This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" on ABC

Based on a two-hour pilot episode considered to be the most expensive ever shot for television, ABC has picked up "Lost" for its Fall lineup. Filmed in Hawaii and using the classic "stranded on an island" setup, this series will air Wednesday nights at 8 p.m.

Here's a video clip, and the Star-Bulletin article on its green light from ABC. With production slated to begin in July, it'll be a while before we can see tune in. But if you've got a thought or juicy tip from the set, we'd love to hear it! Here's ABC's official pitch:
    Out of the blackness the first thing Jack (Matthew Fox) senses is pain. Then burning sun. A Bamboo forest. Smoke. Screams. With a rush comes the horrible awareness that the plane he was on tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island. From there it's a blur, as his doctor's instinct kicks in: people need his help.

Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had—like Kate who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds. The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain. But the intense howls of the mysterious creatures stalking the jungle fill them all with fear. Fortunately, thanks to the calm leadership of quick-thinking Jack and level-headed Kate (Evangeline Lilly), they have hope. But even heroes have secrets, as the survivors will come to learn.

From J.J. Abrams, the creator of Alias and Felicity comes an action-packed adventure that will bring out the very best and the very worst in the people who are lost.

Also Starring: Ian Somerhalder, Dominic Monaghan, Jorge Garcia, Maggie Grace, Malcolm David Kelley, Naveen Andrews, Harold Perrineau, Josh Holloway, Terry O'Quinn, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim

Re: "Lost" on ABC

But the intense howls of the mysterious creatures stalking the jungle fill them all with fear.
    Well either the rest of Earth got invaded by these creatures or the cast of characters are on another planet.

Wednesday nights. Isn't Hawaii also on Wednesday night?

Comment

Why? It's "Lost" on me.

Originally posted by pzarquon
      But the intense howls of the mysterious creatures stalking the jungle fill them all with fear.
      Actually those are the sounds of approaching stereotypes.

I sincerely hope "Lost" bites the big one so JJ can pay attention to repairing the damage done to "Alias."

I'm all for creativity, but JJ's got enough money and the last thing I want to see on TV is a remixed "Gilligan's Island."
      Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
      Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
      WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
      Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

TV fan Kimo and local casting director Sue report in soc.culture.hawaii that the local production office for "Lost" will be the long-vacant former Xerox location on Nimitz Highway. I noticed the construction last week, and wondered who'd signed the lease. The building has been on the list of "largest avaiable commercial space" in this town for years... not surprisingly.

I've started a business thread to discuss the implications of this notable site selection... to talk about the "Lost" series itself, of course, this is still the place.
        Last edited by pzarquon; June 5, 2004, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Sooner or later the tabloid news press will pick up on the fact that ABC's "Lost" is using the same building where Brian Uyesugi killed 7 people in his rampage of November 1999. This is just the kind of stuff tabs like to publish about Hollywood.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Just watched the short clip that someone posted about the new ABC show "LOST". It seems to have enough action for me, but it'll depend on where the storyline goes from there...I enjoy action type films...escape from reality.
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Jon at TalkStink.com clipped this Variety article:

Is 'Lost' too scary?
              The creators of ABC's new drama "Lost" -- the ultimate antidote to "Gilligan's Island" -- said Tuesday they probably will have to tone down some parts of the castaway show... "There are going to be certain things that my guess is we're going to have to adjust, not just for the timeslot, but to air at all," [creator J.J.] Abrams told critics. "I mean there are going to be things we're going to have to sort of adjust and imply more than depict..."

Comment

An update today from the Honolulu Advertiser touching on both NBC's "Hawaii" and ABC's "Lost," noting the competition for resources between them, FOX's "North Shore" and the WB's pending "Rocky Point."

Cameras start rolling on 'Hawaii,' 'Lost'
                Let the production madness commence: Two Hawai'i-based TV series are starting production this morning, bringing to three the number of major network dramas shooting on O'ahu... ABC's survivor drama "Lost," starts shooting today near the Pali... Both "Hawaii" and "Lost" are being shot on location while their respective soundstages are being built... "Lost" is leasing the old Xerox Building on N. Nimitz Highway... The ABC show follows a group of plane-crash survivors on a deserted island. Production designer Carlos Barbosa is overseeing the construction of a "cave" set, where the show's characters will take shelter.
                Please pardon the crossposting... There are separate threads for "Hawaii" and "North Shore."

