X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    [...]But if you start off thinking small, that's all you'll ever end up being. Good for Andy in shooting for the stars now.
    Bingo!!!
    Eventually though, for the show to remain a fixture on the airwaves, he's gonna have to find a niche. As for whether there is a market for a Hawaii-based late night talk show taped before a live audience, no one knows if it will succeed or not until someone actually tries it. And Andy is just as good as any candidate to be the first.
    I think audience tickets and a larger audience might help the show and give Andy that feedback and energy comedians and hosts need. Maybe offer blocks of tickets to potential corporate sponsors, to UH students, to HT members (); various groups that can fill the seats. Make attending the show a "must do" event. That should help to spread the word and generate interest.

I remember when the Arsenio Hall show first started. A staffer went to Loyola Marymount U with enough tickets to fill that stage's audience section. My daughter got one and showed up. She ended up on the show playing Arsenio's version of The Price is Right along with Bob Barker!!!

A half hour just isn't enough time for a late night type show but I'm counting on Andy to make it successful enough to go to one hour.

GOOOOOOOO ANDY!!!

Comment

Right now the show is looking for sponsorships. At the end of the credits for Tuesday's night show there was an annoucement for those wishing to sponsor the show. No other information was available for being a guest or being an audenice member.

And if they are taping their shows on Monday and Thursday it will be more than likey doing the 1/2 hour format. Taping three shows on Monday is going to eat up at least 2 hours assuming nothing bad happens that requires redoing a segment.

Also does the Honolulu Design Center closes during the taping or just a certain part of the store is unavailable during taping since you don't want anyone coming in looking to buy furniture while Andy is doing the show? Then again it might be the start of running joke that every so often the set pieces get taken off during the show because they got purchased.

Comment

Thanks for the correction on the name of the 'set'....it is indeed the Honolulu Design Center....at the corner of Pi'ikoi Street and Kapi'olani Blvd. It's home to the only ENOMATIC wine dispensing system in Hawaii...it's a new concept but totaly cool....

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
          when does it come on? What channel?
          Originally posted by helen View Post
          9:30 pm, on KFVE (channel 5), looks like Monday to Friday nights.
          It also re-airs on CW (digital channel 93) at 12:00 midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Here's some more information that was in the Star-Bulletin last month.
            Thanks for this link, Burl. Dunno how I missed it earlier! I was happy to read the following:
            ...A new half-hour show every weeknight, later expanding to an hour? They'll have to be on their toes right out of the starting blocks. Is there enough talent floating about in Hawaii every week to keep it fresh?

Bryan is confident. "And we'd like to position ourselves like Johnny Carson and discover new talent -- Hawaii has many great young filmmakers, for example," said Bryan...
            A springboard for local talent. I like that.
            Originally posted by helen View Post
            [...]And if they are taping their shows on Monday and Thursday it will be more than likey doing the 1/2 hour format. Taping three shows on Monday is going to eat up at least 2 hours assuming nothing bad happens that requires redoing a segment.
            That would be with no warm-up and not swapping out the audience. At this point it doesn't sound like there's enough of an audience to do that.
            Also does the Honolulu Design Center closes during the taping or just a certain part of the store is unavailable during taping since you don't want anyone coming in looking to buy furniture while Andy is doing the show?
            I guess that depends on when the store closes and the show starts taping.
            Then again it might be the start of running joke that every so often the set pieces get taken off during the show because they got purchased.
            That could be a funny schtick but it would have to be scripted because of extraneous noise! Which leads me to wonder what other, fun segments the show could create, esp. those that might resonate on a local level. I'd love to see ideas from the HTers!

I mentioned mine earlier...a BoC from the Murakai 99¢ Store, where most items are $1.49!!!

Next!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              A half hour just isn't enough time for a late night type show but I'm counting on Andy to make it successful enough to go to one hour.
              Half an hour is plenty of time. Carson Daly's been doing it for the last five years with Last Call on NBC.

Comment

Was at the Thursday Taping. Looks like folks can wander in and sit down(as long as the store is open). 1 show took 2 hours to tape with crew calling for restarts during the monologue or 1st segment. It really killed audience reaction (having heard the same joke/bit 2 time prior). They gotta get to "live-to-tape" like the big boys or it'll kill the production(don't wander off the set Andy..back on in 2minutes). Industrial grade video switcher/cameras.. very confined set area.. no audience shots..with a can't see anything in the background after the sun goes down set. Note Tuesday nights show started with a 7ish pm lighting and you could see outside.. 2minutes of TV time later its all black outside (cause they stopped/restarted/stopped way too many times).
                All new productions have bugs in 'em but this one sure has more than the usual. I am very much in favor of local programming so I hope they work 'em out quickly. 260 weekdays a year is a pretty aggressive schedule! Good luck to them. I think a well produced once-a-week would be hard enough... There's a reason Johnny Carson had a 20 man writer staff.

Comment

I caught last nights show. Andy was great, I think a 30 minute format will work and the the stuff his producers bought at Long's was awesome.

