X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Originally posted by kimo55
    I have met too many of them.
    Maybe you have been too many of them. But I don't think you should generalize that limited experience to the rest of the mainland. It's like someone from Hawaii (or Idaho, or Michigan, or Manila, or London) going to, say, Narita, Japan, and then going back home and telling everyone, "Everyone in Asia is like this ..."

That's one of my biggest gripes about people in Hawaii and their prejudices about other Americans. Maybe I should post this in the "what pisses you off" thread. But ... OK, anyway, people who generalize about the mainland, when they've experienced maybe .001 percent of it. "I went to Las Vegas, so now I know what everyone in the mainland is like." Not even close, honey. Not even close.

I'll probably expand on these thoughts later in another thread. It's too late and I'm too tired right now to articulate my thoughts properly. Anyway, thanks for listening this far.

aloha,
    MadAzza

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      ho man I just saw the hauoli termite tv spot.
      that is like a mainland cheap thoughtless commercial. Like a very bad hawaiian theme party in california fulla insulting callous drunks you really feel like leaving quickly.
      So disrespectful. this is very much an insult.
      I am amazed they did this.
      Kimo...you and I have crossed cyber paths in various forums over the past decade. Not only am I aware of your sensitivity to and for the local culture, I respect and applaud you for it.

That said...and with all due respect...this spot is nothing but a parody...a silly, low budget parody. I don't believe for a minute that it's intentionally disrespectful. Da hackles can be well used in real issues, if ya know what I mean!

And, no, I had nothing to do with that spot. It appears way too low budget to be able to afford a casting director!

True story...
      Several years ago I was hired to cast a national commercial that was using 'Hawaiian' as a theme; a backdrop, if you will. It was set in a tiki style bar! I was horrified when I read the script. It wasn't a parody. It was a Madison Ave. copywriter's interpretation of 'Hawaiian' right down to restless 'natives' speaking wampum style pidgin. It portrayed 'Hawaiian' in a very negative light. Something told me the NY copywriter was clueless rather than intentionally disrespectful.

Anyway, for the first (and the last) time, I received a script I couldn't live with...but, what to do? Quit or confront? That was the question! So I did what all little girls do when they have a problem. I called my Da-Da...who was a retired commercial director! Knowing industry protocol he told me to stay out of it...that it was definitely not something a casting director gets involved in. I understood that but, damn, that script absolutely grated on me.

The naughty little girl in me didn't mind my Da-Da! I took 3 huge, deep breaths and called the NY producer and gently pleaded my 'case' and my solution (bowing out of the job). He asked me to wait for 24 hours. I agreed. The next day I had a new script; one I could live with.

I still can't believe I did what I did...but I'm glad I did!

I now return you to your regular programming!

Comment

Let's try and keep this thread to "local TV ads," of the "thumbs down" variety, of course. We've had dozens of other threads in more appropriate fora to discuss disparities between Mainland and local impressions of Hawaii, what's wrong with people these days, ad nauseum.

In fact, why wait? Here you go. Have at it.

Still, though... thanks for the story, TutuSue. I even think I remember the commercial. It still raised a few eyebrows, so I can't imagine how bad the original was.
        Last edited by pzarquon; September 21, 2005, 06:32 PM. Reason: Doing rather than telling!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Let's try and keep this thread to "local TV ads," of the "thumbs down" variety, of course. We've had dozens of other threads in more appropriate fora to discuss disparities between Mainland and local impressions of Hawaii, what's wrong with people these days, ad nauseum.

In fact, why wait? Here you go. Have at it.

Still, though... thanks for the story, TutuSue. I even think I remember the commercial. It still raised a few eyebrows, so I can't imagine how bad the original was.
          (hangs head in shame... )

The American Asylum? Wow! Woulda never occurred to me to post there. Guess I'm still trying to find my way around! I'm not known as the Untechie Tutu for nuttin'! But for you, Ryan...ANYTHING!!!

Comment

awful real estate ads - or "whose yer Real-uh-tor?"

Time to resurrect 'awful local commercial' thread. if we haven't lately...

"Primary Properties" real estate spot just aired; Voiceover states:
            "They literally bent over backwards to help us get what we wanted"

ok.
            I wanna know exactly who these contortionists are, and what exactly they did.
            Cuz;
            "...they literally bent over backwards" means more than one person contorted their body into an unnatural pose.

but why would they?

