Aloha, Paul Udell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha, Paul Udell

Few remember that Paul Udell and Barbara Tanabe co-anchored the KHON News before Joe Moore.

Udell is the one who created KHON's signature Shaka Signoff. A GM there wanted to get people on the street waving and show it at signoff. The camera people never got around to shooting it.

One day, Udell went out with a cameraman and big sign that said "give us a shaka." People did and it was instantly popular.

They use it almost every night, leaving people with a smile. But if the news is particularly bad that day, such as 9/11 or the Xerox shootings, they leave it off.

Comment

That's a great piece of trivia, Creative-1. Thanks for sharing. As a kid, I made it on the shaka sign-off twice in one year (can't remember why). I was inordinately happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        Sin:
        You got your video-audition ready??????
        woulda taken that road a while ago if i had wanted to. not. print good, tv bad.

Comment

I was just kiddin' around Sin.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

For years, every time I saw Paul Udell, I wondered why he seemed familiar to me from my previous life on the mainland. The resume explains it: he worked for WTTG, Channel 5, now the Fox station in Washington, D.C.

Comment

Paul rocked.

I saw him only a couple of times in 1996. I still have the tapes.

Some of the first editions of "Good Morning Hawaii"... with Paul, Kathy and Tiny Tadani!

Paul was so smooth, relaxed, easy-going and genuine on set.

You could tell he's a good guy!

Good luck!

Comment

Anyone know where Paul Udell is now?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Anyone know where Paul Udell is now?
                  I occasionally keep in touch with his son Joe who writes for the Hawaii Herald... as far as I know Paul is still in town..... I'd love to cover him for a features story sometime along. As far as newsmen and women in this town over the years he has one of the most impressive resumes ever....covering the major markets from coast to coast and in the middle (i.e. Chicago) too!

Comment

I still remember when Paul Udell anchored KITV News' 5 p.m. newscast in the late 1980s. Alongside Paul was Dan Cooke, who would do daily, humorous "Cooke's Hawaii" reports. That's back when Tina Shelton anchored KITV's 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. news. KITV was deep in third place... yet it was my favorite station.

Comment

Working...
                    X