Cable service glitch...of all times!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable service glitch...of all times!

I hope nobody has posted about this already (I checked and didn't see anything)...but will Oceanic Time Warner be rerunning last night's IDOL and LOST because of the glitches in the cable service? We here on the big island were throwing a major hissy fit when the cable service dropped around 45 minutes into IDOL, and crunching the first 10 minutes of LOST.

Anybody know?

DC

Re: Cable service glitch...of all times!

My parents called from Maui for emergency recording services from us. Their cable went out too. You can see all of LOST for free online by going to www.ABC.com. You'll need a broadband connection. Aloha!
    Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Its very likely they won't re-run it. You can always call them up at 643-2337
      and ask/complain about the outage. It seems it was effecting Road Runner
      service also.. As someone I know was having horrible d/l speeds yesterday.
      I checked the CATV status page and they were having a lot of problems
      on Maui and Big Island.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/cablestatus/#Current
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Mahalo!!! I'll check it out online (LOST). Appreciate it! I'm not too concerned about seeing IDOL since we basically know that Taylor wins. But I gotta fill in the blanks with last nights LOST..

Thanks again..

Comment

I just found this Star-Bulletin article about the problem:

"As many as 95,000 cable TV subscribers on three islands lost 24-minute chunks of the much-hyped, long-awaited season finales of “American Idol” on KHON-TV and “Lost” on KITV last night, the final night of the May 2006 Nielsen ratings survey, or sweeps.
          "An uninterruptible power supply unit in Kalama Valley connected to undersea cables serving Maui and the Big Island failed last night, according to Norman Santos, vice president of operations for Oceanic Time Warner Cable
          ."

I particularly like the sentence that says it was "an uninterruptible power supply unit".
          Nothing like a bad case of Lostus Interruptus to ruin a good night of TV!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4487

As many as 95,000 cable TV subscribers on three islands lost 24-minute chunks of the much-hyped, long-awaited season finales of “American Idol” on KHON-TV and “Lost” on KITV last night, the final night of the May 2006 Nielsen ratings survey, or sweeps.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Internati...1/da010104.doc

If you are curious how did Oceanic Time warner get fiber-optic links
              to the neighbor islands, the above link explains how. Back in 2001
              when GST Telcom was being auctioned off, Time Warner Telcom
              acquired 12 of the 24 fiber pairs that connected Oahu to Kauai,
              Maui and the Big Island. The other 12 fiber pairs are owned by Pacific
              LightNet Inc (the company that was formed with GST's Hawaii assets).
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I don't think Oceanic could re-run it even if they wanted to. ABC and FOX own the content. For Idol, all you really needed was a name. And yeah, for LOST, the free online streaming is pretty darn slick.

Comment

Howdy folks ...

Thanks for posting the link to our breaking news story!

If you do take a moment or two to read it, you'll see that KITV is unlikely to re-air Lost (esp. given the Web streaming opp. at ABC) ...

... and that when last I spoke with Joe McNamara of KHON, he was awaiting permission from FOX to re-run it for the viewers who missed it, via an arrangement with Oceanic.

Specifics of what exactly that means, will be announced, I'm sure. I just had major time/space constraints this morning, in getting the story I DID get, out there.
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Happy Dish Network Customer Here

Idol was real good.....good to see Prince on stage...i was front row during Purple Rain at the Cow Palace in 1985...epic stuff.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thanks for your info, Erika. I wasn't impacted by the outage but I'd still like to know if there will be a rerun of AI. I'd like to tape it and give it to my daughter who got to attend the show. I know she'd like to relive the excitement!

So...if anyone gets notice of a rerun, please post it on HT. BIG thanks!

Comment

I was watching KHON 2 News. They announced Oceanic,Fox,and KHON
                        agreed to rebroacast AI on next Sunday @ 7PM-9PM on OC16
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Was that on the 5 p.m. broadcast? I caught Joe at 6 p.m., and he basically had to take back what was reported at 5 p.m., as the details are still up in the air. But he said they're definitely working on it.

He phrased it interestingly, too. More along the lines of 'making it available to those affected by the outage.' So I'm betting it won't be a full rebroadcast (i.e. late one night for everyone tuning in), but instead an on-demand thing for digital customers only, limited to that region only.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Was that on the 5 p.m. broadcast? I caught Joe at 6 p.m., and he basically had to take back what was reported at 5 p.m., as the details are still up in the air. But he said they're definitely working on it.

He phrased it interestingly, too. More along the lines of 'making it available to those affected by the outage.' So I'm betting it won't be a full rebroadcast (i.e. late one night for everyone tuning in), but instead an on-demand thing for digital customers only, limited to that region only.
                            Yup it was on KHON broadcast @ 5pm that date and time was announced.
                            I guess they jumped gun eh ? Anyway as far as I understand only folks with
                            digital cable will be able to see it if it is going to be on OC-16. As Oc-16 is
                            only available to digital customers.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                              [...]Anyway as far as I understand only folks with
                              digital cable will be able to see it if it is going to be on OC-16. As Oc-16 is
                              only available to digital customers.
                              OC16 is digital cable only now? When did that happen? I can't get that station at home in Makaha because my condo complex subscribes to a package that doesn't carry it. If I wanted to upgrade the package...and not necessarily to digital...I could get it for an extra fee. Or so I'm told...or was told awhile back. Maybe that's all changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X