Cable vs. Satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable vs. Satellite

What do you guys think? Would you have Oceanic Time Warner Cable or Dish Network? Why?

Re: Cable vs. Satellite

Originally posted by bcr1652
    What do you guys think? Would you have Oceanic Time Warner Cable or Dish Network? Why?
    My impression is that Oceanic has the "interactivity" advantage. Their cable not only receives but can send. DVR and pausing movies and all that. Can Dish Network do that?
    Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick
      My impression is that Oceanic has the "interactivity" advantage. Their cable not only receives but can send. DVR and pausing movies and all that. Can Dish Network do that?
      Not sure that Dish Network can do that, but the Oceanic DVR leaves a lot to be desired. If DirectTV were available here, and it might be, then getting a DirectTiVo with your dish would definitely be worth more than Oceanic (and that's if you don't watch any of the boutique local channels).
      Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
      Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
      WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
      Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

Hmm. You know, I would've thought that Oceanic did have the upper hand in the interactive department, since their digital boxes can send data back to Oceanic as well as receive it (i.e. play along with the Game Show Network, order pizza, etc.).

But apparently the Dish Nework does have an interactive offering (here's an old press release about it).

And TiVo is definitely making strides toward greater interactivity, with Internet capability now built in (they used to charge extra for it, and yes, I was one of the early adopters who paid) - everything from music files to movie clips can now reach my TV via the net rather than any cable company. Folks are also curious about their TiVo To Go plan, which isn't interactivity, but certainly expands what a home media device can do...

DirecTV still isn't available here? Drat. Their (now sunsetted) partnership with TiVo was a big plus.

Hmm... yet, entering a Hawaii ZIP code at their website nets you a special "Aloha!" page with a toll free number: 1-877-897-8131. Not quite a flat "No," right? And wait a minute... they have Hawaii Programming Packages?
        Last edited by pzarquon; July 12, 2004, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Dish Network is very similar to Oceanic's Digital service and yes they do offer DVR functions as well as On-Demand PPV.

Although Dish Network offers over 125 digital channels, quite a few of them are the same programming but on a higher channel. And like Oceanic's Digital service, you need a digital box for every tv set you want to access digital on. And like Oceanic's digital service, Dish Network does offer interactive menus but you need to hook up your satellite box to your phone line for the uplink.

One thing good about Dish Network's satellite box is that it offers an RF remote control extender so you can literally change channels from another room. It also offers a service similar to Oceanic's Music Choice where channels are designated for different music styles.

The downside to Dish Network is that when the rain hits really hard, you get a breakup of the signal and at times the satellite box has to search for the satellite signal again. You also can't get OC16!

Having used both services, I'd prefer Cable over Satellite anyday simply because of the simplicity of hook up to digital services and of course Road Runner.

Dish Network advertises high-speed internet access thru their satellite downlink but to uplink at high speed you need a phone DSL hookup thru Earthlink otherwise you have to use Earthlink's standard dial-up service. Now here's the stupid part about Dish Network's high speed internet set up. If you have to use Earthlink DSL for the uplink, why not use Earthlink DSL for the downlink as well and say screw Dish Network!

Direct TV offers a stand alone high speed internet access but you have to buy the satellite uplink equipment from DirectWay at a cost approaching $1000.

Yep I prefer Cable anyday. Oceanic said they'd be happy to extend their cable to my home from the nearest residential drop two miles away if I paid the $14,000 per mile cost . So it's Dish Network for now.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As I remember my research, that Hawaii programming that Dish offers does not include local broadcast channels. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that's my memory. That knocked them out of any consideration by me.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              As I remember my research, that Hawaii programming that Dish offers does not include local broadcast channels. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that's my memory. That knocked them out of any consideration by me.

Dish Network does in fact offer local broadcast stations from Honolulu. What Dish doesn't offer is local content that is on Oceanic, ie. OC16, Ch.78 Hawaii or the Olelo channels.

Directv is also available here, however a 39" dish is smallest dish that they recommend for thier core programming (101w) and if you want HDTV or ethnic programming you need 3 dishes. No Honolulu broadcast stations, distant networks(like LA stations) or Starz, but everything else is available including NFL Sunday Ticket.

Oops, almost forgot. I have Dish and have had it since '98. Mainly due to the fact that I'm a Sports Nut. I also have HDTV, Dish carries both TNT-HD and ESPN-HD, Oceanic doesn't.
              Last edited by Ninja; July 12, 2004, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I have no desire to switch out of Oceanic cable however since I live in a high rise building I take it the dish needs to be outdoors to work? Or can it be inside the apartment?

Comment

For most condos and probably planned communities, the only option for residents is usually cable. These kinds of places do not like having each resident setting up dishes on their rooftops or yards.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes Dish Network does offer local channels finally including KHON. Sports is another with tons of ESPN and MLB Extra Inning channels.

Satellite receivers need a clear view of the southern sky so unless your balcony or open window faces the south and at a low angle don't consider it for apartments or buildings.

I guess the price at $29.95 per month including four satellite digital boxes is a better deal than Oceanic's. One problem is that the satellite box(s) that I have output to either RF, standard av or S-video outputs no digital or optical outs, I'm sure a digital out box is available since they do offer HDTV off the satellite. Funny though on the front panel "MPEG 2" is printed on the lower right hand corner. This is the Dish Network's DP-301 box with smartcard.

Comment

Right. I've seen maybe one or two small dishes on high-rise balconies, but at the sizes you're talking about (particularly for DirecTV), it's not going to fly.

Back when we toyed with the idea of using GTE Americast (whatever happened to them?), we were told that for service in an apartment, they'd want us to make arrangements with the building owner to put a receiver on the roof. Of course, the only way that would make sense is if there were more than a few subscribers in the building. Suffice it to say, we didn't go for it either.

Comment

GTE Americast...I remember when my neighbor on 18th Avenue had one installed on her roof. It was pointed at Kokohead but the coconut trees in the Waialae Elementary School's parking lot disrupted her signal everytime a big wind swayed the fronds thru her yagi antenna's line of sight.

My dish is about 27-28 inches across and yeah you'll probably need a big window opening to get that dish to "see" the satellite. For all that its worth, better to get cable.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Oceanic said they'd be happy to extend their cable to my home from the nearest residential drop two miles away if I paid the $14,000 per mile cost . So it's Dish Network for now.
                          Craig, I'll give you a bid of $12,500 for the entire two mile installation. I'm pretty sure I can get three miles of coaxial cable from Wacky Willy's for five bucks.
                          Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
                          Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
                          WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
                          Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

Originally posted by talkstinkDotCom
                            Craig, I'll give you a bid of $12,500 for the entire two mile installation. I'm pretty sure I can get three miles of coaxial cable from Wacky Willy's for five bucks.

Where is Wacky Willy's now? Last time I went there for some empty pill bottles he had closed shop.

I'm just so glad there's a housing boom going on in these boonies where I live. Practically a new home coming up every week now. Used to be my closest neighbor was about three acre lots away, now I have neighbors coming up in the next lot! By the way all the lots here are 1-acre lots. My home requires a 30-foot setback from the roadways and a 15-foot setback from adjacent property lines. But with 40,000 sq feet to play with that's plenty of room for my 2500 sq foot 4bed/4-1/2 bath house. Problem is the yard...all that friggin weeding.

Comment

Any comments from "Satellite Customers" ONLY about how subscribing to satellite TV is a big advantage over Oceanic Time Warner?

Comment

Working...
                              X