X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by zff View Post
    How about a huge Hawaiian mahu covering events on-location like Ross the Intern does for Leno? Maybe get some of the popular female newscasters from their sister station (KHNL) as guests, flirt heavily with them, and ask them all sorts of racy titillating questions? (This is late night TV after all.) Interview people stuck in traffic on Ft. Weaver. Rebroadcast some K5 or KHNL news stories and add humorous commentary. Get that one Braddah to do a recurring bit as Linda Lingle. The list is endless.
    I hope someone involved in the production of the show reads this thread.
    I hope they read your post as well as you should write for the show, your ideas are clever and hilarious.

Maybe they can get Frank DeLima to come out in drag doing some skit like he does in THE CAB ads, maybe they could be a sponsor and have it as part of the act?

Aj

Comment

On tonight's show I kept seeing a camera flash going off. Annoying. Have a general announcement before the show: No photography on set.

And whoever was "on the switch" was slow -- Andy would show a book or photo and I kept thinking, "Cut to what Andy's holding. Cut to what Andy's holding." Several seconds later, they'd cut to that shot just in time to show Andy pulling it off the desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        And whoever was "on the switch" was slow -- Andy would show a book or photo and I kept thinking, "Cut to what Andy's holding. Cut to what Andy's holding." Several seconds later, they'd cut to that shot just in time to show Andy pulling it off the desk.
        Slow switch or slow camera? With it that slow, I'm betting slow camera.

Comment

OFF TOPIC, Excuse Me Please

I'm really glad I read this thread as I was at the Don Ho Memorial and saw the girl that played, I thought it was a mandolin, but guess it was an 8-string ukelele. I thought she stole the show that night. Could never find out who she was, and I did try to find out. Now I know it was Taimane Gardner. Will look into her further and send her name to friends on the mainland.

Hope "Night Time" is a hit.
          You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Slow switch or slow camera? With it that slow, I'm betting slow camera.
            Me too... The camera that gets the props on the desk appears to be the main guest camera shot so he has to go from guest to prop...and can't go until the director "gets off his existing shot"...which shouldn't be a problem if you anticipate the move being needed. Yah just gotta watch and listen.
            When I saw a taping, it was a 3 camera shoot. That could be sufficient with good staging, however, the space is cramped.. the cameras almost on top of the set..the set almost on top of the windows in back. I am not a big fan of JVC cameras and I think thats part of the "look" problem. Industrial cameras are at best.... industrial.
            The Mrs Hawaii bit was probably 2 minutes long last week making it probably about 1:30 too long.
            I think they should revisit the entire set-up. The existing set is just gonna cause them problems.. maybe (since they don't show the audience anyways) move the whole thing forward about 10 feet or so... creates a nice entry look from behind a wall on the left... gets Andy away from the window.. opens up the area to better wide shots.. 'course that's expensive floor space for the furniture store so I'm sure negogiating that would really be problematical...but maybe they should try ask...

my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
              Well, he better have some protection bumbai someone will try to snatch their vidoe camera.
              Then no ride on CityExpress Route A toward Waipahu.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The problem with filming "almost live" and taping the show in batches is that Andy can't do a monologue on local current events.

Comment

One thing I've noticed when doing events live vs taped is that when you're used to doing things live, you tend not to f*ck up as you know you have only one chance to do it right.

So when you tape an event, you know you can redo it so you tend not to do your best.

When I had to emcee events, no problem the words and annunciation flowed freely. But when I had to produce a 30-second commercial...oh man I think I'd get it right after cut number 10 or so. Then there's the live read...man I wished I had the recorder going then as live reads typically sound great!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Last night's show was at least 50% advertising!!! Tardus Wealth Strategies is a new sponsor and the CEO, Tanisha Souza (what a gorgeous, well spoken young woman), was a guest!

That's not a criticism, mind you, just an observation!

Comment

Tardus has been airing 2 ads per Night Time show since last Tuesday (I didn't watch the first show on Monday).

Comment

Wow! I don't know how I missed those earlier Tardus spots. But, I did!!!

Comment

I thought Andy's monologue was pretty good last night. The smattering of laughter from the tiny studio audience makes it sound like he's bombing horribly, though. They really need to get more people in there. The bit from the dog park was ok too.

Keep up the good work, Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            The problem with filming "almost live" and taping the show in batches is that Andy can't do a monologue on local current events.
                            My guess is it's to keep the budget down. When you're shooting in a place that's not a dedicated studio, there's time needed for setup and breakdown, as well as doing the show itself. More efficient to do a bunch and pay everyone for just one day of work. I know shows like "Hawaii Stars" do the same thing. Slightly off topic, but can you believe that show is STILL on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                              I thought Andy's monologue was pretty good last night. The smattering of laughter from the tiny studio audience makes it sound like he's bombing horribly, though. They really need to get more people in there. The bit from the dog park was ok too.

Keep up the good work, Andy!
                              There's a thing called an applause EFX. They need it when a good laugh is required.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                There's a thing called an applause EFX. They need it when a good laugh is required.
                                Is that what's it's called in the digital age? In the olden days it was called canned laughter and canned applause.
                                I was thinking last night's show coulda used both...all the shows, actually! I agree with zff.

Comment

Working...
                                X