KGMB9 dethrones KHON from #1 spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KGMB9 dethrones KHON from #1 spot

Well, I guess one of the few employees left at KHON will have to delete the “Hawai‘i’s Number One News” intro from the late show and weekends ...

© Honolulu Star-Bulletin - Wednesday, June 14, 2006

KGMB tops KHON at 10 p.m.

KHON dominates the 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. local news, but has been slipping at 10 p.m. for a few years

By Erika Engle

Hawaii's new 10 p.m. news leader is KGMB-TV, which topped KHON-TV in that time slot, according to the Nielsen ratings for May.

"I'm enormously proud of the men and women in the newsroom," said Rick Blangiardi, senior vice president and general manager of KGMB.

KGMB's news also won Saturdays and Sundays ...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: KGMB9 dethrones KHON from #1 spot

Did KHON recently get sold and go through a management shakeup? I believe so.

If that is the case, could you presume the new owners/managers are not as good as the old ones, if judging by these nielsen ratings?

If you are the new owner, how do you defend yourself logically in your own mind?

Idiots with money are still idiots.

"ey, if u so rich, why u no smot?"
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: KHON's GM; Incorrect Facts

From Erika's article in The Star Bulletin:

<<McNamara said he believes Honolulu may be the only market in the nation where the local news "beats the three major network news and entertainment (shows) in the morning.">>

Well, McNamara must be the only one who believes this.

In Los Angeles (Market #2):
      -KTLA-TV's (WB/CW) morning news has had a long history of besting the morning news programs on ABC, CBS, and NBC.

-And, KTTV-TV's (Fox 11) "Good Day L.A." has also acheived higher ratings than the network fare on KNBC, KCBS, and KABC.

AND: In San Francisco (Market #6-Was #5)
      -KTVU-TV's (Fox) morning news outperforms the network AM news programs.

AND: In Phoenix (Market #14)
      -KTVK (Independent) has a placed in the top spot in morning news, beating the network affiliates.

....And it's not just limited to these markets. Hey GM-Joe, are you spreading these errors to the advertising community? The fact that you can make such a misleading statement to the press is a terrible blunder. This proves you're not ready for a larger market such as Honolulu (#72)--You can't even get the facts straight on data that any mid-level programmer, broadcaster, or media buyer already knows: The ratings for morning news on Fox and Indy stations have been beating the nets in MANY major markets for at least the past five years. Perhaps you should move back to market more suited to your experience....Binghampton. (Market Size #156!)

P.S.: When you pack your bags, you can take Sandy and Lilly w/you.

Comment

Bring back Jade Moon!

On tonight's 6 p.m. newscast, Keahi Tucker, Jade Moon's wannabe replacement, referred to "Kapiolani Avenue" when describing the street where a man was run over by a rubbish truck.

Blech. Mainland.

Bring back Jade Moon!

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Give Keahi a break....he's a Kauai boy!!!

Yeah, I heard that boo-boo... so many others also make mistakes too, hey we're all humans...

Comment

Bring back Jade Moon!
            On tonight's 6 p.m. newscast, Keahi Tucker, Jade Moon's wannabe replacement, referred to "Kapiolani Avenue" when describing the street where a man was run over by a rubbish truck.
            Blech. Mainland.
            Bring back Jade Moon!
            Blaine

I too miss Jade Moon's professionalism, intelligence and beauty. Keahi was born and raised on Kaua'i and many local reporters have made similar mistakes with street names.
            I take issue with Blaine's "mainland" comment. It has that under current of discrimination toward "mainlanders." That "we versus you" attitude. Where's the melting pot aloha?

Comment

For a start, I was so shocked to hear KGMB is #1!

I remember the days, the years and years, that they were a distant 3rd!!!

I thought not much had changed since then.

About Jade: why did she leave the desk?

I always kinda liked her... she was pretty unique, if only for her name.

As I remember, she was one of Hawaii's more "central-casting" anchor-types. Not so witty or genuine, but I still liked her

Comment

Originally posted by fox1
                About Jade: why did she leave the desk?
                She left to spend time being with her family, especially with her son.

Comment

yup it finally happened.

I am a humble, down to earth low key person....and it always pained me to work alongside other reporters who seemed to look down on us because we were below them in the ratings.

Rather than get depressed though, I used this as fuel to do my darndest to outdo that reporter on every story.... better story-telling, better writing, better use of natural sound..etc...etc...

If KGMB ever dethrones KHON truly in all shows I hope its people NEVER become arrogant or high and mighty...always have the attitude of being an underdog and you will survive and maybe even thrive.

Comment

Working...
                  X