This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" Season 2

Noticed that, too. Funny. Guessing the captions were scrambled specifically to mirror the brief disorientation Sawyer and Michael had in interpreting what Jin was trying to say.

Screencaps are circulating that show the "DHARMA" company logo on the side of the shark. Hmm. Mechanical sounding monsters, branded sharks... that's one heck of a "security system."

By the way, if you downloaded our "Lost" podcast for "Adrift" yesterday, grab the fixed file I posted late last night. The audio in the original recording was really, really faint! Please do e-mail or call in your comments... I'd hate for our "feedback" segment to be empty!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Screencaps are circulating that show the "DHARMA" company logo on the side of the shark. Hmm. Mechanical sounding monsters, branded sharks... that's one heck of a "security system."
      No. The shark had a Dharma brand? Are you serious? OK, now I gotta go to my tape and re-watch that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        No. The shark had a Dharma brand? Are you serious? OK, now I gotta go to my tape and re-watch that scene.
        Yep. Here's a discussion of it on a "Lost" message board, complete with images. I think it came through a lot clearer for folks watching in HDTV than for folks like me with ol' fashioned blurry CRTs!

Comment

I re-watched the tape and sure enough I saw the label on the big fish. Also noticed that the food containers in the pantry had the logo too.

By the way where is the place where Michael meets Susan and Walt?
          Last edited by helen; September 30, 2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            By the way where is the place where Michael meets Susan and Walt?
            Looked like Punchbowl, makai end (though just mauka of Restaurant Row), probably Diamond Head side. The scene looked funny to me, though. Like the extras weren't doing the typical extra things. But I figured it was probably filmed in a rush since "Adrift" was supposed to be a Sawyer flashback until recently.

Comment

I thought the area where Michael meets Walt (as a young Kid) looked awfully like the shady promenade area behind the Convention Center next to the Ala Wai Canal.
              Last edited by mel; September 30, 2005, 09:02 PM.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Some where in the 1st season it has been said 48 people survived the plane crash. Locke says it's now 43. Those who died so far are:

Arzt
                Boone
                Scott (I think that's the one who died after Ethan said one will die)
                Lady who drowned while Jack and Boone attempted to rescue her
                The Marshal

Am I missing anyone else? I was wondering if Ethan joined in just after the crash or sometime later on? And then there is the birth of Aaron.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  I thought the area where Michael meets Walt (as a young Kid) looked awfully like the shady promenade area behind the Convention Center next to the Ala Wai Canal.
                  Mel and I rarely agree on anything but I must say I think he is correct on this one. However, originally I had thought it was filmed in the walkway between the Zoo parking lot and entrance of the Zoo.

KalihiBoy

Comment

What was the name of the guy who got sucked into the jet engine on the first episode? Also, the pilot they found in the cockpit got butchered by the monster thing. Wasn't he alive for a few minutes after they found em? I guess I better go look at my first season DVD.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes- the pilot was alive for a few minutes. Some other random musings: The Technics turntable referenced a number of comments ago was a "semiautomatic" model that came in belt drive or direct drive--The computer looks like a Univac-they were big on tape drives in those days. Does anyone know anything about the labrador on the show? Wondering if he is a "professional" from Los Angeles or if he is a local. Also, did anyone notice the new model Maytag washer and dryer in the room? ABC News Radio will be having a weekly 60 second Lost update available to affiliates-each week will have a different Lost actor/actress giving the update.

Comment

Hmm. I think you're right. I thought I saw the courthouse in the background (the wall to their left), but the trees definitely didn't look right. I'm not familiar with that area of the Ala Wai, but I think it fits better.

And most definitely there were very contemporary items in Desmond's living area. The washer and drier looked like Maytag's "Neptune" line. And even the trash can he used - the stainless steel, pedal-opening one - appears to be a Simplehuman "Butterfly" trash can.

As for the original 48 and who counts in the "surviving survivors" census, the following comes from the great "Lost" material being compiled at the great Wikipedia. From the Characters of Lost page:
                        There were initially 48 survivors of the crash. According to Writers Assistant Matt Ragghianti, the initial 48 do not include the following people who died on the island:

• Turbine Man - Sucked into the still running jet engine in "Pilot".
                        • Co-Pilot - Killed by "monster" in the jungle in "Pilot".
                        • Ethan Rom - Shot to death by Charlie in "Homecoming"; he was apparently already on the island, since his name did not appear in the passenger manifest.
                        Those survivors who have died since the original count did so in this order:
                        1. Edward Mars (the Marshal) - Killed in "Tabula Rasa" by Jack, probably by asphyxiation, after Sawyer's failed "mercy killing" attempt, which was due to wounds from the plane crash.
                        2. Joanna - Drowned at the beginning of "White Rabbit".
                        3. Scott Jackson - Killed by Ethan Rom in "Homecoming".
                        4. Boone Carlyle - Died in "Do No Harm" from injuries incurred in "Deus Ex Machina".
                        5. Leslie Arzt - Was killed in an accidental explosion in "Exodus Part 2".
                        This brings the official number of survivors remaining to 44 when newborn Aaron Littleton is added to the list.

Comment

In the strictest sense of survival, I think anyone who survives a crash of anything, whether it is a car, truck, train or plane.... the person who survives the initial impact of the disaster is listed I presume as just that ... a survivor. Surely "Turbine Man" survived the impact and was walking around the beach area before his unfortunate demise at the suction of Rolls Royce or Pratt & Whitney.

Co-pilot dude did survive the plane crash and was alive after the castaways found him. He survived the crash only to be devoured by the monster thing.

What makes the Wikipedia the authority in who survived or not? I think it is a matter of definition here and in the strictest sense, those 2 people survived the plane crash, only to die later.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, the information in the Wikipedia is based on comments from the people who make the show, so there's some authority there. Obviously someone quite understandably asked someone, "When they say '48 survivors,' does that include..." Hence the attempt at an answer, satisfying or not.

I don't dispute that the pilot or engine dude survived the crash - of course they did. But basically, within the story, someone took a count of who was left (excluding engine dude, and obviously not aware of pilot), and got 48. With the count inserted into the show, narrative wise, those are the 48 we could have potentially met moving forward. And it's from those 48 that the second list of deaths (marshall, Joanna, Scott, etc.) is drawn.

Comment

In my book turbine man and pilot dude will always be counted as survivors. Someday if I ever come across someone who works on the show, I'll ask why they don't count.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Understanding, of course, that the answer could be, "Because we said so." I have a lot of empathy for the writers of any show that develops a fanatical following like "Lost." (Star Trek writers no doubt faced the same scrutiny.) Logical and continuity errors happen everywhere, but when you have folks like "Lost" fans, you either have to develop a credible explanation or put on your hard hat!

For example... much as I liked how Sawyer connected the dots about the Others and wanting "the child" or "a child" that turned out to be Walt and not Aaron, fans are already in frenzy over the fact that apparently Sawyer wasn't present at any time Danielle spoke about an effort to take a kid. Or that the language wasn't as vague as presented on the water. Or something like that.

The explanation might be as simple as, "He heard from someone who heard from someone who heard what Danielle said," but that's not going to stop hardcore Losties!

Heck, I've been following a most exhaustive debate about why the law office that Claire refused to give up her baby is the same one as the one where Michael battled over Walt. (Reused set, same law firm, or something else?) And whether Locke's removal of his shoes as he entered the hatch was simply because of the stealth element, or is there more to it. Whew!

Comment

Working...
                                X