Did you catch what KHON TV-2 was running at 9:00 & 9:30 pm? INFO-mercials. The 9 pm info-mercial was selling a mop and the 9:30 pm one was disgusting, bowl movement stuff. I know KHON is running off all their news talent, they are certainly going to run off all their viewers with these types of info-mercials. Friends and Raymond are good TV watching shows, but with Andy doing his thing up against info-mercials, Andy will get bettering ratings and ratings is what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Betamax View Post
                    Was at the Thursday Taping. Looks like folks can wander in and sit down(as long as the store is open). 1 show took 2 hours to tape with crew calling for restarts during the monologue or 1st segment. It really killed audience reaction (having heard the same joke/bit 2 time prior). They gotta get to "live-to-tape" like the big boys or it'll kill the production(don't wander off the set Andy..back on in 2minutes). Industrial grade video switcher/cameras.. very confined set area.. no audience shots..with a can't see anything in the background after the sun goes down set. Note Tuesday nights show started with a 7ish pm lighting and you could see outside.. 2minutes of TV time later its all black outside (cause they stopped/restarted/stopped way too many times).
                    All new productions have bugs in 'em but this one sure has more than the usual.
                    Thanks for the insight you provide as one of the audience members. During the Long's BoC segment, there appeared to be a wierd edit right in the middle. And I agree with Helen. While having the intersection of Piikoi and Kapiolani in the background is neat, it can be distracting when it suddenly changes from a 7pm environment to 8:30. But the show is just beginning and first impressions are important. I guess these editing/re-take gremlins are the price of trying to present to the TV audience (which is far larger than the "studio" audience) a presentation free of flubs and mistakes on the part of Andy and his guests, as well as perhaps some technical glitches (like out-of-focus cameras) on the part of the production crew. NT wants to be taken seriously and not come across like some local version of Fernwood 2-Nite. But as everyone gets more comfortable and confident, you would hope that the taping sessions would go down more smoothly.

As far as camera shots of the audience, I would have to say that it is probably a wise decision at this point NOT to have them if there's only a small handful watching. As I said, first impressions are very important. Maybe when the audience gets bigger and every other aspect of the show becomes more polished, then audience shots could be incorporated.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm flying in to do a benefit show for the Kamehameha Lions Club on Saturday, August 18. I'll be on the show next week Friday to pimp that out(shooting on Wednesday night). Come on down and hang out!

The Soup Nazi from Seinfeld is doing the show with me on Saturday, so maybe he'll be at the Night Time taping as well.

Who knows? Just be there.

Comment

Please note that I wish them all success.
                        If yah hear an audience, if yah refer to an audience.. yah gotta show at least some of them (even if it's backs of heads with Andy in the background). The director has to be quicker "on-the-take". Comedy is all about timing and a slow take/reaction shot can blow the timing. For the most part, Andy held props correctly, placing them on the table.. quicker camera-reaction and the setup/punchline will work a lot better. They have to find a better wide-shot (maybe via lens change) for the set. Nice signage on the front of the desk was never seen. Mikes seemed muffled (Andy and guests wear lapel mikes.. the desk mike appears to be non-functional). Quite frankly, I was impressed with his patience and ability to "recue" due to technical restarts. Andy was camera searching sometimes.. Carson always had a reaction "mug-shot" camera he could go to.. but the director has to stay on top of it. Again, best of luck to them.. its aggressive, something new, and local.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                          I'm flying in to do a benefit show for the Kamehameha Lions Club on Saturday, August 18. I'll be on the show next week Friday to pimp that out(shooting on Wednesday night). Come on down and hang out![...]Who knows? Just be there.
                          So, it's a Wednesday night taping, not Thursday? Maybe THAT should be the HT night! The audience can...Just. Show. Up. ??? What time?
                          Originally posted by Betamax View Post
                          Please note that I wish them all success.
                          If yah hear an audience, if yah refer to an audience.. yah gotta show at least some of them (even if it's backs of heads with Andy in the background). The director has to be quicker "on-the-take". Comedy is all about timing and a slow take/reaction shot can blow the timing. For the most part, Andy held props correctly, placing them on the table.. quicker camera-reaction and the setup/punchline will work a lot better. They have to find a better wide-shot (maybe via lens change) for the set. Nice signage on the front of the desk was never seen. Mikes seemed muffled (Andy and guests wear lapel mikes.. the desk mike appears to be non-functional). Quite frankly, I was impressed with his patience and ability to "recue" due to technical restarts. Andy was camera searching sometimes.. Carson always had a reaction "mug-shot" camera he could go to.. but the director has to stay on top of it. Again, best of luck to them.. its aggressive, something new, and local.
                          High 5, Betamax (I was gonna refer to you as "BM", but decided against it...). We really need to be patient with the show and allow them time to iron out the glitches, as you well know. Hopefully the sponsors will do the same. How many cameras are they using?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                            I'm flying in to do a benefit show for the Kamehameha Lions Club on Saturday, August 18. I'll be on the show next week Friday to pimp that out(shooting on Wednesday night). Come on down and hang out!
                            Dude, if I come down and hang out in a furniture store, I'd rather be checking out the new beds.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Wednesday's night episode had Frank De Lima and Paul Wee who worked on the Simpsons movie. I didn't think Frank would be on so soon.

Another unexpected bit was the old Bumavision segment that parodied a commerical that offered a service to those needing entry to their home that they got locked out.

The bad part of the episode is that someone has taking pictures with a flash during the openning segment.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                Dude, if I come down and hang out in a furniture store, I'd rather be checking out the new beds.
                                Have you ever seen me interviewed? Trust me, those beds will come in handy. ZZzzzzzz

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                So, it's a Wednesday night taping, not Thursday? Maybe THAT should be the HT night! The audience can...Just. Show. Up. ??? What time?
                                Wednesday, August 15. Show starts at 7pm. Of course, if I'm wrong, then we'll just head over to Side Street for fried rice and pork chops.

Comment

Working...
                                X