"I'm fed up with this crap!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "I'm fed up with this crap!"

And how much are they paying this “Ignite” system 1-man band operator, anyway? If they aren’t breaking union guidelines to throw money at this person, us viewers at home can expect more of the same ... because if I was being asked to roll the prompter, run audio, run tapes, run the pretty little graphics AND run the cameras SIMULTANEOUSLY, I think I would just up and quit just to laugh when they are forced to cancel the newscast. This person whoever he/she may be, is the poster child for the military’s new slogan, “The Power of One.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I heard $50,000/yr

Comment

This is off-topic as I missed the newscast but what is Joe saying as he comes back on air, something about Walmart wanting to build another store in "ka..."
        I didnt catch the rest as it was cutoff. I heard Walmart wants to build 7 additional stores on Oahu, two are already completed. You can move this topic to another thread on Walmart's greedy overexpansion if you wish.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
          because if I was being asked to roll the prompter, run audio, run tapes, run the pretty little graphics AND run the cameras SIMULTANEOUSLY,
          If I had to do that, then I'd die before I'd quit. Sure, the graphics and tapes are easy, but I think there's more than one camera.

I just hope the new owner will see this as a wake up call and do something before someone gets hurt.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

This is off-topic as I missed the newscast but what is Joe saying as he comes back on air, something about Walmart wanting to build another store in "ka..."
            Kapolei. Other coverage here. And yeah, Wal-Mart has been beaten to death in other threads.

Comment

there is no question that the new owners have made a mess of KHON and things will probably get worse before they get better but the fact is, Joe Moore is the highly paid face of the station and as such, no matter how bad things are, it is his job to show his support and to reassure viewers that the problems are temporary. if he wants to spout off, do it off the air. to act like he did on the air is the most unprofessional thing i have ever seen during a newscast anywhere!
              i think the new owners of KHON are disgraceful, but thats besides the point.
              joe should be taken off the air and suspended for a week without pay.
              no employer, not even Monticito, should put up with this kind of behavior.
              its time for joe moore to stop being such a Diva!!!

Comment

Yesterday's 5p news was fraught with glitches. It was clear that the glitches were catching Leslie off guard but she handled it with grace and dignity.

As the news of the glitches spreads I wonder how many new viewers KHON is getting just to see the mess ups?!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  As the news of the glitches spreads I wonder how many new viewers KHON is getting just to see the mess ups?!
                  In the long run, probably not nearly as many as they'll lose as the quality of their product drops. Train wrecks always draw a crowd... but not the weeks of clean-up that follow.

Comment

Originally posted by tvnewshound
                    joe should be taken off the air and suspended for a week without pay.
                    no employer, not even Monticito, should put up with this kind of behavior.
                    its time for joe moore to stop being such a Diva!!!
                    With all the problems Joe and the rest of the on air staff have to deal with, I'm actually feeling sorry for them (Including Joe). But to be able to recover after technical glitches has to be the sign of a professional.

I've had radio hosts literally "lose it" when the timing was off. They get tongue tied and I have to bail them out with a 60-second spot.

As for Joe, I think he should stay on the air with the glitches. It makes for interesting viewing.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Tuesday's Honolulu Advertiser ran a column by Lee Cataluna that really put things in perspective. Sorry I don't have the know how to post the column.

Comment

Turnabout fair play in tech chaos
                        In the last weeks, it's been like the early days of KHNL on KHON, with stories freezing up on-air, anchors getting flustered, and a pen or two getting thrown. The big difference is, in 2006, with TiVo and YouTube.com, the mistakes don't just disappear after the credits roll. They are captured and linked and passed around.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Kinda like the stuff we say here...our remarks come back to haunt us over and over again
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            In the long run, probably not nearly as many as they'll lose as the quality of their product drops. Train wrecks always draw a crowd... but not the weeks of clean-up that follow.
                            Great analogy, PZ! And, I loved Lee's article:
                            Topping your local news tonight, a case of delayed bachi.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ym65RjmEw

I think Lee may have viewed my clip...!!!

And by the way Lee if your reading this... I don't have TIVO... i use Oceanics DVR system...($10.00 more per month and well worth it)

Manoa

Comment

Pointing a camera at your TV set. How quaint! Even if you don't have a real DVR, at least output that signal to a real video capture card!

Frankly, typos in text cards are so common in local news, they're barely worthy of comment. Misspelled names abound -- not just interviewees, but place names, even reporters. Don't even get me started on closed captioning. Errors in live typing are understandable, but the stations that just CC the teleprompter text? I actually credit the anchors for usually stepping gracefully over some pretty horrid mistakes.

I'm pretty sure Lee is specifically referencing Joe's pencil-tossing outburst as linked earlier in this thread, which a friend of mine uploaded last week. So far, 6,000 views and at least one comment that sounds like it's from a fellow KHON employee.
                                Last edited by pzarquon; July 5, 2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X