X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV commericals you like to watch

Originally posted by tutusue
    The understated "goofy smiles" were part of the 'gag'! I don't know whether or not those were actual CPB bank tellers (my guess is they were). If so, then it's difficult at best to direct someone...anyone...who has never been on camera before, esp. in a spot with a comedic undertone.
    I hear ya.

I see how I woulda directed it slightly differently, when I watch sumpin li dat:
    would had the teller smile, shake their head, look down and have them do a lil paperwork or sumpin at the their spot, look up again bemused... as if they are at the ready but amused at the response of the free gift thing..
    or at least show a reaction. coulda been a cardboard cutout.

but then what am I; freakin speilberg or sumpin?!

Comment

This will be news to Ryan, but I'm the unofficial president of the non-existent "Ryan Ozawa Family Fan Club"!
      Heh. You got two things right... "non-existent," and "big head." Hell, you could fit two of my wife's heads into a hat that fits mine. Two out of three kids, fortunately, seemed to have escaped that gene...

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the wiggly iPod ads, either, but hey, they're memorable. (By the way, someone actually asked at HawaiiAnswers.com about the song used in the ad. Maybe you could help me get the official source, 2-2?) I'll take 'em over Territorial's bizarre "chasing butterflies" theme. That idea might work if the execution wasn't so poor (the CG work on some seem straight out of a Commodore 64).

Er, but this is the Favorite Local TV Ads thread, yeah? Um...

I agree with Kimo on the Ala Moana ads, the "multitalented/faceted woman" campaign. Not too polished, not too klunky, just right for a mall that's trying to restore its appeal to the local market.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Hell, you could fit two of my wife's heads into a hat that fits mine..
        uh.. how MANY heads does she have?

Comment

I agree with Kimo on the Ala Moana ads, the "multitalented/faceted woman" campaign. Not too polished, not too klunky, just right for a mall that's trying to restore its appeal to the local market.
          good editing, good music, talent was well chosen and directed.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            I hear ya.

I see how I woulda directed it slightly differently, when I watch sumpin li dat:
            would had the teller smile, shake their head, look down and have them do a lil paperwork or sumpin at the their spot, look up again bemused
            <Talking about the CPB iPod Commercial>
            The tellers should have made a comical attempt at simulating the customer's dance moves. Then show the Bank manager (an older woman wearing WAY TOO MUCH make up) walk behind the teller with an irritated expression on their face.

The asian girl's dance moves looked pretty hot, gotta admit. And how's da big braddah making da' kine, "Walk Like an Egyptian", or somethin' laddat.

Talking about tacky, yet memorable commercials, I used to like Mel Cabang's "Singing Caesar" Caesar's Cleaners flight.

It was so rediculously tacky, it became "cute" and definately memorable. Plus, the production quality - both audio and video - was so poor, it gave it even more romance. Bring back da' Singing Caesar.. hale Caesar! lol
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Nah, I'll always be an SCHer at heart having been there since day one! However, I have enough killfiles going that I see relatively few daily posts. Okay, okay...I have only one killfile in place and it takes care of 75% of the posts!!! Know what I mean?
              Oh yeah.

Comment

Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

No one's mentioned it yet, but one of my current favorite series are the ads for A.I.G. auto insurance. I'm sure you seen these:

1. A dad gives his daughter her first car, a plain jane sedan. But when the daughter looks out the window she sees a red sports car (the sedan rolled down the hill and crashed into something).... She gets way too excited and the father wonders why... looks out the window and see the plain sedan all fixed up.

2. Two kids are playing with the remote control, but it really is the garage door opener.... and they're smashing the family car with the door going up and down on top of it...

They're probably not that great of ads, but I think they're ok.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

2. Two kids are playing with the remote control, but it really is the garage door opener.... and they're smashing the family car with the door going up and down on top of it...

dis one's a gud one. funny.
                  looks like audie doin the tow truck thing. and his wide eyed shock at da end. perfect.

