they don't tangle things up too much with the "don't tell her"/"he knows already" twists.

This was mostly Kate's episode, although Locke (Backgammon Man) is being set up for bigger things, and Jin and Sun softened up earlier than I expected. I really like Hurley, and hope we'll have a Claire (pregnant woman) episode soon.

Any bets on which character we know (i.e. not "redshirts") we're going to lose next? Since they're setting us up to dislike Shannon (prissy girl), chances are she's safe. I thought Michael (dad) was going to bite the dust for it this week, but he survived.

And my wife thinks Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is cute.

Comment

Well, that was exciting. I remain interested in this program, even four weeks into it. For me, that's rare. Anyone else? I'll put my little synopsis of tonight's relevant events behind the spoiler screen.
          So Locke was in a wheelchair, had a punk for a boss, told the punk off and quit, and recovered his ability to walk after the crash. And the knives were part of his abortive walkabout trip. And he saw something in the jungle before he killed the boar.

Comment

Came home late today just in time to watch this show. I too have stuck with this program since day 1 and for the first time this season, I have not bothered to tape Hawaii. It looks like each episode of this program will be one day in the life of the castaways. So if the show progresses through 22 or so episodes, it is quite possible by the end of the season, the show will have only progressed 22 days.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I didn't tape Hawaii on NBC either, but that's 'cause it wasn't aired. Preempted because of the debate, apparently. It returns next week.

As for Lost? Another good episode. It was Locke's turn for background. I thought they gave us his "big reveal" (his actual hunting/survival prowess) too early in the episode, but it turns out it was only part of the story. So when they finally explained what "miracle" he was talking about last week? Good stuff.

And we finally saw the set I photographed downtown in July!

Small details and thoughtful moments are what really impresses me about this show. Locke's foot obsession and "don't tell me what I can't do" line, his smarmy boss' demand for "TPS reports," and who Helen turned out to be. The young boy's Korean lesson. Rose's conviction about her husband. And especially Claire's memorial service. "She wore corrective lenses..." Makes you stop and think: How would you be memorialized, based only on what you carried with you on a trip?

Of course, as past questions are answered, new questions are introduced. Who was that in Sayid's photos? And who does Jack think he sees in the brush?

So far we've gone much longer without losing another character to the mysterious creature than I would've anticipated. Maybe next week? It'll probably be a redshirt.

Comment

who Helen turned out to be
                ??

Was I out of the room? I missed that altogether. Please elucidate.

It's a reasonable guess that Sayid's photos were of his wife/girlfriend; he doesn't look old enough to have a daughter of that age. (Of course, the burqa, just like a Catholic nun's habit, kind of blurs age for its wearer, at least for me.)

Comment

Was I out of the room? I missed that altogether. Please elucidate.
                  Sorry, I try to keep my posts vague in case someone's got "Lost" taped and doesn't want to know. Then again, unlike movies, I don't think we need to be that careful with spoilers when it comes to a weekly TV show. If you don't want to know, don't read the thread!

Helen, who is mentioned in the lunchroom and mocked by the boss, and who Locke calls out for by accident after the boar attack, is on the phone with Locke. He's tellling her about his plans to go on the walkabout, and she says she's happy for him. But when he tells her he bought two tickets, she gets upset, says she can't meet with customers, and has to hang up or it'll cost another $89 for another hour.

Comment

Right. Thanks. Now I remember that little scene.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

So far we've gone much longer without losing another character to the mysterious creature than I would've anticipated. Maybe next week? It'll probably be a redshirt.
                      If any main charcter perishes, it will either be during the months of November, February or May. Think "sweeps".
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, that was useful, I guess. Now we know what Jack was doing on the plane, anyway. But there's still an awful lot of stuff to be explained!

Comment

This is the first time I saw an entire episode. Anyway isn't kind of strange about Jack's dad casket. It seemed that it didn't get damaged during the crash but there was no body in the casket.

Comment

Guess there's no need for me to be vague!

Jack's backstory was interesting enough. So he has daddy issues. "You don't get to say 'I can't.' Not after what you did!" Hmm. But I have to admit, I'm still more curious about several of the other characters.

We had our first fatality (if you discount the pilot in the... well, pilot), and as expected it was a redshirt. Even I can't remember her name, now. But, from Jack's perspective of course, it was an opportunity to lament, "We've been here six days, and I never spoke to her." Well, we never met her either.

Locke's brief musing on "The Nature Of The Island" will probably be parsed to death at fan sites. What's real, what's not, what various events mean. "I've looked into the eye of this island, and what I saw... was beautiful." So, some characters (like Locke) see beauty, some (like Jack) see ghosts of their past, and some... get eaten?

I liked Claire's line, something to the effect of, "I'm a walking time bomb of responsibility that no one wants to get close to." Jack's long overdue "we're all in this together!" lecture was mercifully short. And the Korean couple seem to be coming up soon on the backstory train. Especially given the very titillating promo for next week's episode... which already has a rebroadcast planned.

It was neat to see the Hawaii Convention Center play the part of an international airport, with apparently very little modification needed (now that's great location selection). My wife and I studied the "Sydney hotel" where Jack's father stayed to try and triangulate it... you could see the Marco Polo and part of the Waikiki Landmark out the window. And we've now been introduced to "The Cave," the interior set built in the old Xerox building on Nimitz that we'll see a lot more of after they run out of scenes shot on the beach at Kualoa.

I'll miss that beach. I hope they still use a lot of outdoor settings for the series... that cave will start to feel claustrophobic pretty quickly.
                            Last edited by pzarquon; October 21, 2004, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Well it is possible the body got up and walked away... hahaha! It seems anything is possible on this island... you run out of water... and whammo.... a dead guy shows you where all the water is.....unbelieveable, but still a fun show to watch... at least now I don't have to watch one show while taping the other (Hawaii).....
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                Well it is possible the body got up and walked away... hahaha! It seems anything is possible on this island... you run out of water... and whammo.... a dead guy shows you where all the water is.....unbelieveable, but still a fun show to watch... at least now I don't have to watch one show while taping the other (Hawaii).....
                                Well, after all, the famous phrase about the movies is "suspend disbelief," right?

Comment

Working...
                                X