This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" Season 2

Thanks for that, Mel. I wouldn't have picked up a Weekly, otherwise.

As the national debut of the second season premiere draws near, here are some of the latest Lost articles:

That last one, "Doom's Day," includes a couple of factoids I hadn't known before. If you're strictly anti-spoiler, even of the vague variety, I'd skip that one.
    Last edited by pzarquon; September 21, 2005, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Season 2 Episode 1 just finished.

Wow!

Comment

That damned song! I had to come Google it. "Make Your Own Kind of Music," sung by many, including Mama Cass Elliott and Barbra Streisand (I have a Streisand version). Written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil.

Just as many mysteries as before the show began. Good stuff, though.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Wow. Wow! I was dumbstruck when I saw it on a rainy evening with umbrellas in my way and people yammering all around me. Seeing it again in a dark living room just blew me away. For so many months, we've asked, "What's down that hatch?" Now we know... and yet, still don't know anything.

The scene where Sara wiggles her toes for Jack? Awesome. And it continues the foot imagery we initially associated with Locke.

Since tonight's viewing was the second viewing for my wife and I, we caught plenty of things we missed the first time.

The older man in the car that Sara hit? His name was Rutherford. Shannon's name is Rutherford. The time of that man's death in the O.R.? 8:15, of course.

Desmond? In the opening sequence, I noticed he was in a bunk bed (i.e. implies more than one inhabitant). Also, he pulls on a uniform when he goes into "battle mode." The latter fact seems especially significant when you consider that the "QUARANTINE" on the hatch was apparently on the inside. Hmm!

Another interesting item in retrospect... seeing Jack's response to Desmond -- the incredulous, "You?" It was very reminiscent of the scene we saw in the preceding Season 1 clip show, when Danielle steps out of the shadows the first time we see her and Sayid also says, in a very similar way, "You?" On its own and at the time it seems like he was saying, "You, the woman in the transmission." But then again, only Shannon really heard what her voice sounded like. Maybe... heh. Just a random thought, though.

So, yes, one of two Big Mysteries covered (the hatch), which just means more questions, and the other (what happened to the raft) apparently saved for Episode 2.

The buzz out there is that Episode 3 is where a big payoff comes. I can't wait!

Comment

first viewing for me...

Comment

The surprising part is Hurley's story about the numbers and the fate of a certain chicken take out place.

Comment

Another aspect of the 4-8-15-16-23-42 numbers. Spoiler space for just in case.

At the begining of the episode when the person in the bunker/hatch goes thru his wake up routine, he takes an injection. The bottle he takes is labeled:

CR 4-81516-23 42
                For Injection
                some other characters that I can't make out

Rx-1

Comment

OK... wow, yes we're filled with spoilers here. I hope everyone watched the program TONIGHT and not saved it for tomorrow or the weekend. Otherwise my advice is to avoid this thread until you watch the program.

Overall I liked tonight's season opener... great song ("Make Your Own Kind of Music" by Mama Cass is available on the compilation CD "The Best Of The Mamas & The Papas: 20th Century Masters")....

Of course the episode leaves you with more questions.... looks like an interesting year for "Lost".....
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Sorry about that, Mel. I forgot what spoiler threshold you preferred. I know with stuff like American Idol, the concern was with information leaking from the East Coast well before we saw it here. I thought previously with Lost, we could chat up the episode as soon as it aired here (and we did!) -- though perhaps we were usually more vague.

Spoilers for movies are important 'cause we don't all see 'em at the same time. VCRs and PVRs make this an issue for TV, I guess, but... I would think, just like sports scores, if you don't want to know, you'll avoid conversations about it until you've watched the game or popped in the tape (or hit play on your PVR, or...). Besides, Lost, like American Idol, is practically "event television." It's more likely than not that people are watching together. Just separated by time zones!

Good catch, Helen, on the numbers. Now that appearance opens up a whole lot of possibilities of their underlying significance (given where Hurley first encountered them).

