• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Dicus bails

Hot news?

Howard Dicus leaving PBN for KGMB.

Re: Howard Dicus bails

Interesting. I was just visiting with him yesterday with one of my clients. I guess KGMB wants him for the morning news. The guy is a work horse. I wonder if he'll start wearing stage makeup. See, if this happens there goes his PBN HPR radio reports, his PBN KHON TV reports, his PBN Fridays on PBS...his classic music show (Perhaps not). He also took care of PBN's Web site. He's the every man who just rolled out of bed and made it all look so easy. Interesting.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I don't see why he can't freelance for PBN while working for KGMB. Lots of reporters freelance already.

Too bad for KHON's morning news though his segments seemed like such a natural fit for it.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I don't see why he can't freelance for PBN while working for KGMB. Lots of reporters freelance already.

Too bad for KHON's morning news though his segments seemed like such a natural fit for it.
        I wonder if he'll continue doing his PBN Friday show on PBS ? I always look forward to seeing his show every Friday.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I wouldn't say "bails," though I guess it depends on how PBN feels about Howard's departure. But frankly, the guy already does a million things, so it's nice to see him tackling something new while also making room elsewhere in his schedule for once!

KGMB is obviously serious about making its morning news debut a big one... and it may very well be, given its strength in evening news and the talent they're recruiting.

A little bird tells me that Howard is keeping his PBS Hawaii show for the time being, though of course it'll be renamed from "PBN Friday" to "PBS Friday." Guess the partnership was between PBS Hawaii and Howard, and not directly with PBN? Glad it isn't going to be KGMB Friday on KHET -- now that would be confusing!

Comment

So, based on a post from the other thread, where it says that Grace Lee comes back to KGMB to anchor, does that mean she will team up with Howard for the morning news? I wonder how that will go. And do you think he needs a co-anchor?

Comment

I don't think they have in mind to make HD the anchor for the morning news.

Comment

Re: Howard Dicus to KGMB

Erika Engle has the story here in today's Star-Bulletin.
                Ho`omaika`i, Howard! Best of luck to you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is what I like about Howard:
                  He is nontraditional on camera, but Blangiardi and News Director Chris Archer told him, 'don't stop being Howard,' Dicus said.

Comment

Whew... I misread the title. Thought the "I" in "BAILS" was another "L". And still I opened this thread. What does that say about me?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    This is what I like about Howard:
                    Yes, I like when TV folks don't look/sound/act like TV folks or radio people don't sound like traditional puker radio people. It's a refreshing change from the mundane.

Comment

I was wondering what all the brouhaha was all about in this thread since for the past 2 weeks while in Honokaa I was watching the KHON TV morning news and saw Howard's reports up to today. Normally in HNL I am usually listening to KHVH radio in the morning. Reception of that station out here is spotty at best.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                        Whew... I misread the title. Thought the "I" in "BAILS" was another "L". And still I opened this thread. What does that say about me?

Yes, I like when TV folks don't look/sound/act like TV folks or radio people don't sound like traditional puker radio people. It's a refreshing change from the mundane.
                        Not quite sure what "traditional puker radio people" sound like! Earlier today I was listening to an online radio station and ended up changing stations 'cuz the announcer's voice was so annoying and his delivery was irritating. Musta been his own station!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Not quite sure what "traditional puker radio people" sound like!
                          It's a REALLY JUMPY volume-shifting
                          "you're-gonna-win-
                          -BIG-
                          -BIG-
                          -BIG!"

morning-zoo kind of sound.

"Puker" because the announcer sounds sorta like they are ... *ahem* ... "hurling" each word out.

Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post

LOL that's why I looked at this thread too! I was disappointed as you are to see the "I" instead of the mystery "L" that has gone elsewhere...yeah, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              [...]Does that help?
                              I'm not sure!!! For you local radio listeners, if Mahlon Moore is considered a puker radio person then I guess I like pukers!

Comment

Working...
                              X