X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by dick View Post
    Wasn't the Bulletin. We haven't been to the show.
    Ok...you're off the hook.
    http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
      im not feeling the love yet for this show. Kind of corny if you ask me, but it has potential. I want to see it get better and do well.

Agreed. It seems that the show is trying to be a late-nite show taped in New York rather than HNL. What happened to the local-kine humor? I'd like to see more of that in the tradition of Rap, Frank, and, well, Andy Bumatai.

Comment

Originally posted by ifcancan View Post
        Agreed. It seems that the show is trying to be a late-nite show taped in New York rather than HNL. What happened to the local-kine humor? I'd like to see more of that in the tradition of Rap, Frank, and, well, Andy Bumatai.
        Aside from the show itself, perhaps you may want to check out venues like these (this past Saturday at the Laughs for Lions)
        http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1187592848

...and something like this, "The Nahenahe Comedy Fest II"
        http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1185162627

Most of the local comics are here...
        http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB...rd=Comedy_news

I'm pretty sure that the local comics are in line to be on Andy's show. If you caught last Friday's 8/17 show, Paul Ogata was on stage for a 3 minute bit with some local humor.
        http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Originally posted by ifcancan View Post
          I believe Andy, Jim and company are hoping for eventual syndication of the show. Andy even alluded to that last night. If so, then they have to gear the show appropriately. For the most part, local humor will be lost on a mainland audience but a little here and a little there should be fine. E_R, please correct me if I'm wrong!

I loved seeing that rascal, Varoa Tiki, last night but found the majority of her reactions to Andy Baldwin a bit chilly, for lack of a better word. And, I found it interesting that the topic of Tessa never came up...per advance directives would be my guess!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I believe Andy, Jim and company are hoping for eventual syndication of the show. Andy even alluded to that last night. If so, then they have to gear the show appropriately. For the most part, local humor will be lost on a mainland audience but a little here and a little there should be fine. E_R, please correct me if I'm wrong!
            Yeah, you're on target, at least on Andy's side. As for other local comedians, it's going to be "whatever happens, happens" type of deal.

Comment

The show is definitely getting better. I love the fact that Andy answered some emails on the air. I like that interaction with the viewing audience. I think that can be an important part of the appeal of a locally-produced show.

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
              If you'd like to complain about the appearance of Paul Ogata on Night Time, hit up their website.
              Paul, you were hilarious. The show needs more funny local comedians like you.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                The show is definitely getting better. I love the fact that Andy answered some emails on the air. I like that interaction with the viewing audience. I think that can be an important part of the appeal of a locally-produced show.
                Let's hope Andy no find about the HT messageboard.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  If one of his minions posts here, you can bet he knows about it...

Comment

Why? Just curious!

Comment

• Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Cuz then going be hard fo' me to talk stink about him.

Comment

Nuthin' wrong with constructive stink!

Comment

Okay. I've now seen this two nights in a row, and I have to say this about the show: Like a LOT of local stuffs, this is well-intentioned and sincere, but technically pretty crappy. This thing needs better lighting, better sound, and better editing.

When Andy introduces the band, the band needs to jump right on its cue, rather than take two seconds to get into its song. There are shadows all over the place here, and the sound is hollow-sounding.

I think Andy's got the charisma to pull this off; I just don't think he's being supported well.

That extended thing he did with the girl boxer today? That could have been great. The tech guy he had put on the gloves was the funniest thing on the program, and the girl had all kinds of charm and charisma. Everything is just too crammed into too small a stage space.

Okay, that David guy is back on, and he's just hilarious. That "why me?" look he's got is comedy gold.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            Okay. I've now seen this two nights in a row, and I have to say this about the show: Like a LOT of local stuffs, this is well-intentioned and sincere, but technically pretty crappy. This thing needs better lighting, better sound, and better editing.

When Andy introduces the band, the band needs to jump right on its cue, rather than take two seconds to get into its song. There are shadows all over the place here, and the sound is hollow-sounding.

I think Andy's got the charisma to pull this off; I just don't think he's being supported well.

That extended thing he did with the girl boxer today? That could have been great. The tech guy he had put on the gloves was the funniest thing on the program, and the girl had all kinds of charm and charisma. Everything is just too crammed into too small a stage space.

Okay, that David guy is back on, and he's just hilarious. That "why me?" look he's got is comedy gold.
                            The only low point of tonight's segment is the monologue or lack thereof. Didn't like the sketch with the "station's lawyer."

At least Andy found his own "Biff Henderson" (i.e., the aforementioned tech guy).

Oh, and it runs a few minutes too long. It should end so I can watch the beginning of the news in the other stations.

If they're going to do a sketch, Andy should ask one of his Booga-Booga pals for act as a furniture store sales rep trying to sell pieces of his set ... during the show.
                            Last edited by Random; August 21, 2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Okay. I've now seen this two nights in a row, and I have to say this about the show: Like a LOT of local stuffs, this is well-intentioned and sincere, but technically pretty crappy. This thing needs better lighting, better sound, and better editing.[...]
                              Hopefully, when the show moves to the HHV, the technical aspects will improve. I haven't seen the set and it's surroundings but I'd guess the large glass window wall behind Andy and what appears to be small space are presenting lighting challenges. The sound can be influenced by the room. Of course, with the right budget the right equipment can help to alleviate that problem. Ditto the lighting. It's called growing pains. All new shows have 'em!

Personally I'd rather see the guests walk on stage from camera right instead of Andy having to walk all the way around his desk. Leno's floor plan is great, I think. Guests enter the stage between Leno and the band and Leno doesn't have to walk any further than the end of his desk unless, of course, there's a beautiful starlet who he feels deserves a great, big hug!

I agree...David's great whether or not that's his intent! And I don't think it is! Oh, and the "band" (a trio) has changed. Miles the bass player has replaced Rocky the reed player. Dunno if that's just a sub situation or permanent. I'd like to see it become a quartet! Budget? What budget?

Comment

At least Andy found his own "Biff Henderson" (i.e., the aforementioned tech guy).
                                Yeah, that's the same thing I was thinking. Now if he can only find his big Hawaiian "Ross the Intern" mahu to cover local events, this show would really take off.

Comment

Working...
                                X