Where in the World is Mary Zanakis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in the World is Mary Zanakis?

Jon Asato over at TalkStink.com finally let the cat out of the bag today in an item citing the disappearance of Mary Zanakis from KITV's news team page. (Here's an archive of the page from last year, as well as Zanakis' old biography page, which is now gone.)

Is she really gone? Is she actually going back to KHON? I figure even though you win the right to have your old job, it's a long road to wanting your old job...
    Last edited by pzarquon; July 23, 2004, 11:21 AM.

Re: Where in the World is Mary Zanakis?

I have to confess, I have never heard of Mary Zanakis.

Comment

Oh puh-leeze ... put enough make up on ANYONE who can read a prompter and let's have a TV "news" cast.

Zanakis, Wilcox or who ewa... who gives a rip? They are all preening prima donnas who need to get a real job.

I think Ala Moana fish market looking for somebody clean fish...

Now Bu'u Laia THAT's a real communicator !!
      Last edited by Krash Kolohe; July 23, 2004, 01:15 PM.
      "I was going call 911 ...but I neva know da numbah"

Comment

Albert, Zanakis' now-disappeared staff page gives a little of her background. She didn't go to J school but she definitely earned her chops in the TV news business. I'm not surprised you might not be familiar with her, of course, given your level of exposure to TV.

I'm definitely biased in favor of "print journalists" in terms of credibility and ability, but there are TV newsies who work hard and believe what they do. Definitely a reporter who goes into the field gets my vote over the teleprompter-reading, image-only anchors. I don't know Zanakis in person, but apart from the coworker grumbling that came out in her trial, my sense was that she was a decent television journalist.

Her case wasn't just about TV, either... employer shenanigans prompted by pregnancy and maternity leave is a serious issue.

I'm just curious if she left, if she was let go (and if so, if there'll be another lawsuit!), and what she's going to do next. Insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but if Emily Chang can have groupies (is there a different term for male groupies?), Zanakis is at least as worth of being tracked.

Comment

Mary Zanakis has quit the TV news business to open her own small business. A few details are in Erika Engle's Buzz column. You have to scroll down a little to get to them.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Once again, great catch, Erika. What an odd new chapter in the Zanakis story. Considering how badly things went for KHON, I hope KITV dotted all their Is and crossed all their Ts when letting her go.

Let go, quit, fired... in the end, I guess what matters is that she's got a plan. It looks like running a retail business on the Windward side runs in the family!

Comment

Working...
            X