Is the competition so extreme among real estate agents, they are now required to perform circus acts to secure and retain clients?
            Hmmmmm?
            Last edited by kimo55; December 26, 2005, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I've just added another local ad to my "least favorite" list, and it's actually rocketed almost all the way to the top (bottom?) of the list: It's for Hawaiian Tel Federal Credit Union, features Augie T., and perhaps the most annoying, grating, sorry attempt at something resembling rap/hip-hop music I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Not since Tanya of Sleepland USA has an ad earned the automatic "change the channel" reflex faster.

Comment

I've just added another local ad to my "least favorite" list, and it's actually rocketed almost all the way to the top (bottom?) of the list: It's for Hawaiian Tel Federal Credit Union, features Augie T., and perhaps the most annoying, grating, sorry attempt at something resembling rap/hip-hop music I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Not since Tanya of Sleepland USA has an ad earned the automatic "change the channel" reflex faster.
                With that kind of a review I'll be sure to watch for the HTFCU spot!

Since I'm acquainted with Augie...and Tania...I will refrain from commenting either way; instead choosing to remain professionally neutral!

Didya know that Tania has been Sleepland's spokeslady for about 10 years now? There's obviously strong product identification and enough sales to keep renewing her contract.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Tania's voice, which is why I don't like her ads.

However, from a marketing standpoint, I agree completely. She's practically the Sleepland brand. The strength of her familiarity has even gotten her profiled in marketing publications outside Hawaii, I think, and I've read short interviews (like this one in the Advertiser) which, of course, confirm she's a nice person as well as a singular spokeswoman.

I'm sure some people love Tania. And some people like Augie, too. But the combination of Augie (and 'frenz') and ear-assaulting rap-with-a-C makes me wonder if that HiTel FCU ad would make a positive impression on anyone. If you're not into the music style, you're going to hate it. And if you are, I think you'd still be pretty annoyed. It comes across as a parody (and maybe it is), and a bad one at that.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Tania's voice, which is why I don't like her ads.
                    I've complained here numerous times about the 'screechy' quality of her voice on those ads, but I do have to say that in the past few months it's been much better. She's using a lower register and also is not over-inflecting. Apparently someone finally got through to her on the problem, thank goodness!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]And some people like Augie, too. But the combination of Augie (and 'frenz') and ear-assaulting rap-with-a-C makes me wonder if that HiTel FCU ad would make a positive impression on anyone. If you're not into the music style, you're going to hate it. And if you are, I think you'd still be pretty annoyed. It comes across as a parody (and maybe it is), and a bad one at that.
                      I still haven't seen the spot but I'll venture a guess that a coupla things are happening here. One: local folks like Augie so one goal might be to catch people's attention with him. The other seems to be that the advertiser might be aiming to bring in new customers within a younger demographic. As I mentioned...just a guess as I didn't work on that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        The other seems to be that the advertiser might be aiming to bring in new customers within a younger demographic.
                        Oh, I think it's obvious what they're trying to do. My point is, I think they're failing miserably. Taking that tack in an ad for a bank is like a teenager's grandpa trying to get the kid to listen by using the words "yo" and "dawg." It makes the teen roll his eyes and walk away, and it makes the grandpa's peers feel more embarassed for him than anything.

Comment

I saw a TV ad on KIKU the other day for a plastic surgery clinic. They claimed that getting your eyelids done would not only make you look younger, but that it would help you see better and improve your driving safety. Whaaaat?

Comment

Oh, I think it's obvious what they're trying to do. My point is, I think they're failing miserably. Taking that tack in an ad for a bank is like a teenager's grandpa trying to get the kid to listen by using the words "yo" and "dawg." It makes the teen roll his eyes and walk away, and it makes the grandpa's peers feel more embarassed for him than anything.
                            Bwaha! Great analogy! Time will tell whether or not it fails. Advertising is always a crap shoot! BTW, my dad had an innate ability to get away with what you describe above, even into his 80s! How, I'll never know. But, he did!

Comment

I have no ax to grind against Augie or Lanai -- in fact I think it's great that they're the regular spokesguys for Hawn Tel FCU. I'm sure it's nice to make the extra kala!

Having said that, my 16-year-old daughter HATES the spot, describing it as stupid and lame ... for exactly the reasoning PZ stated. Trying too hard to be cool, etc.
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I DO NOT want to get in trouble with the law for this..... but here goes.

The ad currently on air detailing what happens when drivers don't pay attention to pedestrians in crosswalks and the consequences.....featuring what I'd safely venture to guess is a real HPD officer. I hate stereotypes (like which private schools produce a good number of officers) and racial jokes, so I'll let you guys figure those things out, because couple things came to my mind immediately, but I'll just mention I enjoyed his Larry Price-like delivery.

My favorite pronunciation: Dee-POT-ment of Transportation. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X