Comment

Some surprisingly detailed plot notes are in an update in today's Star-Bulletin, which grabs some quotes from the "Is 'Lost' too scary?" piece above, but then goes on to explain a big chunk of what we'll see in the pilot episode to air in September.

Family-safe thrills in store for isle-based ‘Lost’
                  Tim Ryan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, July 16, 2004
                  The pilot opens with Matthew Fox ("Party of Five"), who plays the physician Jack, waking up on a tropical beach after an accident. Moments later, the viewer sees that it's a plane crash. The pilot episode uses flashbacks to show the plane ride and learn more about the passengers stranded on the island.

Comment

Tim Ryan spills some more details on the setup and pilot of "Lost." This paragraph caught my eye:
                    The production has been filming in Chinatown last week, doing flashback sequences, including using one building whose ground floor windows were painted with the words "Melbourne Walkabout Tourist."
                    I walked past that set, and took pictures, but didn't know what show it was set up for. (I'm sure the local TV/movie biz folks are just thrilled I can even write a sentence like that.) It was "Melbourne Walkabout Tours," by the way. Anyway, now I know. It was kind of neat, to see the 1 S. King building - usually home to an art gallery - converted into a travel agency. Note the false wall in the third picture.

Comment

Anyone catch the screening of the two-hour pilot in Waikiki last night? It apparently held the crowd's attention pretty well!

Sunset crowd previews 'Lost'
                      Michael Tsai, Honolulu Advertiser, August 29, 2004
                      And from the opening close-up of star Matthew Fox awakening in a bamboo forest through the chaotic scene as Fox's character Jack, a doctor, desperately tries to aid his fellow survivors amid the still whirring wreckage of their crashed passenger jet, thousands of rapt viewers watched in tense, eerie silence.

Comment

"Lost"

You know, I don't usually anticipate new tv shows, but this review in the Advertiser has got me interested enough to try to watch.

I'm sure everyone else has seen the hundreds of promos on ABC, and they didn't do it for me, but reading about the cast and the storyline (4-5 seasons already planned out? Hubris, intelligence, or hope over experience?) has intrigued me.

Whoops. Ryan, go ahead and move this to the other Hawai'i new shows thread if you like. My mistake.
                        Last edited by Linkmeister; September 21, 2004, 02:43 PM. Reason: Suggestion to move this new thread to the Hawaii shows thread
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I'm looking forward to this show, too. The fact that they're thinking big, with a general story arc that will span 4-5 seasons, is impressive and intriguing (and hopefully not bad luck!). The character bios the Honolulu Advertiser piece you linked are also enticing. The presence of non-English speaking characters is neat, and has some interesting possibilities.

Ever since stories started surfacing that the $10 million pilot had to be edited to be less intense, I knew it was going to be a unique television effort. And now, we know there'll be the Director's Cut DVD!

Comment

I went to the Sunset on the Beach premiere, and skeptical though I was, I came away quite pleased with what I saw. Most of the discussion here has been on the setting and plot, but what really did it for me was the characters. The show does a good job of defining them and making you care about them. I'm most intrigued by the non-English-speaking Korean couple (and if you watch through to the end of the second episode, you'll see one reason why).

As for the spooky stuff, it's interesting, but from where I'm watching, it serves more as a device for getting to know the characters better than interesting plot development.

I do not watch a lot of television, but I'm going to watch this until I tire of the characters.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Geez louise, I forgot that this show conflicts with "Hawaii" on NBC. Michael Tsai posted a fun rundown.

Finally having two TiVo boxes in the house will pay off.

Apparently, ABC is rebroadcasting the pilot episode of "Lost" several times, though, so if you miss it, you'll be able to catch it later. Next Wednesday, Sept. 29, and Saturday, Oct. 2 as well...

Wait. If it's a two-part pilot, those second dates might not be a repeat. Hmm.

Also, the Star-Bulletin has a good interview with Daniel Dae Kim and Yun Jin Kim, including more detail on the Korean characters.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; September 22, 2004, 12:12 PM. Reason: Adding link, clarifying pilot information.

Comment

Working...
                              X