Comment

Ah, the AIG ads. "I am my own eyewitness!" Well produced, and some relatively entertaining. It's the little touches, like the line above, or the way the woman whose mailbox is replaced reacts, or the look on the elderly man's face when he's only hobbled ten feet away to get help when he's summoned back.

The crushed car is okay, except anyone who has a garage door opener knows a modern door would barely crush a can of soup. And the new car that rolls away? Funny if you're watching, not so much if you only have to hear that girl's fit of hysterics. Third time in any given evening? Gotta turn it off.

Not sure how wise it is, as an insurance company, to overstate your response time that much, but I guess because it's that unbelievable, it's fine.

Comment

My favorite is easily the anti-smoking one with all the kids, and the little girl at the end who says "Who wants to live 'til they're 40 anyway?"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        My favorite is easily the anti-smoking one with all the kids, and the little girl at the end who says "Who wants to live 'til they're 40 anyway?"
                        I'll admit those kids definitely enunciate better than the OKC Kids Club kids. I know it's difficult to direct children, but...

The anti-smoking PSA where they file into the movie theater and end up with targets on their chest I thought was well made. The "one, two, three packs a day!" ad you cite is kinda funny... until your kids start reciting the lines at odd moments!

Comment

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the wiggly iPod ads, either, but hey, they're memorable. (By the way, someone actually asked at HawaiiAnswers.com about the song used in the ad. Maybe you could help me get the official source, 2-2?) .
                          I was actually the guy who did the "online editing" (industry lingo for "the guy who color-corrects, adds graphics and makes everything look all pretty before if goes to air") for these spots...when I go into work on Monday, I can actually load up my Final Cut Pro project file and tell you the name of that music track

Regardless of its origin, I CAN tell you that I'm f-ing SICK of hearing that damn song!

I have to admit, I really enjoyed working on Denby's scenes, though. Yum.

Comment

Heh. You got two things right... "non-existent," and "big head." Hell, you could fit two of my wife's heads into a hat that fits mine. Two out of three kids, fortunately, seemed to have escaped that gene...

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the wiggly iPod ads, either, but hey, they're memorable. (By the way, someone actually asked at HawaiiAnswers.com about the song used in the ad. Maybe you could help me get the official source, 2-2?) I'll take 'em over Territorial's bizarre "chasing butterflies" theme. That idea might work if the execution wasn't so poor (the CG work on some seem straight out of a Commodore 64).

Er, but this is the Favorite Local TV Ads thread, yeah? Um...

I just emailed the producer for the name of the song so we'll see if she'll respond! The town is slammed with work...me included. I have no business playing in this forum right now! At least I'm in the office. That's a start!

The AMC spots are nice. Their ad agency has a group of young creatives. I've been working with that group a lot the past 6 weeks. Now, even THEY call me 'Tutu Sue'!

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
                              I was actually the guy who did the "online editing" (industry lingo for "the guy who color-corrects, adds graphics and makes everything look all pretty before if goes to air") for these spots...when I go into work on Monday, I can actually load up my Final Cut Pro project file and tell you the name of that music track

Regardless of its origin, I CAN tell you that I'm f-ing SICK of hearing that damn song!

I have to admit, I really enjoyed working on Denby's scenes, though. Yum.
                              Were you lucky enough to be involved in her KFC spot?!

Ok...so here's a classic example of why I mentioned in another post that I must be politically correct when addressing this subject 'cuz one never knows who's lurking!!!

Have we met?!

Comment

Ok...so here's a classic example of why I mentioned in another post that I must be politically correct when addressing this subject 'cuz one never knows who's lurking!!!
                                I think my boss visits this board every now and then, based on a few "hints" in the office. Whether the criticism is good or bad, it's a useful tool to gauge our work.

Anyways,
                                How about the Hawaiian Water's Adventure park commercial? The girl riding TheBus. They shoot it as if she's caught on a bus surveillance camera. The girl is pretending like she's riding H.W.A.P.'s Big Kahuna water slide, yelling and raising hands in the air, roller coaster style. The passengers around her don't react at all, so the viewer knows she's actually just dreaming the experience. That was clever!
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X