Best overall reporter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best overall reporter?

I've got to get the gang ready and out the door this morning, but I'll respond later. Probably Palolo Joe, Craig, Dick and Maddie are snoozin' right now anyway, so they're not exactly pacing for my response.

And no, Auntie, no one expects you to write anything that isn't your style. You communicate with your heart. You are right, we all start from square one.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I'm up physically but not mentally. Waiting for that cup o Joe to brew.

I take it Maddie has to be up as well unless she's on vacation or something.

Anyway Lavagal I presume Maddie summed it up in her last post regarding b4ru statements that drew criticism from you and her. But I gotta say that in radio in Hawaii it is who you know that will determine getting in and moving up. I can't say how it is in the print media but you can work your butt off in radio and hardly move a notch. If it's not nepotism then it's hard work and being in the right place at the right time.

My first gig in Hawaii radio was when I just happened to be sitting in Kamasami Kong's office at KIKI and Noe Tanigawa came storming in all upset that everybody had a producer except her. Kong looked at me and well the rest is history so to speak.

And to make a correction...Maddie doesn't write editorials as she indicated...well we all know what she does
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wrote what I wrote in response to b4ru because I concluded that this person needed someone to say "SNAP OUT OF IT!" (Think Cher in 'Moonstruck.')
        I've been the second choice so many times when it came to journalism jobs in this town. If anything, I've proven I'm relentless when it comes to writing and my desire to write. If I cannot write for the big guys, shoots, am I not going to write? Maybe what I should have suggested is that this person use the experience to assess what they need to work on...including humility. Not everyone can work at the big outlets, but little outlets can use your work. It's a great place to learn and grow and build a reputation. No one is going to read this person's msg and feel they should rescue them and give them a job. Or at least I don't think so! I'll be back later. I do have a real boss, actually!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Or you can write here on HT and get an immediate response. But you are correct that there are a lot of venues to satisify a person's passion to write, and HT is definately one of them.

Comment

I wanted to say that I enjoyed the discussion that ensued while I was snoozing last night. Mahalos to those of you who stuck up for me. And I just know Palolo Joe thinks I'm the cat's pajamas no matter what.

As a journalist, I tend to go over my posts here to be sure I've not written your for you're, it's for its, too for to. I grab them back and make corrections as fast as I can. I always feel like my writing is being scrutinized and so I try to be careful.

If I did seem to be talking from a high horse, I didn't mean to. I know what it's like to be trashed and I know the disappointment in not getting a job that I was THISCLOSE to getting. I was hoping that I could get b4ru to get off the poor me wagon and to get going again. Maybe it was too Joisey of me, but that's me.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I no frum now on that my righting will be much scrootenized...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                Come on dick... you Know I is spelled eye!

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                  Professionally speaking that is

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                    I wanted to say that I enjoyed the discussion that ensued while I was snoozing last night. Mahalos to those of you who stuck up for me. And I just know Palolo Joe thinks I'm the cat's pajamas no matter what.
                    I think you know I wasn't taking a shot at you LG... just surprised at your reaction, that's all.

Comment

I'm good, Palolo Joe.

As for Dick: Just don't take any fuzzy pictures of balls and you'll be fine. Or is it don't take any pictures of fuzzy balls? Or is it don't write fuzzy cutlines? Or is it...?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

my posts here are invariably not properly punctuated, capitalized or even spelled...i find HT to be more of a conversation than a document, and as such i "write from the hip"...in my line of (day job) work, syntax, grammar, spelling and punctuation are of paramount importance to the product i produce at work, as lavagal knows quite well indeed...

i rarely get to write like i think, especially since they deep-sixed clubbed to death over there at the weekly...i'm not particularly diligent about my blog, and a lot of times prose morphs into lyrics...whatever works...i can use both...

to get back to the topic of this thread, i'll sumbit that the lack of quality newscasts in HI is absolutely abyssmal...each station does have a ringer or two, but they are continually upstaged by vacant anchors plagued with a woeful inability to cloak the fact that they are simply reading out loud...

for the record, i'm a big fan of lavagal and madazza...
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by b4ru
                          Haven't posted in awhile, as usual my opportunity to say there is no talent, not one single reporter worth noting on local TV. These reporters get paid nothing, so we get nothing in return, working in TV in this town is like a volunteer job, just a popularity contest, and this includes the anchors, just look at NEWS 8 , #4 practically since it's inception, crappy "reporters" , never make a bold move and clean house like they should. Hawaii media is full of nepotism too.
                          Well, I find it strange that News 8, "#4 practically since it's inception, crappy "reporters," won the first ever regional Emmy for news coverage in '96, which was at its inception, and a slew over other Emmy awards for reporting. Yes, many of the local station's reporters are young & inexperienced, but that's what a #72 DMA gets you. It's a proving ground to move on to a bigger market for many of them. Just a notch on the resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Amigo
                            Well, I find it strange that News 8, "#4 practically since it's inception, crappy "reporters," won the first ever regional Emmy for news coverage in '96, which was at its inception, and a slew over other Emmy awards for reporting. Yes, many of the local station's reporters are young & inexperienced, but that's what a #72 DMA gets you. It's a proving ground to move on to a bigger market for many of them. Just a notch on the resume.
                            agreed...there are a bunch of notable network faces that were whelped here in honolulu before they started running with the big dogs...
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Any reporter who has the guts to dig in and find information that the Public needs to know, no matter how grammar lacking his report is ~ is ok with me. As long as the information is Truthful and Correct.

Everyone starts as a Beginner. Everyone learns from Mistakes.
                              If only it was that simple, Aunty. Unfortunately, utilizing good grammar skills is a prerequisite in the world of journalism.

I can assure you: there are “non-professionals” out there who will yell at their newspaper, radio or television, write angry emails or even make angry phone calls (although these are usually schoolteachers) if a grammatical mistake is made — or even a word misspelled.

After I file this entry, an angry HT member will criticize this very post, saying I used a run-on sentence. Such is life.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Hmmmm...Maybe, Olelo should start a Local News Pilot entitled Pidgin News with Us Guys!

Opening - Eh, wuz up!!!!! Today wuz hot and humid. So hot, Da stuff at City Hall wen come out in da open.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X