Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha, Paul Udell

Excellent article by Erika in her "The Buzz" column today:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, Paul Udell has left the building. Twenty-two years after joining KITV as news director -- and serving as an anchor, reporter and mentor -- the seasoned broadcast journalist will not return to the station once his vacation is pau."

Full story at the link above.
    I always enjoyed Paul, and wish him all the best for the future.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Aloha, Paul Udell

What I enjoyed about Paul's reports was their "old school" feel. By that, I mean the style that his reports were done, and I appreciated KITV for letting Paul do his stories that way. His pieces definitely were not the usual cookie-cutter do it how the consultants say way. I recently enjoyed his live reports whenever our servicemen arrived back after being deployed.

Comment

Paul Udell....
      can't picture him.
      don't watch that much news to put a face to it immediately.
      wish we could have seen a pic of him in that column instead of all that double space...

Comment

You know, if I were a documentary film-maker who needed a narrator, and I knew Udell was available, I'd be on the phone right now.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Paul Udell.... can't picture him. don't watch that much news to put a face to it immediately.
          There are eight images viewable at this link, Kimo. Hope that helps ya.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

What tvguy and Linkmeister said. I should have known Paul had a print background. Doesn't sound like he's leaving journalism behind entirely, but will hopefully insist on and get a venue where he can do "the big stories... more significant, longer stuff."

As a fan of KITV and its investigative chops, I'm concerned that his sudden departure seems to be over his long-form story preferences not being in the cards...

Comment

Ryan - concern meaning ...? It’s well established that long-form journalism is frowned upon if not virtually banned by consultants in television news. You know that. About the only time we see this style surface is during the ratings periods. How Keahi Tucker of KGMB9 was able to convince management to approve a 6-minute story is astonishing. I believe that may be the first time this century that has occurred in Honolulu on any any local newscast.

Exposing Hawaii's Hideaways

That being said, I wish Paul good luck, and I know he’ll find a forum for his genre.
              Last edited by TuNnL; June 6, 2006, 03:52 PM. Reason: forgot to include link

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL How Keahi Tucker of KGMB9 was able to convince management to approve a 6-minute story is astonishing. I believe that may be the first time this century that has occurred in Honolulu on [I
                any[/I] any local newscast.
                Bob Loy used to do some long, epic pieces at KGMB in the mid-90s with his "Eye On Hawaii" stories. I didn't see Keahi's piece, but I think if the content is there and the story is compelling, why not? Better than to chop up a sweeps topic over 2-3 nights like they always do and try to suck you in with the next part the following day! I'd also rather see a story like that than a "copy" story of a traffic accident on the weekend which wil inevitably use the "speed and alcohol were/were not contributing factors in the crash" phrase somewhere.

Comment

I remember Paul at WLS-7 ABC/Chicago, circa 1981 and have him on tape doing a newsbreak then.

I didn't know he worked for KHON. When was this?

I hope he stays in Hawaii, and goes to work for another station so we can see him again.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Kalihiboy. Paul worked at KHON the 1st time Joe Moore was hired away from KGMB to be their sports anchor. After just a little while of doing the news, Paul just disappeared with no explanation from KHON as to why. Thats how Joe was given the anchor job. KHON took a chance on Joe and it has paid off bigtime for them ever since. Til this day, Paul has never revealed why or how he left KHON. Paul I believe was hired to take BJ Sams place when BJ left KHON and the rest as they say is history Aloha, BigD

Comment

Interesting reply Big D, thanks. Joe Moore has been gone from KGMB a long time because I was watching a newscast with Moore and Les Keiter from 25 years ago and Joe was already with the NBC affiliate, KHNL or is it KHON back then??

So I assume Paul was not at KHON very long then, moved back to the mainland, then came back here. Anyone know when Paul first started at KITV?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                        Bob Loy used to do some long, epic pieces at KGMB in the mid-90s ...
                        The key word being mid-90s. Like I said, Keahi is the first reporter this century to do it. Kind of an insult to veteran Paul Udell, and a tribute to youngster Keahi Tucker at the same time. Go figure.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

I recall Paul did a particularly good piece on japanese sword making...very memorable though he's done a lot of well written stories over the years.

In my opinion, as he got older, his live shots seemed to get TOO relaxed or maybe he just didn't care after all this time...sometimes he had this on-camera face which seemed to say, "Hi, I'm Paul Udell and I'm here in front of this minor event and damn it, I used to be news director. What the hell am I doing here?"

That wasn't meant to be an insult by the way, just my personal observation. Otherwise I hope he finds the venue he's looking for.

But here's a question for KITV...after all those years in the business, Paul probably wasn't cheap and his departure frees up a lot of payroll most likely. So will News 4 use it to hire another veteran or grab a less expensive rookie and pocket the money? Hmmm...

Comment

Sin:
                            You got your video-audition ready??????
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

KalihiBoy, KHON and KHNL switched with each other from NBC to Fox and vise versa. Now KHON went from NBC to Fox and KHNL went from Fox to NBC in the exchange. I believe it all happened in the mid 1990's. Aloha, BigD

Comment

Working...
                              X