As for the fate of the chicken place? Whee! Can't wait to see Kevin Blank's magic for that scene. Or, I wonder, if it'll be handled by the local firm brought on this year for effects?

Other thoughts...

Notice the 108 folded into the grafitti on the wall in the chamber? (Of course, 108 is the sum of 4-8-15-16-23-42...)

Wonder what the significance of the powerful magnet will be?

What was Walt whispering to Shannon?

Comment

Sorry about that, Mel. I forgot what spoiler threshold you preferred. I know with stuff like American Idol, the concern was with information leaking from the East Coast well before we saw it here. I thought previously with Lost, we could chat up the episode as soon as it aired here (and we did!) -- though perhaps we were usually more vague.
                      Perhaps we might as well just let the spoilers go and people who haven't watched the show on air date are at risk of being spoiled if they taped it for later.

I'm certainly not going to hold a club over people's head on this.

The easiest thing for me to do is avoid the thread (and even your podcast) if I tape a program for viewing later. Most of the time, I just watch it when it airs.... of course now that you are talking about numbers and magnets here, I sometimes wish I did tape the episode so I could watch it again....

Which of course like all other episodes in this series, leaves the viewers with even more questions.

I have to say, I like all the retro looking first generation 1970s like electronics gear that guy had down there. What kind of computer was that? And where does this guy get power from??????

I was not suprised this new character would be the person in the hole after the "chance" meeting in the "stadium" (aka the rust palace for us locals) between him and Jack. Must be fun living in a hole listening to golden oldies every night.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I definitely think care was made to ensure nothing in that chamber existed prior to a certain date. I didn't recognize the terminal, but it's certainly pre DOS!

Recall that Desmond said in the earlier encounter that he "almost" was a doctor. And that he was going on a race around the world. Did he end up as some kind of monitoring team for a remote experiment gone bad ("QUARANTINE")? How active is the overall system, since he apparently still had the state of mind to pull on a uniform? Doesn't seem like he was abandoned or without contact for years or anything. He still used the terminal... perhaps checking in with someone first thing in the morning?

But, if indeed the facility was to monitor things on the island, how could he have been surprised that the survivors wanted to get into the hatch? After weeks of excavating and the earlier failed break-in attempt?

Or, how's this? The episode begins with a lot of what appears to be natural light, streaming in through windows and grates. Yet when the blast comes, we know time-wise that it's late at night. Hmm!

Comment

That Desmond guy is kind of creepy. First encounter with Jack, and something good happens afterward.. Jack's patient seems to recover from traumatic surgery. Second encounter, initially seems hostile....

Perhaps the monster thing is a result of some kind of secret government experiment gone wild.... that Quarintine sign sure makes you think.

More questions... more anticipation for whatever happens next week. Certainly the series has started strong from where it left us.

I'm sure we'll be seeing the rest of the place down below since ABC probably spent a lot of money to build it up at the Diamond Head studio. I mean the cave at the old Xerox building is and has been used quite often throughout. You don't build a major set and then not use it for extended times.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, the Honolulu Weekly piece you mentioned - while altogether weak (I'll leave that for the flogging thread!) - did mention that the producers were specifically concerned about leaks due to the unusually aggressive and ambitious set construction going on for this season. They are building a lot, and from what I gather, it ain't more caves!

If it is revealed that Sayid's "You?" to Danielle is also connected to a pre-crash encounter, I'll start wondering if every character on the plane has a counterpart hidden on the island...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Doesn't seem like he was abandoned or without contact for years or anything. He still used the terminal... perhaps checking in with someone first thing in the morning?
                              Perhaps he was checking in here on HawaiiThreads?

Great episode last night!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The turntable looked like an old Panasonic Technics model.

I missed the magnet you guys are talking about, and I'm certainly not quick enough to do math sums in my head while there's all the action going on, so breaking down the "108" never occurred to me.
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X