X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by zff View Post
    Yeah, that's the same thing I was thinking. Now if he can only find his big Hawaiian "Ross the Intern" mahu to cover local events, this show would really take off.
    Leno's correspondents make that show for me. The current cookie lady covering sports is hysterical. The former 90+ year old fruitcake lady, who in real life was Truman Capote's aunt, was wildly funny dishing out advice, much of it relating to sex! Sending his Jay Walkers to various functions and locations makes a mockery of the Jay Walkers but leaves me on the floor laughing. And remember the gal with the crazy laugh? Man, she was funny! IIRC, she became the first correspondent after a stint as a Jay Walker.

I REALLY think Paul Ogata would be a great Leno correspondent! I'd love to see him cover Sumo wrestling! But, to get back on topic...a local Ross would be great. Might be hard to find, tho'. I have an incredible, 85 year old, haole, lady friend who'd be a hoot reporting from the major surfing or volleyball events. It's that dichotomy that's so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      The only low point of tonight's segment is the monologue or lack thereof. Didn't like the sketch with the "station's lawyer."
      Even for it's 3rd week, I get the impression the show's running gag is "anything to avoid doing the monologue".

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I REALLY think Paul Ogata would be a great Leno correspondent! I'd love to see him cover Sumo wrestling! But, to get back on topic...a local Ross would be great.
      David "Intern to the stars" Lee seems to do okay as a stage hand but he is kind of silent guy to be out in the field interviewing the person on the street.

Monday night's quaility control person kind of got sidetracked during her time on the show. Andy hinted she will return so she might be another person who "voids the monologue". Maybe she might be prefect for getting the person on the street views.

Comment

• Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        If one of his minions posts here, you can bet he knows about it...
        OMG...who would that be?
        Hopefully, when the show moves to the HHV, the technical aspects will improve.
        HHV???? Where did that come from? Sounds like a rumor to me.

Personally, I think the imperfection is the perfection of what makes the show different. Most of us are trained to think that NT should be modeled after Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, Kilbourn, blah, blah, blah...but ultimately, the magic comes from the guests and the inherent "mana" of what's going on.

Oops, and Whoops are common. I'm sure if you toss $$$$$$$$$$$$, you'll be Gauranteed a polished product...promise!

In the meantime, if you can forgive the technical quirks, and just live with who's on, and the story that they tell, or info that they provide, you'll enjoy the show even more.

Upcoming....Robi Kahakalau & Sean Naauau...along with the Larry Thompson a.k.a. the SOUP NAZI...check this out...(from the Laughs for Lions II event)
        http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1187592848

Robi & Sean ROCKED! That's up in a few days.

Taping is at 7pm THIS Thursday...everyone is welcome. Bring applause, laughter and cheer please!
        http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler
          Personally, I think the imperfection is the perfection of what makes the show different. Most of us are trained to think that NT should be modeled after Leno, Letterman, Ferguson, Kilbourn, blah, blah, blah...but ultimately, the magic comes from the guests and the inherent "mana" of what's going on.
          I can agree with this on a few levels. The deliberately lo-fi sound of a lot of 70s punk, for example, was part of the whole philosophy of the genre: A backlash against the grandeur of prog, the pomp of metal, and the glitter of disco, sloppy play and poor production were also the message. The poor quality of stuff on YouTube is the result of the limitations of the medium, but the tradeoff is that it puts the medium in everyone's hands. As I've said on HT before, I'm a fan of public access TV for the same reasons.

Other times, the technical limitations can be overlooked because, as you say, the content itself is brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time is Fates Warning's The Spectre Within, a genre-defining album. It is a great album, but even though I've listened to it a hundred times, I am ever aware of the fact that the sound is just awful. Unlike the recordings of great punk acts, this recording is hindered by poor production; it just happens to be so good that despite the hindrance, it's still a classic.

In Hawaii, we always appreciate a sincere effort -- this is why Hawaii Stars scores are always 9.90 at the lowest! We turn a blind eye to the crappy aspects of something because we like to celebrate the spirit of a performance. I think this cripples a lot of local productions, because we've come to expect that forbearance, instead of making every effort to make the forbearance unnecessary. "Good enough for Hawaii" seems to be the attitude, and most of the time I can live with it. I just consider Andy Bumatai to be one of those talents who is better than "good enough for Hawaii" (also on that list: Kalani Simpson), and if someone would put forth the effort to make sure he sounds and looks as good as hosts on other shows, we wouldn't feel it necessary to invent things like, "The imperfection is part of the perfection." If you really, truly feel that way, are you saying that improving the technical aspects of the show will decrease its overall quality?

