what happened to ken wilson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened to ken wilson?

can anyone tell me why ken wilson is not on the channel 2 news any more? i felt he was one of their best reporters, in fact, he was my favorite. he was so positive and happy, i miss seeing his reports.

Re: what happened to ken wilson?

Another Blangiardi casualty.

Comment

just noticed this old thread and i was wondering the same thing.
      ken wilson came to khon after he was let go by the st louis blues of the national hockey league. he had been play by play man for many years.
      he seemed to do a good job as a news reporter, making the switch from hockey play by play, then about six months after he joined khon, he disappeared.
      i checked web sites for most nhl teams to see if he got back into play by play, but did not see anything. does anyone know if he is still in honolulu? maybe out of the tv business?

Comment

Hockey,...what's that?
        Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

When I noticed Ken wasn't reporting any longer, 2 things came to my mind:

1. He bought an interest in the St Louis Blues hockey team which was being sold or,
          2. He was going to be the play-by-play man for OC16 IF Oceanic Cable had won the UH football broadcast contract, which eventually was won by K-FVE.

Now, neither of above is grounded in fact, not even rumours, but it's what came to my mind. I hope he is healthy. I remember Ken doing the Hawaii Islanders baseball play-calling along with Al Michaels, etc., and it was a magical time in my life. He used to do the post game interviews and we used to go down on the field and watch. He came across as very classy and grounded. I was a teenager then, very impressionable, and believe me he made an impression on me.

Comment

Ken Wilson has the look, the sound, and the knack for play-by-play. I have to disagree he was KHON’s best reporter, though. Being “friendly” and “up-beat” is manini compared to one’s ability to weave the news and events of the day into a good story. That takes talent and experience - two things Ken didn’t appear to have too much of outside the sports arena. At least he has a journalism degree, unlike some of the “others” in... (we won’t finish this sentence in order to be friendly and upbeat)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Everyone has their own opinion. To me the best reporter at channel 2 now is Leslie Wilcox. It's beyond me how or why Ron Mizutani is still at the station. I have a hard time understanding him because of the way he swallows his words at the end, and I don't really learn anything from his reports. I guess it's because he backed up Joe Moore in the case against the woman reporter (whose name I've since forgotten).

Comment

Originally posted by wifeofchrees
                Everyone has their own opinion. To me the best reporter at channel 2 now is Leslie Wilcox. It's beyond me how or why Ron Mizutani is still at the station. I have a hard time understanding him because of the way he swallows his words at the end, and I don't really learn anything from his reports. I guess it's because he backed up Joe Moore in the case against the woman reporter (whose name I've since forgotten).

Mary Zanakis
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

erika engle "the buzz" column answered the question of ken wilson yesterday. the former khon2 reporter has a company called ken wilson sports enterprises and he and ms. wilson have opened a pizza restaurant in kailua. i know he had a long career in sportscasting but his return to khon as a news reporter was short lived. could it be that mr blangiardi was too difficult to work for?

Comment

As a big St Louis Blues fan and avid fan of Wilson, I recently googled him and found this site. A big thanks to the person who posted the most recent piece of info on him - I'll be sure to pass that along.

Wilson was actually the play by play announcer for the Blues for 20 years. Years before the lockout became apparent, he bought a place out in Hawaii, anticipating that he would be jobless and that he would enjoy himself in Hawaii. The lockout, of course, did happen, but Wilson was let go shortly after the Blues finished their 2003-2004 season. The reasons weren't officialy released, but rumors flourished that the Blues wanted to let Wilson go in favor of the recently hired John Kelly, whose father broadcasted Blues hockey for 21 years, one more than Wilson. I still remember seeing the front page of the St. Louis Post Dispatch right after he was let go -- it showed him in tears while being interviewed by a local radio station. Fans like myself were outraged at the time -- his easy to follow and enjoyable style, featured by his famous "OHHHHHH BABY" call, endeared him to almost all Blues fans, even though he was overshadowed during most of his time by the late Jack Buck of St Louis Cardinals fame. Now a days us Blues fans have a horrible team to watch, and without Wilson, there are very few resemblances left of what was a very good team just a few years ago. From what I've read here, you guys out in Hawaii had yourselves a great TV reporter for a short time, and now have a truly great guy as a businessman in your community.

Again, thanks for posting that latest info --- I truly hope that he does well.

Comment

Originally posted by tvnewshound
                      erika engle "the buzz" column answered the question of ken wilson yesterday. the former khon2 reporter has a company called ken wilson sports enterprises and he and ms. wilson have opened a pizza restaurant in kailua.
                      Here's the link to the article if anybody like read:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/13/business/engle.html
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

lefty gives some great history on ken wilson's long career as broadcaster for the st louis blues. over the years i had the pleasure to hear ken call games for the blues and as a bruins fan (when they and the NHL were worth following) i had the pleasure to meet him. as you would expect, he was a real gentleman and a pro.
                        its nice to see that he and his wife have opened a business here in hawaii, i for one will support it whenever i have an opportunity. its funny the fact that he was nice to me when i met him many years ago makes me want to support his business venture now that i am living in our great state and have retired from a successful career.
                        the moral to the story is, "always take the time to be nice to people, it will come back to you tenfold"

Comment

I could give a tinker's damn about hockey, but his missus makes great pizza

Comment

Mama's Island Pizza... in Kailua, next to Foodland (108 Hekili St.), where Dunkin' Donuts used to be? I'll have to put it on my list. Hey, if I drove all the way over there to eat at Boston's when they opened their first location in 1994, I definitely should try Marlene's pies, too.

Any other reviews? Kalua pig pizza, East Coast-grade buffalo wings? Sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Mama's Island Pizza... in Kailua, next to Foodland (108 Hekili St.), where Dunkin' Donuts used to be? I'll have to put it on my list. Hey, if I drove all the way over there to eat at Boston's when they opened their first location in 1994, I definitely should try Marlene's pies, too.

Any other reviews? Kalua pig pizza, East Coast-grade buffalo wings? Sounds promising.
                              Here you go! Mama's Review - I would mention that I'm normally a diehard NY-style pizza fan with the thin crust and while I still prefer that style, I was won over by the robust dough flavor.

Comment

Working...
                              X