• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

Originally posted by lavagal
    Tutusue:
    I have got to complain about local commercials. Is there a certain price range where you sign on to get the same lousy weird-ass jingle whether you're a chiropractor or a furniture mover or a dentist? [...]
    Music and jingles are definitely not my areas of expertise. In the good ol' days <g> lower budget commercials used needle drops. They're now called laser drops. Sign of the times! Music is budget driven, just like every other aspect of production. The lower the budget the more it shows...stock music vs original music. And, there are various rates within these choices.

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    those are Citybanks, yea?
    hahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Take the word "Bankohana" or "That's my Bank!"...
    those are Citybanks, yea?

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal
    Tutusue:
    I have got to complain about local commercials. Is there a certain price range where you sign on to get the same lousy weird-ass jingle whether you're a chiropractor or a furniture mover or a dentist?

I'm thinking West Pac International! Isn't that lame-ass melody used for ear doctors, cheesy plastic surgeons, snacks, crunchy weird sausages and dentists who have big scary smiles?

And what about those OC Keiki Klub commercials?

Oh, I'm on a rant! Stop me! Stop me!

At home we refer to these works of "JINGLE MASTERS" because they are just the sorriest commercials ever. Almost as bad as the plastic slip cover commercials featuring women with huge boobs that were so hot on UHF stations on the East Coast during the 60s!
    All I have to say is try to listen to any commercial without the volume...Very boring.

Most background music, whether it be a jingle or just music added to the background is added to assist in the overall commercials Audio and Visual appearance.

Sometimes even if it's a bad audio clip...that bad audio clip is enough to provide enough of a 30 second "audio clip/"jingle" to allow for product identification in the future.... Even if in the future you start to hear that commercial and then turn the channel as soon as you hear the beginning...at least they have gotten 5 seconds of there music in your head to provide at least something to make you think about them.

Even short words that are made up can provide for these same audio samples....

Take the word "Bankohana" or "That's my Bank!"... no one would that has lived here for any period of time would associate that with First Hawaiian Bank by now, however we are constantly hearing these same commercials in one format or another.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

While many of them sound alike, I actually think it's kind of neat that jingles are still alive and well. If pickup truck bed liners can have a song, anyone can.

Of course, if you're looking to gripe about lousy local ads, we've got a thread for that. There's probably a lot more material (and a lot more fun at times) to be had there.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Tutusue:
    I have got to complain about local commercials. Is there a certain price range where you sign on to get the same lousy weird-ass jingle whether you're a chiropractor or a furniture mover or a dentist?

I'm thinking West Pac International! Isn't that lame-ass melody used for ear doctors, cheesy plastic surgeons, snacks, crunchy weird sausages and dentists who have big scary smiles?

And what about those OC Keiki Klub commercials?

Oh, I'm on a rant! Stop me! Stop me!

At home we refer to these works of "JINGLE MASTERS" because they are just the sorriest commercials ever. Almost as bad as the plastic slip cover commercials featuring women with huge boobs that were so hot on UHF stations on the East Coast during the 60s!

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

I love that hawaii self storage commercial where, at the end, some guys wail a slogan song thing.
    They say:

"...and remember... licence urine!"

or is is
    "...and remember, the crisis you're in!"

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    KFC, locally, has a new "Lost" themed ad that had us giggling. Survivors on a beach, modeled after characters most of us know well -- a prissy blonde, a large, shaggy haired guy, a bald outdoorsman, an Asian couple...

The blonde panics. The bald guy throws a knife and says the solution is to hunt... for KFC. Buckets of chicken are discovered, one floating on the sea. The large guy becomes entranced by the numbers... six pieces, twelve pieces, twenty pieces...

Totally cheesy, but in such a fun spirit. I can only hope it's one of a series!
    Dunno why I didn't see this thread under 'latest posts' when it was current.

Anywhoooooo...the first time I saw that spot I was fooled! Then I heard it was the spot for which I had to turn down the casting 'cuz of other committments. Dang...that woulda been fun!

The director is a very talented guy...Brett Wagner, who has been in Hawaii for 4 years or so. He even wrote, played guitar, sang and recorded a scratch track song for one of our casting sessions.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
    This thread never dies it lives on and on, I love it! You know I might just have some of these old ads on beta tape. I'd LOVE to market a locally produced DVD that people could buy to watch nothing but old local commercials. I wonder if people would buy it though!?[...]KalihiBoy
    I'd buy it!!! Really!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    KFC, locally, has a new "Lost" themed ad that had us giggling. (...) Totally cheesy, but in such a fun spirit. I can only hope it's one of a series!
    Ditto to all of the above! I think I'll actually hit KFC for lunch today just as a symbol of support for the new ad!

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

This thread never dies it lives on and on, I love it! You know I might just have some of these old ads on beta tape. I'd LOVE to market a locally produced DVD that people could buy to watch nothing but old local commercials. I wonder if people would buy it though!? Maybe I have to run it on Olelo or some form of public access programming.

I was watching an old newscast with Joe Moore and Les Keiter recently from 25 years ago! I bet I have more old footage than even some of the local stations have!

Sorry no Checkers & Pogo footage.....yet! I also have a old music video show hosted by Frank Shaner from 1980 and has I think Kamasami Kong judging a Space Invaders contest at the old Kuhio Mall.

KalihiBoy

Leave a comment:

• <G>
    replied

I Liked the Ala Moana x-mass spots.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Since I was a HonFed employee, I was very partial to the ones they had on back in the 70's. Especially the ones about "Honolulu Lulu". I was actually pictured in one of the early ads for the ATM machine - that was kind of cool!

Fran

Leave a comment:

• Uncle WIlly
    replied

my favorite ad was from the mid to late '80's, meadow gold ice cream, remember i believe micheal w perry asked which flavor is you favorite and all these characters would come out and say their favorite, and at the very end a polynesian warrior runs out with the spear and says, "Two scoop Vanilla" YES! thos were the days

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

About that Lost themed KFC ad. I arrived home kind of late tonight around 7:40 pm, turned on the TV, tune in to KITV and started to get my dinner ready. I saw the commerical thinking it was a Lost episode, the girl playing Shannon was dead on (pardon the pun), the Hurley character was okay up until the knife hit the tree next to his head, then I knew something was up.

The Locke character holding a 6 piece KFC bucket kind of confirmed that I was not watching an eariler that usual Lost episode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X