This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Television News

A quick poll, and feedback thread. When it comes to local news, who do you watch? And why? More interestingly, perhaps, why don't you watch the other stations?
    KHON/FOX 2.
    28.57%
    KITV/ABC 4.
    42.86%
    KGMB/CBS 9.
    14.29%
    KHNL/NBC 8.
    7.14%
    I get my news elsewhere.
    0.00%
    I don't follow the news.
    7.14%

Re: Local Television News

I barely watch TV.

My news comes mainly from news web sites (the Honolulu Advertiser, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, MSNBC, Slate, the BBC, and SlashDot) and from listening to Hawaii Public Radio while commuting.

Having said that, if I am in front of the tube I tend to like either Joe Moore at KHON or Paula Akana at KITV. I like Diane Ako too, but I could do without KHNL/Fox's McNews slant.

Comment

In most cases I would be watching the 10pm KHNL news. Mainly because it's follows after the prime time shows that I watch.

Comment

I think KHNL benefits primarily from that prime-time lead in. (Remember KHNL's special time zone?) The quality of their reporting certainly isn't a priority.

Glen, my primary information sources almost mirror yours. Lately, though, I've been falling back on the aggregation talents of the Google News bot (which, thanks to some sharp programming, you can now browse visually).

But, I figure I still need to keep an ear to local news. I live here, after all, and I have such grand plans for HawaiiNews.com!

Comment

All of the local news programs are adequate. However if you are looking for indepth news coverage of local events and issues, there are other places to turn to such as the print media and various internet websites. For TV, if you miss the first news segment before the first break, you might as well not watch since most all of the important stuff shows up at the top. As you get deeper into the news half hour, you end up with the "feel good" feature stories, weather and sports... hard news is gone unless it is an unusually big news day with some kind of disaster or another making the headlines.

The bottom line here is that "if it bleeds, it leads." Don't miss it.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Two words. Liz Chun.

Comment

Working...
            X