X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

Originally posted by Pomai
    ANNA MILLERS new commercial jingle at first had me grinding my teeth.. thinking, "what the hell is this cr@p?"
    I think this is the first time Anna Millers has a commercial. I don't remember seeing it advertised on TV before.

Comment

The old Bank of Hawaii Harry and wife spots were warm and inviting. I wonder how they're doing. They tried hard with the 'that's my bank', but that got old real quick... as a matter of fact, from the very first spot. I swear I wanted the friend to clock the 'that's my bank guy' one square in the jaw.

I like the AIG commercials. nicely done.

The Paradise pages has a nice effect. The subject is crisp and in focus, while around him/her blurrs out. Nice editing, clean and well laid out.

I still remember them long distance commercials with danny kaleiakini. forgot what company tho. yeah, i'm oldschool.

anyone remember 'the exchange, going down down down and around round round... the exchange'?
      Aw-rie...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie
        The old Bank of Hawaii Harry and wife spots were warm and inviting. I wonder how they're doing. They tried hard with the 'that's my bank', but that got old real quick... as a matter of fact, from the very first spot. I swear I wanted the friend to clock the 'that's my bank guy' one square in the jaw.

I like the AIG commercials. nicely done.

The Paradise pages has a nice effect. The subject is crisp and in focus, while around him/her blurrs out. Nice editing, clean and well laid out.

I still remember them long distance commercials with danny kaleiakini. forgot what company tho. yeah, i'm oldschool.

anyone remember 'the exchange, going down down down and around round round... the exchange'?
        I believe one of the them passed away. They were a wonderful couple on and off the camera.

The exchange ad was discussed here a while back.

Local TV Jingles From Yesteryear ( 1 2 3 )
        do a search on HT. I'm not to good in pulling up links.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

I believe one of the them passed away. They were a wonderful couple on and off the camera.
          You get good memory, Auntie. Ben "Harry" Tamashiro passed away March of last year.

Comment

We did a thread on old Hawaii TV ads and jingles:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5435

Thread is still open, so anyone can add an oldie they remember there.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              That is great. I love that DSL providers - locally and overall - are finally stepping up to the fight with cable companies. Cable internet ads are overly simplistic and questionably accurate ("Look at this big fat coaxial cable! Of course it's faster than this skinny phone cable!")... DSL providers are finally fighting fire with fire. If the Hawaiian Telecom ad is a locally-produced answer to the huge, Time Warner cable campaign, then more power to 'em!
              hello i just registered here!

but speaking of accuracy and fairness in the cable modem commercial.... i thought it was a bit misleading the way they said you all have to share the same straw. im not really an expert in cable modems, but when my neighbor doesnt pay their roadrunner bill, im still online.

and even if it was the case that we all shared a cable connection, you dont put your mouth on other peoples cable connections, so how can they play the "gross out" angle?

just a thought.

Comment

Local tv ads

Was there a thread about local tv ads we like/dislike? I was trying to search for it, but couldn't find it. Or maybe I'm blind. Was it intermingled with the national tv ads? Oh bother, I'm too tired to look.

Anyway, I was reminded today of how I like the "Cars cost less at Cutter" commercials. They sort of leave you with that confused smile on your face. I especially like the guy on the deserted island who goes running for the bottle washing up on shore (the full-length commercial). He pulls out the note, and it says, "Cars cost less at Cutter." I dunno, cracks me up everytime. I also like the one of the young couple at the Chinese restaurant making eyes at each other. The girl opens her fortune cookie to find the same message. Priceless. There's that confused smile again. It's like I feel bad for them, but want to laugh at the same time.
                Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Re: Local tv ads

yea we mentioned these a while ago.
                  http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=543

that one were the mountain climber reaches near the zenith and asks the zen monk like dude:

whuzz duh sekwit tuh life?

"hmmmm; cars cost lest ats cutter"

he replies. surprised they didn't do another take!

Comment

After searching again, I found the thread: Local TV ads you like

BTW, that guy who climbed the "mountain" to find out the "secret of life," was David Farmer, one of the former exec. directors of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts. He also is an art reviewer/critic for the Sunday paper.
                    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                      [...] Anyway, I was reminded today of how I like the "Cars cost less at Cutter" commercials. They sort of leave you with that confused smile on your face. I especially like the guy on the deserted island who goes running for the bottle washing up on shore (the full-length commercial). He pulls out the note, and it says, "Cars cost less at Cutter." I dunno, cracks me up everytime. I also like the one of the young couple at the Chinese restaurant making eyes at each other. The girl opens her fortune cookie to find the same message. Priceless. There's that confused smile again. It's like I feel bad for them, but want to laugh at the same time.
                      High 5 to Tiptoetulip! You get the concept! It makes no difference whether or not you like the commercials (but I'm glad you do). You at least get the concept.

And, you're right. That is David Farmer in the 'guru' spot. He's a good actor with a lot of theater experience.

Oh, and Kimo...lotsa takes are shot and the best one, according to the director and ad agency, is used. Of course, there are many times they wish they had more to choose from. But, in dealing with people with no acting experience (unlike David), the director knows when it's time to move on!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        Oh, and Kimo...lotsa takes are shot and the best one, according to the director and ad agency, is used. Of course, there are many times they wish they had more to choose from. But, in dealing with people with no acting experience (unlike David), the director knows when it's time to move on!
                        yea thatss whuddum sayin. surprised they used that take outta all they had. surprised that was the best.
                        They coulda lopped it in post. They could have used anyone elses voice.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          yea thatss whuddum sayin. surprised they used that take outta all they had. surprised that was the best.
                          They coulda lopped it in post. They could have used anyone elses voice.
                          Hmmm...I'll need to pay more attention to it the next time I see it. They air intermittently so I might be missing sumthin'! But, I think it's probably just a matter of personal taste. I think the guru's delivery, as I remember it, was what the creatives were looking for.

Ummm...possibly did you mean 'looped'?

Comment

sorry yea.
                            looped. coffee not kicked in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                              I liked that one, too. Of course, in real life they'd be pounding each other. I also generally like the Zippy's ads, for the music and the black & white design. (Is the producer the same one who did the ads with those people running around downtown with butterfly nets?) I really like the Zippy's ad with the woman running around town, running errands with her kid and her dog, because the dog in that commercial is really cute. Also (disclaimer), it's *my* dog! (He donated his fee to the Humane Society, which is where I got him.) But I think I'd pretty much like the Zippy's ads, even without the family tie. Catchy, simple music with a driving bass line and drums, uncomplicated themes ... and hey, it's Zippy's!
                              My Favorite Zippy's ad was about 20 years ago Jade Moon eating a plate ... not saying a thing....Her face said it all.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Good to see HECO bring back that good ole' "Hawaiian Electric" Koto tune by the jazz band, HIROSHIMA.

Hip MTV-style "energy-saving" clip-shots of people shutting off various electrical appliances and lighting.

**But my computer stays ON damned it!**
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X