You can say that about a Sex Pistols' album, home-made beer, and Auntie Myrna's teri-burgers (she always puts too much sugar, but they wouldn't be Auntie's teri-burgers any other way!), but I don't think you can say it about Andy's show. Better sound, better lighting, better staging, and better editing would make the show better, not worse.
          Last edited by scrivener; August 22, 2007, 12:40 AM. Reason: "no one told you when to run; you've missed the starting gun . . ."
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Leno's correspondents make that show for me. The current cookie lady covering sports is hysterical......
            Agreed. A uniquely Hawaiian equivalent to Jaywalking or the Fruitcake Lady would be fun to watch. In fact, almost any decently put together daytime segment out in the public would be fun to watch. Is that kind of thing really hard to do on a shoestring budget? (It's an honest question. I really have no idea.)

But, to get back on topic...a local Ross would be great. Might be hard to find, tho'.
            Really? I was thinking since I personally know a huge Samoan mahu, it can't be too hard for someone in local show business to find a suitable character. Interestingly, I can't say I know any old haole ladies who would be a good fruitcake lady, though. Just depends on where you grew up, I guess.

Comment

The area around Borthwick Mortuary might be good casting for finding some mahu's. I'd love to see Frank DeLima on the show, he sure is slimming down, but good for his health. I like the guests but still can't see how they can get this show sold in syndication unless they got some big big Hollywood names on the show.

Just having it a locally produced show with local celebs or interesting local people is fine by me and if you can get a Hollywood celeb every now and then that is great. Also having a running skit like Letterman does his stupid pet tricks or Top 10 would be great too.

Aj

Comment

Well, that, and maybe the freedom to do a little adult humor when the cameras aren't rolling!

Many moons ago I worked at CBS TV City in LA. There were many shows being filmed in front of a live audience. Children under 12 weren't allowed. Not necessarily because of adult language but tapings started and stopped and could go on for hours. Kids get restless. I have no idea what the live audience rules are today.
                That is true with some shows. Although with Andy himself, I doubt if that would be a concern. In his live performances, he keeps his humor clean. (In fact, his poster says "Always relevant. Never vulgar.")

Of course, who knows about Andy's guests,....
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  "The imperfection is part of the perfection." If you really, truly feel that way, are you saying that improving the technical aspects of the show will decrease its overall quality?
                  How's this, yes AND no. it's the growing pains, and the fact that you need to inject $$$$, lot's of it. Most of the NT work is done out of love. The production crew, Lewis Communications, puts on quality work in commercials, including their long time running Ohana Road, which has gone over the 200+ episode mark a few months back. Tons of other projects are also included. So if you are comparing technical quality and content, the difference lies in cost.

***NOTE*** To clarify "out of love"...Everyone involved is doing this BELOW cost, and putting their own blood, sweat, and tears to make this take off...which it is.

Check this out for SOME of LC's work. There are hundreds of other projects not displayed.;
                  http://www.lewiscommunications.tv/portfolio.asp

In every post of this thread, the one thing that is overlooked is the fact, "How much does this show cost? No one has ever brought that up.

For every little technical detail that slips through the cracks, it can be caught by an extra hired member for the show. For every one that thinks the lighting is bad, ah, just get more lights. Don't like the furniture store? Build a permanent set. Don't like a DV JVC Industrial PRO Cam that cost $12K? Buy a new one.

Everyone on the set is multi-tasking. Look at David, he's got to control the audience (hold up applause signs), setup the timer for Andy, AND be the butt of Andy's jokes.

Maybe that wasn't the greatest example...but I hope you folks know what I mean.

Plus all the gear needs to be dragged-in and out for each taping...that's such a hassle as I'm sometimes a drag-ee.

Certainly the crew knows they're either doing a good job or not and know how to recognize the problems and correct them. I can say they are doing fine and can always do better. Ultimately they are working on it.

If you're a fan, come down to the taping and show your Aloha. Bring your own camera and get a picture with Andy. That's always good. The next shoot is Thursday 8/23. I "may" be at that one.

As long as you cheer for team NT, the show will get better. Keep watching.

Please.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  In Hawaii, we always appreciate a sincere effort
                  You nailed this one on the head my friend!
                  http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
                    [...]HHV???? Where did that come from? Sounds like a rumor to me.
                    Rumor? TeeHee! Follow the link in this post!!!
                    [...]In the meantime, if you can forgive the technical quirks, and just live with who's on, and the story that they tell, or info that they provide, you'll enjoy the show even more.[...]
                    I think the majority of us are enjoying the show and I, for one, am pulling for it to be a huge success. But, keeping mainland sydication in mind, that audience won't be as forgiving of technical flaws as the local audience tends to be. The local market is a good place to work out those glitches because we are more forgiving.
                    [...]In every post of this thread, the one thing that is overlooked is the fact, "How much does this show cost? No one has ever brought that up.
                    Please reread this thread. Budget has been addressed using that exact word, not dollar amounts. People not involved in production really don't understand dollar amounts but they can see where a production has glitches. I think this thread is totally in support of the show and giving valuable feedback.
                    [...]As long as you cheer for team NT, the show will get better. Keep watching.

Please.
                    I will! I love watching a show grow and improve. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having growing pains early on. It's expected. Hopefully you'll accept constructive criticism for what it's worth...the desire to see Andy and the show succeed. If comments start to be aimed below the belt then just ignore them. Really!

Comment

Rumor? TeeHee! Follow the link in this post!!!
                      To date and from the horse's mouth, Rumor. A couple locations are being kicked around, not to rule out the HHV. The K5 website ran with an early casual mention. But who knows, someone from HHV reading this may want to take advantage of a rare opportunity.

Please reread this thread. Budget has been addressed using that exact word, not dollar amounts.
                      See...a good example of something falling through the cracks. I stand corrected.

Comment

To date and from the horse's mouth, Rumor. A couple locations are being kicked around, not to rule out the HHV. The K5 website ran with an early casual mention. But who knows, someone from HHV reading this may want to take advantage of a rare opportunity.
                        Well...DAYAM...I'm really pulling for the HHV. Because of it's proximity to where I spend the majority of my time I could become to NT what "Lenny" is to the Today Show! He's been a member of the street audience for so long he even gets a birthday cake now!!!
                        See...a good example of something falling through the cracks. I stand corrected.
                        No problem. It's hard to stay on top of everything discussed in a lengthy thread.

Many of us who have ideas based on Leno, Letterman, et al suggest them because, obviously, we find them a "hit". Hopefully NT can take those ideas in the spirit in which they're suggested and find hit skits that will help to drop kick this show right into syndication!

Comment

Well...DAYAM...I'm really pulling for the HHV. Because of it's proximity to where I spend the majority of my time I could become to NT what "Lenny" is to the Today Show! He's been a member of the street audience for so long he even gets a birthday cake now!!!
                          After reading about the HHV, that would be 5 minutes away from my office...much more convenient with a casual walk. Plus you can stop by the Wailana on the way down for dinner or even drinks at the bar.

Many of us who have ideas based on Leno, Letterman, et al suggest them because, obviously, we find them a "hit". Hopefully NT can take those ideas in the spirit in which they're suggested and find hit skits that will help to drop kick this show right into syndication!
                          Agreed!

Comment

Not to take anything away from Lewis Communications. They do great work, however multi-cam production is not its forte.

Some of us who read this thread would be more than happy & able to assist them, if the powers that be are interested, with a choice of broadcast multi-cam flypac systems that are readily available at a cost to meet their budget.

I for one loudly applaud anyone attempting to produce local programming, and I'm always more than willing to lend my support, or at the very least moral support.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                              Not to take anything away from Lewis Communications. They do great work, however multi-cam production is not its forte.

Some of us who read this thread would be more than happy & able to assist them, if the powers that be are interested, with a choice of broadcast multi-cam flypac systems that are readily available at a cost to meet their budget.

I for one loudly applaud anyone attempting to produce local programming, and I'm always more than willing to lend my support, or at the very least moral support.
                              I'm all for moral support. Perhaps for my own productivity (cuz I do other things that have nothing to do with the show itself), I'm going to take a step back from this thread and simply lurk. There are GREAT people here...that's for sure. Keep posting.
                              Last edited by Exhaulted_Ruler; August 22, 2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

[...]Oh, and the "band" (a trio) has changed. Miles the bass player has replaced Rocky the reed player. Dunno if that's just a sub situation or permanent. I'd like to see it become a quartet![...]
                                BINGO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X